E*TRADE Financial Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

2.7

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

After much interest from a specific team about skills indicated on my resume, I was set up relatively quickly by my recruiter for an interview with the hiring manager, a contractor developer, and a third undefined person. When I arrived at the building the front desk had not received an indication I would be arriving, so I had to state my reason for being there and who I was supposed to meet with.
    Despite requesting some more information before the interview, I had not received a description or title of the position I was interviewing for, so went into the interview totally blind. Studying and refreshing on technologies listed for the open roles on the website was the wrong thing to do, as the technology stack for the position I was there for turned out to be totally different from the posted roles, blindsiding me. As a result, when meeting with the contractor developer I failed to represent myself to the best of my ability, but was not a total disgrace.
    Next, when meeting with the hiring manager she didn't ask me very much, quickly resorting to the good old "Where do you see yourself in 1 year, 5 years?". She was on her phone the whole time, frequently pausing the conversation to send someone a message. The interview ended when she had to take a call, apologized briefly, and left the room. The contractor developer came back in soon afterward to say the third person wouldn't be able to make it, and the interview was over. Overall it was the most unprofessional interview experience I have ever had, and successfully made me uninterested in ever working there.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 1/5 years?   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial.

Interview

I received a phone call rather quickly after submitting my resume. The one call was a bit forced in the sense no matter what/how I answered a question all I heard back in response was "ok, perfect". No follow up questions based on my answers, or any feedback. I asked quite a few questions, as the job description did not provide a clear description of what to expect. When asking, none of my questions were really answered, and it was a beat around the bush scenario. This made me uncomfortable to continue in their process and not know what the job really meant. I know that the next step of the process were to come in for interviews with a number of employees there, but my job search focus shifted.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First screening was with a recruiter after that I got set up for a phone interview with a principal software engineer. Couple of behavioral questions concerning how I handle working with others and some technical questions on searching trees/graphs. Interviewer's accent was a little bit difficult to understand over the phone but we worked through it. After that I was invited onsite to Menlo Park. They interview people as a group I was part of 6 candidates that day and happened to be the only person they flew in. We got to meet with the VP of one of their recently acquired companies and ask questions over lunch. Then we got split up and got interviewed with three different interviewers who were rotating rooms. My first interview was a negative experience it felt like I was getting interrogated more than interviewed. I was asked about my past work experience and a couple of technical questions. Second interviewer was really nice and mostly asked behavioral questions. She was asking difficult behavioral questions and what if scenarios seems like they want to see how you deal with being put under pressure and working with others. Third interviewer was overall positive asking technical questions. Any second year CS student should be able to answer them I found the questions to be really easy. Some string and searching questions were asked. Overall a positive experience minus that first onsite interviewer who made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• How do I reverse a string?   1 Answer
    • Different ways of searching a graph (DFS/BFS). What the differences between the two and how would I speed up a search?   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in March 2017.

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Had 2 interviews with various managers and they asked questions about experiences. The 3rd and last interview was with the head of the operations training program, but it was just for any questions about the program. position is 45-50 hours per week.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult manager.   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

