EMC Consultant Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

EMC Consultant Software Engineer Interview Questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Hopkinton, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

This hiring process was horrible. They have no idea what they are doing. I was submitted internally. I talked to the hiring manager with in hrs of the submission. He never contacted his recruiter until the very end. I would meet with 1 person a week for like a month. I then get a call that they will be extending an offer. In the mean time (without my knowning) they continued interviewing internal candidates. After wasting a month going through the process with them and a week waiting for an offer, they gave the job to an internal candidate.

Interview Questions

• Design a thread lock system using 2 threads and a 2 element array. There are no built in thread lock functions (mutex, etc). All you are guaranteed is that when a write to memory happens from both threads 1 value will get written whole. The memory will not be mutilated.   Answer Question
  • Various C++ questions, which was weird because the product uses C   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for EMC

Consultant Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at EMC in October 2012.

Interview

Mostly technical. Asked to explain past projects, Processes. Why are you looking for a change?
    Questions on embedded architecture, buffer management, driver etc.

Questions on embedded architecture, buffer management, driver etc.

Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Hopkinton, MA) in September 2012.

Interview

Hiring process was very smooth. The EMC recruiter contacted me and scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager. After the phone interview an onsite interview was scheduled. After the onsite interview an offer was presented about one week later. The onsite interview consisted of 5-6 individual interviews with other engineers.

Interview Questions

• I was not asked any difficult or unexpected questions. I did have to take a drug test which was a little inconvenient; however it's well worth the trouble.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation was fair. They offered near the top end right away so there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Hopkinton, MA) in March 2012.

Interview

There was not a "pre-defined" interview process or set of questions. I interviewed with several members of the team. They explained that they were looking to do and I pretty much explained my experience and how I would go about doing what they were looking to do.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

This was a contract-to-hire position. The negotiation on the hourly rate was with the intermediary consulting company but I had a discussion on the desired full-time salary if the conversion to full-time happened. Four months later I got a full-time offer and the salary discussed during the initial hiring process was honored.

Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at EMC (Hopkinton, MA) in April 2010.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a member of EMC HR, I had not applied for any job.
    I went through two rounds of interviews, about a week apart. Each time I interviewed with 3-4 people.
    The questions were mostly technical and I was expected to use the whiteboard to explain some concepts and systems I'd worked on in the past.

It took them about a month after interviewing me to give me an offer. After I received that I was required to take a urine drug test. That wasn't an issue for me, but it's the first time in 30 years I've ever had to do this.

Interview Questions

• There were no unexpected questions. The normal challenging ones: what were my weaknesses; what was a challenging situation I encountered and how did I handle it. I had prepared some general responses so I didn't flounder when asked. The interviewers were all reasonable.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried negotiating for more vacation time (I'm a very senior engineer with a lot of experience). But no luck. After joining I heard the the HR rep I dealt with was not very good.