E*TRADE Financial Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

E*TRADE Financial Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

6 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

After much interest from a specific team about skills indicated on my resume, I was set up relatively quickly by my recruiter for an interview with the hiring manager, a contractor developer, and a third undefined person. When I arrived at the building the front desk had not received an indication I would be arriving, so I had to state my reason for being there and who I was supposed to meet with.
Despite requesting some more information before the interview, I had not received a description or title of the position I was interviewing for, so went into the interview totally blind. Studying and refreshing on technologies listed for the open roles on the website was the wrong thing to do, as the technology stack for the position I was there for turned out to be totally different from the posted roles, blindsiding me. As a result, when meeting with the contractor developer I failed to represent myself to the best of my ability, but was not a total disgrace.
Next, when meeting with the hiring manager she didn't ask me very much, quickly resorting to the good old "Where do you see yourself in 1 year, 5 years?". She was on her phone the whole time, frequently pausing the conversation to send someone a message. The interview ended when she had to take a call, apologized briefly, and left the room. The contractor developer came back in soon afterward to say the third person wouldn't be able to make it, and the interview was over. Overall it was the most unprofessional interview experience I have ever had, and successfully made me uninterested in ever working there.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 1/5 years?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for E*TRADE Financial

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in September 2014.

Interview

Submitted by a consulting company! Interview started with background, Experience
    Interview was very good very straight forward questions.
    Questions were from core java, Fundamentals, Spring, Hibernate, Rest web service
    Interview was very good very straight forward questions.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in August 2013.

Interview

Interviewers gauge basic knowledge of C, memory profiling, SQL, Java programming and shell/Perl scripting in the Linux environment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (Menlo Park, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

I had initial phone screening interview and then called for face to face. There were 3 rounds of interview. In the first round, interviewer asked about my experience and high level architecture of the project I worked. Then the 2nd interviewer asked some Perl question. In the 3rd round, they asked about DB design and C++ OOD questions.

The first 2 rounds were easy going and interviewer were friendly. Not much happy with the front desk (receptionist ) persons behaviour. She was busy with her own world (talking in cellphone) rather giving attention to the visitors.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial (New York, NY) in January 2009.

Interview

Fairly straightforward technical interview. Absolutely NO behavior questions.
    Interviewers were friendly but ill-prepared except for one who was well prepared but surly.

3 rounds of 1:1 interviews. Interviewer asked me to explain current project and interrupted to ask about possible enhancements. Typical "if you could change one thing what would it be" type questions.

Interview Questions

• Difference in approach to multi-threading in C++ and Java.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at E*TRADE Financial in November 2010.

Interview

I interviewed for a contractor role there. The interview was really technical, in depth into whatever I had worked on so far. The interviewers were pleasant. The interview process was a bit slow. I cleared all the levels, but they wanted to hire as a fulltime employee. I was looking for contract position and hence the offer was not made.

Interview Questions

• How will you detect a loop in a singly linked list?   2 Answers