brief interview process. was very unorganized though. Process is phone interview then on site. My phone interviewer did not see my resume, which turned me off because well just as how there is the expectation for interviewees to know about the company and the position, there is the expectation for interviewers to know about you. I asked him why he didnt see my resume and he just said he's busy and had to fill out forms... I proceeded to finish the whole interview out of courtesy. About a week later, I got an invitation for the on site interview. #1: If one of your senior engineers doesn't even read a resume and proceeds to recommend that candidate for an onsite interview, there's something about your company you're not doing right. I asked if there would be reimbursement, which I was promised by recruiter in which she replied yes. So, I thought to myself: "Hey, it'll at least be some good practice for the future." I decided to proceed with the onsite interview. They had me interview at one of their recently acquired startups, so not many people even had a good sense of etrade as a whole because they were really recently acquired. When it's usually my turn to ask the interviewer questions, my main focus is usually on trying to get a sense of what the company is like. Since I couldn't really get a sense of what the company is like, it was pretty impossible for me to even have the slightest idea of considering working at etrade. Despite them being a recently acquired startup, I proceeded to ask my usual questions and got some vague/general bs questions with a number of responses varied around "I haven't been at etrade too long cause I've been at the startup." Another con for me was that it was purely technical questions, they didn't really care to try to get to know you. The process really wasn't holistic, as definitely noted by the fact that the interviewer for my phone interview didn't even read my resume. Despite this mess, I thought I had some good experience in answering technical questions and getting flown out to visit Chicago was cool. My recruiter told me she would've been in touch with me by the end of the following week and asked me to fill out some forms for reimbursement. That was about four and a half weeks ago. Between the last email she sent which was back on the 1st of March, several emails had been sent because I had still not heard back about them about their decision and have still not gotten reimbursement. Despite the promise of reimbursement and it being about a month since I had gone on site to interview with them, I still have not gotten my reimbursement and still have not received a response. My recruiter still has not responded to my emails. It has been almost a month. Unless she has either died or has been kidnapped, she would've responded to me by now and my reimbursement would've come in. There's also a recently posted interview from March 22nd here on glassdoor, so she probably hasn't died or hasn't been kidnapped. If she would've at least sent over the reimbursement, I would still have some respect for them. Again, let's recap. I was promised reimbursement, but never happened. Several emails had been sent about reimbursement and next steps, absolutely nothing. Phone interviewer had not even seen my resume, yet I somehow get recommended for an onsite interview (maybe the guy was drunk....?). For anyone reading this, I hope this provides some valuable insight into etrade.

Senior Staff Desktop Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online via Monster for the position on January 1 of 2017. I was then contacted via phone on January 9th by Yolanda Deese. After playing phonetag with Yolanda we finally had a brief phone interview. She would then send my information to the local office recruiter for followup. I was then contacted by Chelsea Laflamme on January 11th to confirm an interview for 1/16 but due to the holiday was pushed to 1/17. Unknown to myself was another event on that date that needed my attention. I emailed all parties advising that I was unable to make that time and would like to reschedule. I received a canned response "Unfortunately, our team has decided not to move forward with additional interviews at this time. I would like to note that competition for jobs at E*TRADE is always strong and we often have to make difficult choices between many high-caliber candidates. We will be keeping your resume on file for future openings that better fit your profile." I can understand that they can pick and choose who they want but if someone is willing to take a lower wage and reschedule to accommodate other events then some compromise can be made.

Interview Questions

• Would I be willing to accept a lower wage than what is listed on my resume?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial.

Interview

Interview Process Was Smooth And quick. Three individuals interviewed me. What I was explained during the interview as my job role was completely different than what I actually do and salary was not discussed in the interview.

Financial Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Alpharetta, GA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very original. This is a two hours interview. So, be ready!They will ask you all kind of questions (From where you from to what do you do during your free time). The environment is amazing.They will try to test your knowledge regarding the financial industry. The process is really more like a discussion than a general interview. In addition to that, the staff members are really friendly. Unfortunately, I did not get an offer.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Interviewer was not aware of resume stated experience and was more focus on credentials. The interviewer seemed to very young and inexperienced themselves. Some questions were not pertinent to the job being applied.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Alpharetta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter from career builder. Phone interview . Very basic questions . Set me up with in Person interview for the next week. Interviewd with two managers. Again very basic questions. Make sure you know about the company. I was called two days later with a contingent job offer. Went through background check and credit check. Credit check came back questionable (I have student loans and a few outstanding medical bills) ... was told that if I wrote a statement about the accounts I'd be fine. Was contacted by a different lady (the one who sent the offer letter) and had the offer rescinded 3 days before the start date. When asked the reason she said she didn't know and that she just makes the calls. Hmmm. She recommended that I contact the rep from etrade over the background checks and she never answered a call or emaill. I think it's unfair that she'd email me everyday then when it's time to tell me what happened, I get ignored. This entire process took two months and I couldn't even get an explanation. I could have been searching for other jobs!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time I made a negative situation positive   1 Answer