EF Education First Tour Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

EF Education First Tour Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 10, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at EF Education First (Boston, MA).

Interview

It was an online video submission, almost like a pre-screening interview. It was four questions, with 1:30min. to answer and then the whole thing was sent to the hiring personal. There was no editing after, no re-dos, but standard interview questions, so easy to prepare.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for EF Education First

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at EF Education First (Denver, CO) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online, got an email a day or two later asking to interview by phone. The questions were basic questions. Nothing that would through you off too much in regards to the role.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at EF Education First (Denver, CO) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was emailed to schedule a phone interview. I was then called in for a group interview of about 6 people. The group was taken all together where they presented the history of the company and job requirements. We then each did a 2 minute presentation on ourselves. We were asked a series of group questions and then went into a speed round of individual questions with several different people.

Tour Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EF Education First in July 2016.

Interview

A few days after applying online, I received an email asking me to complete a video interview within a week. Upon clicking the link, you briefly test your video camera and microphone, and then are asked three questions. The question is shown in text for one minute, and then your camera begins to record, where you have two minutes to answer but the option to stop the recording if your answer is under two minutes. Can be difficult to answer questions this way without getting any feedback i.e. facial expression, nods, verbal back-and-forth, etc. It can feel a bit silly to talk about yourself alone at your computer. I understand they may start with video interviews due to a high volume of applicants, but I personally thought it didn't allow me to showcase my abilities as well as I could have in person, or even on the phone. Very impersonal/ a bit awkward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EF Education First (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

When I arrived for the ~3 hour group interview, we all nervously waited in the atrium lobby of the (gorgeous) new EF building in Cambridge. I'm not sure if this was just a fluke, but I was told to come 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork at the front desk. All five of us did indeed arrive 15 minutes early, but with no paperwork in sight. We sat on the couches in the lobby staring at each other. I'm pretty sure this may have been a tactic from the cunning HR coordinators at EF.

It was lunch time, so there were lots of people entering and exiting the building, and walking over to the on-site restaurant. I would say the average EF employee is in their late 20s. As a recent graduate, I felt like I was in the right place. There is no dress code at EF, and it's important to plan your outfit accordingly. I wore a button down shirt with no tie and a form-fitting blazer. Another guy in the group interview wore a somewhat baggy suit and tie and looked incredibly out of place. During the interview itself, the EF staff mentioned several times how it's important for them to find someone to fit their company culture. I would put money down that that guy did not get a job offer.

When the HR recruiter came down (10 minutes late) to round us up, she took us on an expansive tour of the building. It was designed to reflect the transparency of the organization, as there are no solid walls or closed-off offices in the entire building. It was impressive how quiet the noise level was despite it's openness.

We settled into a conference room on one of the higher up floors, with sweeping views of the Boston skyline. Tip: sit facing away from the view if you're prone do daydreaming like me; you're going to be in this room for the next couple of hours. The HR woman started off by asking us what we knew about EF and it's history. She then showed us an accompanying power point in which she asked us each to read a slide. It felt a bit condescending, but it was an informative presentation. She then asked us some background questions, nothing too difficult. Tip: read up on the EF wikipedia page about it's founder and the different EF brands and the services they offer. It's not going to get you the job but it will certainly distinguish you from the other candidates right off the bat.

The next step in the interview was for five employees to come in to ask us questions. They asked us about ourselves, what sales meant to us, why EF, etc. Still not too difficult. One question that threw everyone off was to "Pitch something you're passionate about in 60 seconds". The HR woman actually set a 60 second timer on her phone so you could not go over your time. Out of the five candidates, I was the only one who had a concise, practiced speech about my passion for hiking. I was the only one not to go over my 60 seconds. I also volunteered to go first, which I think impressed the employees. Tip: Practice your speech at home using a timer, it will make a huge difference vs. someone who is just making it up on the fly.

The next portion was a speed interview round. The five candidates each got to meet with the five employees for five minutes each. Five minutes may seem like a lot of time, but unless you have some really concise and practiced answers, it's going to be hard for them to ask you more than a few questions. It seemed like each employee was assigned to ask a questions surrounding a certain topic. One would ask about why EF, one would ask about your experience with international travel/diversity, one would ask about sales experience, etc. Each person I met with was incredibly honest and really open to hearing me out in such a short amount of time, except for the sales woman. When I sat down with her she stoically asked me, "sell me this pen." I had no idea how to "sell her" a pen that she was already holding. It took me 60 seconds to really come up with a solid answer. She seemed displeased with my inability to have these quick sales skills. I understand the meaning behind the question, but I think a question like "explain to me how you would convince someone to go on a trip to France instead of a trip to Germany" would have been more relevant to display my international travel experience/sales skills, rather than "sell me this pen." Tip: practice your "so tell me about yourself" answer so that you can get it under 30 seconds. It will give you more for them to ask you more substantive questions during the speed round.

Overall it was a pretty good experience. I think the group interview was an interesting concept, but in order to really consider a candidate more carefully, you need more time to get to know them.

Tour Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EF Education First.

Interview

I applied online, received an email about 3 weeks later about an online assessment, 2 days after taking that I received an email to schedule a phone interview. I applied for the position in both Denver and Boston and interviewed for both. The Denver interviewer was far more personable, the Boston one kept referring to everything as products. Denver call was about 30 minutes with no time for questions at the end, Boston interview was about 15 minutes with time for questions. I received an offer to come in for in-person interviews for both, but declined because they offered no travel reimbursement and I couldn't afford to fly out to either location.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at EF Education First (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

The most extensive interview process I've ever experienced. The day after I submitted my resume, I was contacted for a phone screening (about 15-20 minutes). At the conclusion of the phone call, I was asked to come in for a group interview. This was about 3 hours long and took place in the beautiful Cambridge office. There were 7 of us there, and we watched a presentation about EF, talked about our prior knowledge of the company, and then did a speed dating type interview process with eight hiring managers. It was very casual and laid back, but difficult to go into any kind of detail and felt a little repetitive. After the group interview, I was contacted to come back the next week for 1-on-1 interviews with several of the hiring managers. That was a 2 hour process of meeting with 4 different people for half an hour each in a more traditional interview setting. After that, I was asked to come in for a final round of interviews later that week, which was basically the same thing as the earlier 1-on-1 interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EF Education First (Cambridge, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

It was pretty basic. I applied online and then was contacted and went in for an interview the next week. The interview was pretty painless. They did not ask any surprising questions and basically just wanted to see that you did your research on the position and company and really want to work there.

Tour Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at EF Education First.

Interview

Skype interview, interviewer was very personable. The job description itself was worded in a way that made it not sound like a sales position, but in the end the role is essentially sales. Which is very misleading. The interviewer was focused on my experience and how that would help in the role. Didn't ask many interesting questions. It was very typical such as: what leadership roles? How to do this or that well or unwell?

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at EF Education First (Cambridge, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

I submitted my cover letter and resume on an employee referral, applied online, and was offered a Skype interview the following day. I completed the Skype interview and was asked at the end of that week to come to the office in Cambridge for a second interview with four different interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Do I have any previous sales experience?
      What interests me most about the Tour Consultant role?
      What is my experience working on a team?
      How do I deal with stress?
      What does a perfect day look like to me?
      Answer Question