EMC Software Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

EMC is now part of Dell. Dell and the EMC family of companies have united to become Dell Technologies. We drive global progress and transformation by bringing practical innovation to people and organizations everywhere. Let your career transformation begin at jobs.dell.com

EMC Software Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Feb 11, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Research Triangle Park, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Five 30 minutes onsite interviews. No coding required in the interview process. Basically talked about the previous experience, resume and other technical questions. The interviewees are nice and the interview processes are more like a normal day conversation regrading to your experience.

Note that the interview questions may vary from different teams, hard to predict what they will ask in advance.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for EMC

Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at EMC (Hopkinton, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

Telephonic round with HR about interest in the project and related experience.
    On-Site interview about 3 hours.
     - 1st round - Interview with couple of engineers in the team targeting related experience and knowledge in the storage industry, along with some white board problems and programming questions mainly focused in c++ programming
    - 2nd round - Interview with Manager and Senior Manager, questions in c++ programming and knowledge in python and bash scripting.
    All the interview questions and tests are specific to skills required for role.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to c++ focusing on pointers, virtual functions and memory management errors etc.,   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at EMC (Research Triangle Park, NC) in June 2014.

Interview

3 technical phone interviews followed by single 1-on-1 interview. The questions were mostly java oriented and focussed on my previous internship work and tested my technical communication skills. The process tested my knowledge of java and I had some upper edge because I had done an internship at EMC previously. This helped me demonstrate the work I did and thus helped me a lot.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really difficult if can talk fluently about everything on your resume. It is very important because I was specially asked on projects I had put on my resume and given scenarios and told to explain how I would implement those in my projects.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Standard package for new grads.

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EMC (Bedford, MA).

Interview

1 round of technical phone interview and 3 hours of face to face interview with 3 people.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very reasonable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at EMC (Pleasanton, CA).

Interview

I had applied online and I received an email from the HR to schedule a phone interview. There were 2 phone interviews -

The first phone interview -
    Not a coding round
    There were a lot of questions on Java (Inner classes, collections (list and set differences) etc. ), OOPS, multithreading (semaphore, mutex, deadlock, race condition), BST search and insert complexity (how does the worst case complexity occur in all the cases)

Second Phone Interview - Coding round
    Binary Search
    Singleton Pattern (In all ways)
    Reverse a Linked List

On-site (3 rounds and a manager round)
    Round 1 - general technical discussion and resume drilling
    Round 2 - Producer Consumer problem, multithreading concepts
    Round 3 - Java concepts, maximum contiguous sum in an array (and extension to that)
    Round 4 - discussion with the manager regarding the role, etc.

Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Hopkinton, MA) in February 2012.

Interview

It first consisted of pure technical screening round. Then, second phone interview round was a panel phone screen, which was also technical. Then, they called me for an on-site interview. I might have met 7-8 people. Interview was mostly group of 2 interview. It was a mixed bag, some were non-technical, some where pure technical . Asked me to write some codes and candidates were expected to have thorough knowledge of c++ concepts.

Within 2-3 days of my onsite interview, I was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• Concepts of Computer Architecture. Was asked about the activity graph of the disk driver.   Answer Question
    • Major concepts of c++ inside and out.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The salary was more than what I had expected, so i really did not negotiate. I took up the offer! They have a great benefits package.

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Pleasanton, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Hiring process was quite transparent.. The interviewer were good at testing the skills and problem solving capabilities of candidates.. The positions were properly described to the candidates and asked about choices of working.. Candidates background was well analyzed and matched with profile before interview.. The problems asked during interview were innovative and designed to test the skills of candidate.. I liked the interview process.. HR approached the selected candidates with mails and phone calls..

Interview Questions

• In your past work experience, did you ever come across major development problems and if yes, how did you resolve that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EMC (Raleigh, NC) in December 2010.

Interview

Interviews were very easy and hiring happened even before you knew you were done with the interviews.

Interview Questions

• What projects have you done at your academic institution?   Answer Question
    • How can you check if a given number is a power of 2 using minimum amount of code?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes. EMC does accept some negotiation. So, try your luck!

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at EMC (Santa Clara, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

resume submission, telephonic interview and then the onsite interview and finally offer

Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EMC (Hopkinton, MA) in June 2010.

Interview

Not too much. They tried to find out if you have the common knowledge with them.
    If you do, then they will thumb up. Otherwise, you are out.

Interview Questions

• What is the singleton pattern?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate. Their salary is quite open.
    Either you join or not. They really don't care.