E*TRADE Financial Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2017

2.7

Associate Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Alpharetta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

Got a call from a recruiter looking to fill roles at E*Trade; submitted my resume, and received a call back from another recruiter to perform a screening interview. I get the feeling the recruiters don't actually look at resumes, have a checklist to work from, and are incapable of thinking outside the box.

I have nearly 20 years of investment services experience and my Series 7/63 licenses, which is all reflected on my resume, but the questions I was being asked were as if I was a kid looking for his/her first job in the industry.

Interview Questions

• They asked what my availability was, because E*Trade is a 24/7 work environment, and thus they need people to fill all available shifts.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in September 2016.

Interview

I found their position description on my university career website. The company was seeking current seniors for full-time hire. I was contacted about a week after applying by a third-party recruiting company called CareerBuilder that partners with E*Trade. An interview asked for my availability for a phone call in the next 2 days and I quickly responded with available times. He didn't respond til the next week when he asked me for more availability, to which I gave available times. Yet again, he didn't respond. Finally, another recruiter from the company emailed me stating that she was "working with the other recruiter to complete the interviews," and we set up a time for a call. She did actually call (though nearly 15 minutes late) only to tell me that it wouldn't work out because E*Trade was looking for someone to start immediately. The position was in an entirely different state than my university, making it obviously impossible for any current senior to fill the position.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Alpharetta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

Their internal recruiter team reached out to me via LinkedIn. After some exchanges over e-mail and phone calls, a phone screen with the hiring manager was setup for the about a week later. In the phone screen the manager asked a questions about my knowledge and background as well as answering several of my questions about the position. About a week went by when I was contacted to schedule a face to face interview on site for about two weeks out. This interview comprised solely of the engineering team this position would work with and no management were present. I did anticipate some very difficult questions, however most were relatively easy.

After about another week I was contacted to schedule a final interview on site with the hiring manager and his director. The director lead most of the questioning. Some of his questions made it obvious the role would be a bit different than what the recruiter and hiring manager had previously discussed. It wasn't a major shift in duties and intrigued me enough to be open to the challenge.

About a week later I was contacted by someone in HR that would be my new contact going forward. This contact informed me I interviewed quite well, I was someone they were interested and presently were working on putting together an offer which would have to go through a few approvals. In this conversation the number they had for my salary requirements was lower than what I had discussed with the recruiter at the beginning. I was contacted later in the week and confirmed they did in fact have the correct number I gave originally however the number management was targeting was substantially less than the number i gave for me to consider making a move. I did make it clear my number was a firm minimum to get me to move, which the HR contact agreed and was on the same page as to my reasoning.

After a couple more calls with my HR contact I confirmed my number was clear to the hiring management at the beginning of the process. I was informed they came to their lower number based on assumptions of my present employment status and supposed lack of benefits (I'm W2 and have benefits) as well as assuming their benefits and discretionary annual bonus (not guaranteed) would be appealing. With these assumptions they believed I'd take an offer that was much less than I was presently making. I am disappointed they'd waste my time and money through this process knowing what I said it would take to get me to move. At this point I don't anticipate further contact. IMO compensation speaks to how a company values one's time, knowledge, skill, and experience and I doubt E-Trade values its people.

Interview Questions

• Questions on my background, experience, and knowledge were asked. I did anticipate difficult questions to gauge my knowledge, however they were quite easy.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in July 2016.

Interview

The process was about 3-4 weeks long. I had a phone interview as well as a face to face…was called back the following week with a contingent offer and was told that background check and credit check had to be done. This process took about two weeks and my offer was rescinded due to the fact that I didn't have enough assets…unsure why you'd have to be well off to work here. If I was well off I wouldn't need to work here in the first place. It's a shame that this company would discriminate against anyone in such a way!

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult situation?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Etrade?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work in the Financial Services industry?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation but be sure to have enough assets or else they will not have you

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

on the phone interview followed by an in person interview. They like friendly outspoken people who are willing to learn.
    The appreciate effort and flexibility. Feel free to talk about other interesting things in the interview. They prefer good conversations to ones they have had many times before. The overall interview process was about average. They did not ask any case questions which was nice, but defiantly do your research before going

Platinum Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial.

Interview

Very laid back and open.manager asked very easy questions such as your favorite sports team and why. I never even had to meet with another manger. Met in a huge conference room.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your most difficult situation you had to handle. How do you feel your experience will help you in this role. Tell me about your prior positions .   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial.

Interview

First contact with E*trade was during a college career fair, provided my resume to the recruiter who was representing E*trade. About one month later I was contacted by another recruiter, asked my interest in the position, eventually arranged a phone interview. Phone interview was basic, provided information about the company and asked some basic general customer behavioral questions. After the phone call, he submitted my information to hiring manager. Also he had me take a math and vocabulary assessment, you 45 minutes to complete the assessment. Math questions are finance based questions, in my opinion some were challenging but overall basic finance questions. The vocabulary questions are also challenging, it'll ask you questions like .... is to dauntless as timid is to... this part of the assessment was the most difficult for me, although not impossible. So if you're preparing for an interview, practice your vocabulary and finance math. After passing the assessment, I was contacted by the hiring manager. Schedule in person interview, very formal. After quick greeting, hiring manager immediately went in to interview questions, had to provide quick and intelligent responses. Overall good environment, and good experience. Background check will take forever. They do 10 years of work history and criminal history. Seriously, if you have no fraud or felonies they should good.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to take a difficult call and how did you handle it?
      What's more important, the product or customer service.
      How do deal with pressure?
      Why do you want to work for E*trade?   Answer Question

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Arlington, VA).

Interview

this was pretty easy. it was done by three people at the same time taking turns asking questions. they wanted to find out my knowledge of the mortgage/ Real Estate industry. It was not intimidating at all and was more like an intellectual conversation.

Interview Questions

• what do you know about Short sales, foreclosures, Loss mitigations etc.   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Jersey City, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

Terrible process. Took over two months for them to get back to you. They do not make accommodations for college students who have final exams 2 days later after their interview even though they interviewed students 2 weeks later. They are irresponsive to emails or phone calls. It was a terrible experience. I was also interviewed by 3 panelists of VP's who were not very friendly at all.

Lead Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Jersey City, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me and signed up. I was contacted by recruiter and setup with the hiring manager. It was all technical questions but nothing business related. It sounded like the hiring manager was really busy.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a union and union all?   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between a star schema and snowflake schema.   1 Answer