EPAM Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

EPAM Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Szeged, Csongrád (Hungary)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at EPAM (Szeged, Csongrád (Hungary)) in April 2016.

Interview

I was approached by their in-house recruiter via LinkedIn. I was sent an hour-long online test, that consisted of short algorithmic tasks. The level of the tasks varied: some were laughably easy to solve, others were way too hard for a simple online screening. Overall, it was a mixed experience.

After about a week, I was contacted by another recruiter via phone, who asked me to come in the office for a quick chat. He introduced me to the company and what they could offer. We also had a rather lengthy discussion about my goals, career-wise, and how the company could help me to achieve these. At the end of the interview, I was given a simple coding task, once again, which I had solve on paper, in about 15 minutes. I was told the solution would be given to a tech guy, who would evaluate it later.

After a couple days, I was invited back to the office for an official technical interview. The interviewer mostly asked me about my past experience and the skills that I listed on my CV. Besides this, I was given two really simple exercises (think something like fizzbuzz), which I could solve in a couple of minutes. After the interview was over, we chatted about software development in general for quite a while. The interviewer was very professional but also laid back, and there was no pressure at all.

After another week, I was called into the office once more, to formally close off our negotiations. This final round mostly consisted of negotiating about the financial aspects of the job, and also if I'm a good culture fit.

Interview Questions

• Q: When using git, what is the difference between rebasing and merging, and in which situation would you use rebase over merging (and vice versa)?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for EPAM

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Budapest (Hungary)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EPAM (Budapest (Hungary)) in December 2015.

Interview

Talent acquisition specialist called over to phone, arranged 1st meeting with herself and another talent acquisition specialist. 2nd meeting was with team lead (in person) and also a technical interview with teammates and relevant competency center representative (over the net). 3rd round with resource managers (responsible for offering the compensation package)

Interview Questions

• Lot of technical questions in detail.   Answer Question
    • Some questions on handling of customers. (This is an outsourcing company.)   Answer Question
    • One interesting question in particular: - You are on-site at the customer and they request an immediate change in the software. What would you do?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

1) You communicate with HR, asking you some general questions in English (technical and general ones);
    2) You are invited to the Epam office, were manages and Engineers are asking you a series of technical questions;
    3) You may wait for a final decision for a day and then HR will send you a official job offer;

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Debrecen (Hungary)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at EPAM (Debrecen (Hungary)) in May 2015.

Interview

First there was a test on paper about the basic programming tools in java. For example exceptions, abstract class, ... etc.

After a few weeks the second round was coding and it took 1-2 hours. The exercise was to write a simple application using exception handling, abstract class, interfaces, file handling ... etc. After that there was a code review with a verbal interview about the programming skills you know, such as patterns and collections.

At the end I did not get an offer. I created a working application during the second round, but after a few weeks they reject me. They were pretty rude. I asked what were my mistakes, and they answered that I have to re-learn the basic programming tools like classes...

It was a Junior Developer position but I think they don't want an entrant programmer. They want somebody who code in patterns in a job interview which took 1 or 2 hours.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Budapest (Hungary)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at EPAM (Budapest (Hungary)).

Interview

I applied for the Academy program, where software engineers from other fields (like C++) are reeducated to Java (J2EE).
    The hiring process consists of three levels. The first one is an HR interview, where I could introduced myself. We were talking about my experiences, expectations and the details of the training.
    In the next session I had to solve programming tasks in front of a computer. Everything was in Java, but you only need general programming and algorithmic skills to pass the test. I've been told they measure our analytical skills and the ability of working with code written by somebody else.
    The third round was a face-to-face talking with a senior, who told me more details about the jobs at EPAM and also asked some technical questions related to software development (like SOLID principles, OOP, etc). At the end I was asked some personal questions to be seen if I'm suitable for the job and also we agreed in my compensation.

Interview Questions

• There were no specific question. I had to solve programming tasks. In an internally developed web application I got short tasks (like sort an array) with a certain amount of time to solve it. The application also gave the solution as unordered source code lines (in Java) that I had to put in the correct order.

It is kinda strange, although I can see the point of it. The most negative experience is that there was no feedback whether my solution was good (only at the very end) and I could not swap between the tasks.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gdańsk (Poland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EPAM (Gdańsk (Poland)) in March 2014.

Interview

I attended an interview at EPAM just before opening their new office in Gdańsk. It was a rather friendly atmosphere, I was asked about my previous jobs: duties an experience, projects I participated in etc. Then there were some Software Engineer questions, mostly basics like inheritance, polymorphism and a small test - written on a piece of paper. This test included standard C# inheritance classes definitions (abstract, interface, etc.).

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was solving the test which was handwritten. Adding a little stress and I couldn't read/concentrate on what was written - it was really unreadable.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kiev (Ukraine)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at EPAM (Kiev (Ukraine)).

Interview

Usually things are pretty much standard for Kiev big IT companies: HR interview, interview with company tech guys, interview with manager/tech guy from customer site.
    HR interview itself does not contain usual annoying questions "your strengths/weaknesses " or "where you can see yourself in 5 years".
    Technical interview questions could vary depending on project. Most questions, however, are supposed to check technology knowledge(.NET/Java/SQL) and coding skills(tasks usually are quite simple). But some tasks could be difficult though.

Interview Questions

• Describe how do you write function returning big amount(from million to billion) of unique random numbers. You're allowed to use library function getRandom() returning double d: 0 <= d <= 1.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at EPAM.

Interview

First, I had a 1 hour technical interview. Three people were in the room, a resource manager and two guys from the same role I was applying to. We started to talk over my past experiences and works, then they asked me a few questions about the technologies I was to use at the company. They were polite and friendly, the whole meeting had a very good atmosphere.

Then they left me alone for a 40 min technical task where I had to answer questions (A/B) and make some smaller coding as well on paper. They evaluated it immediately and we discussed some minor areas where I felt the question wasn't clear enough or they thought another answer was right.

After this interview I had another with the HR where we discussed the main company policies, the salary and other benefits. They rang me after two days, and I started on the next week.

Interview Questions

• I didn't feel any of the questions unexpected or really difficult. They absolutely fit in the role.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I got a clear and reasonable offer before I made mine, maybe it was just luck, but I accepted it because it was just right and similar to mine.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lviv (Ukraine)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at EPAM (Lviv (Ukraine)) in September 2012.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn, and asked if I'd like to change job, and offered me to visit their office to discuss such opportunity.
    Once I was at the office, in a large open space, I talked to recruiter, and after that, surprisingly to me, he tells me, that technical interview will start in couple minutes.

Interview with 3 person asking me - 2 developers and PM? took about an hour. After which recruiter again talked with me about possibility and my expectations from this change.

Next day I got an email with another invitation to their office to discus the offer.

Interview Questions

• There was common questions about language, SQL, architecture, troubleshooting techniques etc.   Answer Question

Company haven't showed contract. And HR told me, that all contracts are the same and "you'll see it on the first working day".

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kiev (Ukraine)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at EPAM (Kiev (Ukraine)) in August 2012.

Interview

Received call from recruiter. Proposed job for Barclays ODC. After sending resume to recruiter I had passed phone interview with recruiter. Then second phone interview with team lead. Third interview with team lead and senior developer in office. Fourth interview with customers(team lead and senior developer from Barclays side) in office.

Interview Questions

• Most enjoyed features of recent .NET version   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate before first phone interview with recruiter. If you want to negotiate push it to the limit from the very beginning, that would save your time on interviews if your request is too high