EMC Software Quality Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

EMC is now part of Dell. Dell and the EMC family of companies have united to become Dell Technologies. We drive global progress and transformation by bringing practical innovation to people and organizations everywhere. Let your career transformation begin at jobs.dell.com

EMC Software Quality Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 17, 2017

Quality Assurance Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EMC (Syracuse, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Interview was highly interactive and the recruiter made me feel comfortable. She expressed her opinion to all the points she agreed to me with which increased my confidence a lot. She started with telling me a lot about herself and her role at EMC and then continued to ask me a few behavioral and few position related questions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at EMC.

Interview

Talked directly to the manager of the team I applied to. Interview was pretty friendly and was a mixture between behavioral and technical questions to test my background on scripting, testing and automation.

Interview Questions

• Several standard behavioral questions and a few technical (easy) questions regarding scripting and testing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at EMC (Hopkinton, MA).

Interview

Brief interview during campus career fair followed by mass onsite interview followed by interview with specific team. After completing 3 rounds of interviews, I got a verbal offer but it took almost 9 months before the written offer was extended. In the interim, the position was put on/off hold several times so it was a bit frustrating. EMC was the first place I interviewed and the last place I heard back from, only after I had other offers to consider.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at EMC.

Interview

The hiring manager found my resume on Monster and called me. This was basically a phone interview. We went over my experience, what type of challenges i'm looking for, salary range and employment interests. At the end of the call he asked me to come in for an office interview that week. When i arrived, he met with me briefly explaining to me the process and that i would be interviewed by a few team members and then him again. I met the team lead, 2 QA engineers and the Director. Each had their own set of questions but I found them to be pretty basic. As in, search 'typical interview questions' on google and that was pretty much what they asked. At the time I had 10 years of exp in this field, so I felt very comfortable with whatever questions they asked me. I was honest with what I knew and what i didn't know. I met with the hiring manager again and we talked for a bit longer. He told me that they would be in touch with me in the next couple of days. I then got a call from the HR department and she gave me another little interview. Gave me an offer and i verbally agreed. Waited over the weekend and that Mon received a Fax with the official paper work that i signed and faxed back. Put in my 2 weeks notice and that was it.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember any real difficult questions. The ones i find annoying are the abstract "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" type of questions. They just want to see if you're going to stick around. or that you have any other ambitions to improve yourself. One of the questions I like to ask the hiring manager is whether that company likes to see people move around within the company or do people tend to stay in the same spot for 10 years. That gives me some insight into what the company mentality is and helps me answer the annoying questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Easy. I estimated 15k higher than what i was getting (65k) and they matched it + 1K more.

Senior Software Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Louisville, CO).

Interview

Applied online and recruiter setup phone interview with hiring manager the same day. After a brief technical screening over the phone with the hiring manager I was brought on-site for interviews with a few senior and principal level test engineers, as well as management. This included a brief chat on the phone with senior management from Irvine. The whole process lasted two to three hours at most. I sensed a good culture and working environment, and was genuinely interested in the technologies being developed at this field office - ranging from from low level storage technologies, which are very abundant in this particular market, to more unique enterprise visualization technologies.

Interview Questions

• What are the challenges with backing up data in virtual environments?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about data de-duplication for backups, how does it work?   Answer Question
    • How well do you know Linux/Bash/C/Java? Sketching out and reviewing code snippets. Coming up with solutions to various tasks like monitoring memory usage.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Received a good offer from the recruiter with forms for references, background check and drug screening within a couple days of the on-site interviews. They moved very quickly in comparison with other companies I was interviewing with or had interviewed with recently, which was very refreshing.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2014.

Interview

Process took about 4 weeks, 1 telephone screen with hiring manager, one coding question with an engineer, one video conference interview with the entire team, in person interview with the whole team, then job offer.

Principal Software Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at EMC (San Jose, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

First was asked to take an online test. Open-book, but there are a lot of questions. If you googled every single question, you will not finish in time. The on-site interview is standard. With 5 people, each took 45 mins. Mainly talked about my previous job experience and work that I had done. It was wrapped up by talking to the manager.

Interview Questions

• 1. How spanning tree works?
      2. How to configure LACP?
      3. Explain the topology of your test bed.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EMC (Cambridge, MA) in March 2012.

Interview

My recruiter set up the interview and gave me the first names of the five people I would be speaking to. I did not have an avenue of communication with them prior to the interview day. I arrived and was met at the security desk by the person who was to be my second interviewer. The order of interviews had been changed. I alternated between speaking to each of the five people (two potential colleagues, one project lead, one team lead, one manager) and seeing different parts of the facility (office, break area, data center). Each of the interviewers asked me different questions about how my qualifications applied to their area of expertise. The first four people were very fun to talk to and seemed rather excited about the projects I would be coming in to work on. The final person, the department manager, was rather somber.

Interview Questions

• You are aware this is a Quality Engineer position, yes?   1 Answer

Application

I interviewed at EMC in August 2010.

Interview

Applied through an internal contact and got a call within a couple of days. I went in for a 3 hour interview with 6 team members.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions were basic C programming questions.   Answer Question

Senior Software Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2009.

Interview

3 or 4 interviews after the phone screen.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Easy to get to the bottom line in a down economy.