E*TRADE Financial Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

Sort:

Associate IT Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I had two phone interviews back-to-back with a senior manager of both the IT Architect and Software Engineering teams. The following day I had a phone interview with a Principal IT Architect.

The Software Engineering manager mostly just asked me questions about my previous experiences.

The IT Architect manager asked me behavioral questions like what my goals in life are. He also asked me technical questions about linked lists and encryption methods.

The Principal IT Architect didn't really ask me too many questions. I believe he wanted to see how inquisitive I was regarding the IT Architecture process at E*TRADE.

The people I interviewed with were all very nice. They all had sense of humors (which I have found to be consistently absent at other engineering-based companies) and were easy-going.

Interview Questions

• How can you search a linked list for a specific node entry?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between the RC4 and DES ciphers?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation is available for the NCA (New College Associate) program.

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Newark, NJ).

Interview

One phone interview, one on-site interview.

The phone interview was just to get an idea of my background and experience.

The on-site interview consisted of speaking with 3 different engineers. Most of the questions asked were related to knowledge of C++ concepts. Other questions had no definite answer, they were used to analyze thought processes when faced with a problem.

Interview Questions

• There is a line of prisoners. Each prisoner faces the prisoner in front of him/her. Each prisoner is wearing a red or black hat, and the prisoner can see the color of the hat of everyone in front of him/her. The prison warden asks each prisoner what color they think their hat is. What color should each one pick to have a good chance of being correct?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, and only 5-business days were given to choose whether or not to accept the offer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

I had a technical phone interview with the hiring manager, and then was invited to interview on site shortly after for the NCA program. The on site interview was not as technical. Received an offer the next day. They were very quick with the whole process; it was pleasant.

Interview Questions

• They just wanted to know how I would respond to certain situations, none of the questions were particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Alpharetta, GA) in April 2009.

Interview

First I had an on-campus interview with one rep from E-Trade. A few weeks later I was invited to an interview day where several candidates for multiple positions all interviewed with a rotating panel of interviewers from different sectors of the company. They wanted at least 3 separate 1-to-1 interviews that day to get a general feel for each of us from different perspectives. About 3 weeks later I get a call with the job offer. The people who interviewed with me and the HR personnel I was in contact with were all very nice, and willing to discuss the position(s) they had as well as they're personal take on the company. The culture seemed friendly despite the no-windows "fort" appearance of the data center itself. The interviews were not structured and it gave me a chance to talk about whatever skills and experience I have to bring to the job in a friendly conversation environment. Overall a very nice interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

brief interview process. was very unorganized though. Process is phone interview then on site. My phone interviewer did not see my resume, which turned me off because well just as how there is the expectation for interviewees to know about the company and the position, there is the expectation for interviewers to know about you. I asked him why he didnt see my resume and he just said he's busy and had to fill out forms... I proceeded to finish the whole interview out of courtesy. About a week later, I got an invitation for the on site interview. #1: If one of your senior engineers doesn't even read a resume and proceeds to recommend that candidate for an onsite interview, there's something about your company you're not doing right. I asked if there would be reimbursement, which I was promised by recruiter in which she replied yes. So, I thought to myself: "Hey, it'll at least be some good practice for the future." I decided to proceed with the onsite interview. They had me interview at one of their recently acquired startups, so not many people even had a good sense of etrade as a whole because they were really recently acquired. When it's usually my turn to ask the interviewer questions, my main focus is usually on trying to get a sense of what the company is like. Since I couldn't really get a sense of what the company is like, it was pretty impossible for me to even have the slightest idea of considering working at etrade. Despite them being a recently acquired startup, I proceeded to ask my usual questions and got some vague/general bs questions with a number of responses varied around "I haven't been at etrade too long cause I've been at the startup." Another con for me was that it was purely technical questions, they didn't really care to try to get to know you. The process really wasn't holistic, as definitely noted by the fact that the interviewer for my phone interview didn't even read my resume. Despite this mess, I thought I had some good experience in answering technical questions and getting flown out to visit Chicago was cool. My recruiter told me she would've been in touch with me by the end of the following week and asked me to fill out some forms for reimbursement. That was about four and a half weeks ago. Between the last email she sent which was back on the 1st of March, several emails had been sent because I had still not heard back about them about their decision and have still not gotten reimbursement. Despite the promise of reimbursement and it being about a month since I had gone on site to interview with them, I still have not gotten my reimbursement and still have not received a response. My recruiter still has not responded to my emails. It has been almost a month. Unless she has either died or has been kidnapped, she would've responded to me by now and my reimbursement would've come in. There's also a recently posted interview from March 22nd here on glassdoor, so she probably hasn't died or hasn't been kidnapped. If she would've at least sent over the reimbursement, I would still have some respect for them. Again, let's recap. I was promised reimbursement, but never happened. Several emails had been sent about reimbursement and next steps, absolutely nothing. Phone interviewer had not even seen my resume, yet I somehow get recommended for an onsite interview (maybe the guy was drunk....?). For anyone reading this, I hope this provides some valuable insight into etrade.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First screening was with a recruiter after that I got set up for a phone interview with a principal software engineer. Couple of behavioral questions concerning how I handle working with others and some technical questions on searching trees/graphs. Interviewer's accent was a little bit difficult to understand over the phone but we worked through it. After that I was invited onsite to Menlo Park. They interview people as a group I was part of 6 candidates that day and happened to be the only person they flew in. We got to meet with the VP of one of their recently acquired companies and ask questions over lunch. Then we got split up and got interviewed with three different interviewers who were rotating rooms. My first interview was a negative experience it felt like I was getting interrogated more than interviewed. I was asked about my past work experience and a couple of technical questions. Second interviewer was really nice and mostly asked behavioral questions. She was asking difficult behavioral questions and what if scenarios seems like they want to see how you deal with being put under pressure and working with others. Third interviewer was overall positive asking technical questions. Any second year CS student should be able to answer them I found the questions to be really easy. Some string and searching questions were asked. Overall a positive experience minus that first onsite interviewer who made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• How do I reverse a string?   1 Answer
    • Different ways of searching a graph (DFS/BFS). What the differences between the two and how would I speed up a search?   1 Answer

Java Consultant Interview

Interview

mostly core java and j2ee. it was a technical interview with soap and rest web services.They asked more questions about design patterns and how service oriented architecture works.after that some behavioural questions and got selected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnesota Lake, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Minnesota Lake, MN) in April 2010.

Interview

Basic IQ questions, basic probability very detailed Java questions you would be good if you went through the SCJP certification book for an entry level position. Coding started with reverse a string, why recursion, Algorithms for searching and sorting

Interview Questions

• Describe Object References in Java where they are useful and give an example of where you have used them   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Chicago, IL) in May 2009.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was very professional on behalf of E Trade Financial. I was very impressed with the knowledge and information delivered during the interview. It was a laid back fact collecting interview that i found very helpful in deciding if I was interested in future employment at E trade.

Interview Questions

• Can you please describe your most challenging software programming solution?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

i had 1 phone interview and one 1:1 interview at my school

Then I had 6 rounds of 1:1 interview with 6 different hiring managers . all asking same thing

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much, pretty much got what they offered