EMC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

EMC is now part of Dell. Dell and the EMC family of companies have united to become Dell Technologies. We drive global progress and transformation by bringing practical innovation to people and organizations everywhere. Let your career transformation begin at jobs.dell.com

EMC Interview Questions

Updated Apr 5, 2017

2.9

IT Interview

Interview

The process was an average IT interview process, with questions on experience. The whole process lasted a few weeks, with a background check and what not. Once the process is completed, the training portion is easy if you know your field.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Research Triangle Park, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Five 30 minutes onsite interviews. No coding required in the interview process. Basically talked about the previous experience, resume and other technical questions. The interviewees are nice and the interview processes are more like a normal day conversation regrading to your experience.

Note that the interview questions may vary from different teams, hard to predict what they will ask in advance.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EMC.

Interview

Quick phone interview, purely behavioral, asked about things on my resume. Nothing really fancy, very quick, very simple, easy. Talked with a very nice recruiter, was basically a nice conversation. No need to stress about anything, simply don't be nervous and you'll do perfectly fine.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at EMC.

Interview

Overall a very positive experience. The first interview was over the phone, then they flew me out to Boston for a day of three individual interviews. Only negative thing is if not offered the position they don't contact you within a week as they say they will and you will most likely have to reach out to them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about Dell EMC as if you had to explain what we do to a friend.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter. She asked me questions about my resume and why I was looking for work. She also asked me some basic network port questions. She set up another phone screen with a senior technical support engineer and the interview was about an hour. There is one more step and I am waiting to find out if I get to the next level which is the in person interview.

Interview Questions

• What is DNS?   1 Answer
    • Tell me how you resolved a complex problem.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

They contacted me shortly after taking my resume to conduct interviews on my college campus. I interviewed with three engineers in a row. The first two were lovely, and the third was the rudest interviewer I've ever met. He would constantly laugh at me, or criticize me for asking clarifying questions about the prompt. He probably used the phrase "It's really not that hard" at least 5-10 times over the course of the hour I spent with him.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at EMC (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

General behavioural questions are asked by the First Interviewer about strengths, weaknesses, why Dell EMC and other questions. Second interviewer takes a case Interview of average difficulty. Interviewers were friendly and also hosted a dinner a day before interview which was helpful in knowing them.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EMC.

Interview

First call was a screening call, just basic knowledge and questions.
    Second call was with a hiring manager, a little bit more in depth and why EMC/sales.
    Office visit consisted of

Overall the process was okay. The phone calls were standard, office was nice and people were awesome. Enjoyed meeting the managers, all very down to earth people. They are definitely very specific in the kind of person they take.

Interview Questions

• Why tech industry
      Where else are you applying
      Tell me about a time that you failed
      Tell me about a time that you achieved a goal and how
      Answer Question

EMC Response

Jan 3, 2017 – Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for sharing your experience - this is really helpful to our hiring teams, recruiters and future candidates. Good luck to you!

Business Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Hopkinton, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied to Dell EMC in October through my college campus for their BOLD program. First round interview happened through on campus recruiting. My interviewer for the first round was fairly nice. After about a week they followed up with me for final round interviews which took place 2 weeks from when I was informed. The final round interviews are an absolute mess and extremely disorganized.

They brought in about 20-30 candidates and placed them all in the same room interviewing simultaneously at the same time and switching off with different interviewers for a total of 5-6 interviews. You can barely hear your own conversation with your interviewer because everyone's talking at once in the same room. Additionally, since it was a "speed dating" format, I felt rushed by some of the interviewers. When it came time to switch interviewers, it was difficult to figure out at first where your next interviewer's table was in a room of 30 people without name tents or anything. To add to the chaos, I wasn't informed until I was on my 4th interviewer that apparently each interviewer was tasked with testing candidates on a different competency. I guess that would have been nice to know upfront. On top of this, as a part of the final round interview process candidates were supposed to set aside some time in between interviews to sit and meet with the BOLD program manager one on one. Given that there was 20-30 candidates, this ended up not being possible since there was only one manager. I feel as though the handful of candidates that were lucky enough to get time to meet with the BOLD manager definitely got an unfair advantage over those that did not. I was informed by EMC that I wasn't selected for an offer through an obvious, generic copy & paste e-mail sent to all the rejected candidates three weeks after the final interview. My friend who had applied to EMC's marketing specialist position didn't hear back for 4 WHOLE MONTHS (interviewed in November and heard back in Feb) that she wasn't selected after going through the final round interview. I might have dodged a bullet on Dell EMC if that's how they screen candidates.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume and tell me what your colleagues would say about you in each of these roles   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Screening with recruiter - recruiter was very standoffish and almost combative. Set up a call with the hiring manager. Manager called 10 minutes late for first interview and rescheduled. Called 10 minutes late again for second call. Fortunately, hiring manager was much more personable. Great discussion with hiring manager. Very upfront about direction and qualification.

Interview Questions

EMC Response

Jan 3, 2017 – Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are concerned to hear the feedback about the Recruiter (and that the hiring leader was late for the call!) and will share this with the team. Through ... More