ESPN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ESPN Interview Questions

Updated Feb 12, 2017

Production Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ESPN in January 2015.

Interview

My interview experience for the CAP Program included 2 over the phone interviews, a written assignment, and an in-person "car wash".

The 1st interview was your standard interview with HR, discussing my resume and going into detail about my experience. The 2nd over-the-phone interview included a sports knowledge quiz -- they will ask you anything and everything about sports, NFL, NBA, NHL, College FB & BB, WWE, UFC, boxing, motor sports, cricket, rugby, soccer, etc.

They then had me critique SportsCenter (SC) in a written assignment -- essentially stating what you like, don't like, would change, and any ideas to make it better.

Next is what they call the "car wash" -- they fly you to HQ in Bristol and you meet with several different people in different departments. There is 1) a highlight section (you watch part of a game and create a SC highlight for that game, write a shot sheet (script that the anchors read to describe the highlight) and log the game. You'll work with an editor to make your vision for the highlight come to life 2) a production section where you are asked to pretend you are the Producer of SC and pick 3 stories you would lead the show with. 3) a social production interview with a member of the social media team 4) an interview with a former member/manager of the CAP to talk about your experiences (much like the phone interview) and 5) a meeting with HR.

Interview Questions

• Pitch a segment for SportsCenter. What talent/analyst would you invite on the program? What graphics/full screens/ visual aids would you create?   Answer Question
    • What handles do you follow on Twitter besides SportsCenter? Why do you follow them? What makes them good at what they do   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in February 2011.

Interview

I was asked multiple, specific questions about sports. The asked me about Heisman Trophy winners, and questions about various details about sports. It lasted about 2 hours and it was like being on Sports Jeopardy. It was very difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell me everything you know about the Calgary Flames. Who won the Heisman Trophy in 1987   1 Answer

News and Information Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in March 2014.

Interview

Hiring company contacted me and interviewed me on the phone, about a week later they told ESPN want to interview me in person. The interview was hard (three languages involved). After that I had to call the hiring company to ask if they wanted to hire me and he said yes, otherwise they would only tell me a couple of days before I had to start. I worked with Supperior Group and they are terrible, I don't recommend them.

Interview Questions

• My favorite sport (in spanish)
      What past experiences I could bring to the team (in english)
      What I prefered, work as a team or individual (in portuguese)
      Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Burbank, CA).

Interview

I applied online on TWDC website and got an email about 3 weeks later from HR in the Bristol office asking to set up 2 phone interviews. I would be speaking with 2 directors - 1 is in NY and the other 1 was in LA. HR was very accommodating to my schedule and the directors I spoke two were okay. I expected them to ask about my current job experience and skillset or even ask me sports trivia questions (as some people were asked that from seeing previous interviews on here).

But no. I was not. I was grilled some pretty tough questions about the cable industry and the Pay TV industry. I felt like I answered the first 2 really well, but the last question was a curveball that I couldn't answer adequately.

1) ESPN has had some challenges with declining Pay TV subscribers. What is the reason behind this and what would you suggest as a solution?

2) Would you recommend that ESPN maintain its current business model or should it shift toward an 'a la carte' model and offer a standalone service? What is the challenge behind the latter and what would you offer as a remedy?

Obviously the questions were relevant because the position I applied for pertained to Business Strategy in the cable landscape, but still, it was hard.

I only got as far as the phone interview. No in person interview and no offer. I got a rejection email about 2 weeks later. All in all, the entire process took about 5 weeks.

Interview Questions

• 3) The Dodgers and Time Warner have had some difficulties in the LA market. What is this problem and how does it affect the landscape of the Pay TV industry?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN in March 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by the recruiter for this position, for I had initially applied to a different job. I had a pre-screening interview with the recruiter to gauge my skills, then was set up to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. He asked me typical open ended questions in computer science. Then a few weeks later I was scheduled another phone interview the same hiring manager and two of his team members. They had sent me an algorithm to code and I would submit on GitHub for critique. A week later I made it to the final round interviewing and was flown out to Bristol, CT. There I had six hours straight interviewing with directors, managers and faculty in the department. Questions ranged from easy to difficult and sporadic throughout the day. It personally wasn't for me. Plan for a quick turn around and really know your stuff.

Interview Questions

• From a male engineer to a female engineer, would you feel comfortable dealing with issues of superiority, because it has happened in the past, and I can't guarantee it won't happen again.   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ESPN.

Interview

Recruiter interview, 2:1 phone interview, face-to-face group interview.
    Everyone was incredibly friendly. New cafe with lots of options, including Starbucks.

Interview Questions

• General questions about your background and experience--make sure you can back it up.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ESPN.

Interview

Be sure to know sports trivia on NFL, NCAAB, NCAAF, MLB, NBA, NASCAR, Tennis, and Golf.

Interview Questions

• Ginobili is one of the best 6th men of all-time, how would you compare him to the other best 6th men of all-time and who would you compare him to?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ESPN in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online, the next day got an email to complete a Sports Knowledge test. Contact a week later for an HR phone screening. Two weeks later I was contacted to set up a phone interview with someone from the department I would be working in. Heard back three weeks after the phone interview that I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• What team outside of the SEC do you think will be a powerhouse this year for football?   Answer Question

Statistics Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in January 2013.

Interview

Talked with the recruiter on and off until a position popped. Had two calls and then came for the in-person which span two-days. The culture was cool and the folks were inviting as you might imagine. The knowledge and technical skills needed require significant prep/experience. Like working for sports teams, the pay is quite low because the talent pool is so large.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ESPN (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

There were Two people on the phone and they asked a series of various sports questions and production experience. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and I didn't receive the job, but I do think the interview would have been better in person.