ESPN Production Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ESPN Production Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in December 2016.

Interview

First, I received an email for a phone interview one week after I sent the application. After the phone interview, they scheduled an in-person interview at ESPN headquarters in Bristol, CT. Once I got there, they took me in a shuttle to the building where I was going to be interviewed.
I was interviewed by two people. They asked about my experience, my skills with softwares, my sports preferences. Also, they asked if I have watched any of their channels and what I like about the company. Both of them were very polite and friendly and made it look like a regular conversation. After the interview, they took me to a little tour in the creative department where I sat with one of the workers and she showed me the softwares and projects she was working on.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever watched any of our channels? Which one?   1 Answer
  • Do you like sports? What is your favorite sport?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for ESPN

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ESPN (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

There were Two people on the phone and they asked a series of various sports questions and production experience. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and I didn't receive the job, but I do think the interview would have been better in person.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied for a PA job in January by filling everything out online. I didn't hear from them until March when I got a call from a recruiter. She told me all about the job and asked me basic questions about my resume and roles in sports media. She then scheduled a a phone interview for me that was a few days after with a PA manager. This interview was more in depth, asking me about my experiences, but also random sports questions. I didn't hear back from them for weeks. Finally I got a miss call and voice mail from the recruiter saying they wanted to fly me out to Bristol for an in-person interview in two weeks. I called back right away, but it went to VM. I tried this again several times the next few days and weeks, emails too. Finally I give up and was about to take a reporter position at a station in Oregon. Mind you, this is now about a month after that VM...I got a call saying they're flying me out in three days. So I dropped everything and went. At the HQ, I interviewed with about six different people from ESPN, from different departments. I also had to do social media, video editing and writing exercises too while there. A long day, but everyone was super nice. The hardest part for me was admitting to them I want to be a reporter and work my way up at ESPN and them telling me that'll pretty much happen if I take this PA job... that I need to start on-air at a local TV station. In the end, I think I didn't get the job because of this.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ESPN (Gainesville, FL) in March 2016.

Interview

They asked a bunch of questions on the phone to get an idea of my background and personality. The interview process took a while. I had to keep checking the website on the status of my application. It's difficult to sit back and wait but there is no other way to get a hold of anyone because of the influx of applicants. I got a second call back but it felt more like they were looking for a way to rule me out of the equation rather than what they liked about me.

Interview Questions

• They asked some questions about a favorite sports team to see what I know.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in August 2015.

Interview

Received a call from HR. It went better than the actually interview in my opinion. Got an interview call the next day and spoke with three different people on the phone. Wish it was an in person interview probably would've gotten the job. Took about 3 almost 4 wks for me to hear back, even though they ended with we'll be in touch next week. So don't believe that, it takes some time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taunton, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Taunton, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

Started with a phone interview, very by the book, questions were easy, straightforward, I was very in experienced in being a PA so I was not offered the job but I had a great time interviewing with the Hiring Manager.

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT).

Interview

Phone interview that included a sports quiz
    In person interview: They fly you out to their HQ in Bristol, CT. 4 different people interview you. Includes a question/answer portion, sports knowledge/ writing portion, rundown producing and a situation portion.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation and how you got through it.   Answer Question

Production Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ESPN in January 2015.

Interview

My interview experience for the CAP Program included 2 over the phone interviews, a written assignment, and an in-person "car wash".

The 1st interview was your standard interview with HR, discussing my resume and going into detail about my experience. The 2nd over-the-phone interview included a sports knowledge quiz -- they will ask you anything and everything about sports, NFL, NBA, NHL, College FB & BB, WWE, UFC, boxing, motor sports, cricket, rugby, soccer, etc.

They then had me critique SportsCenter (SC) in a written assignment -- essentially stating what you like, don't like, would change, and any ideas to make it better.

Next is what they call the "car wash" -- they fly you to HQ in Bristol and you meet with several different people in different departments. There is 1) a highlight section (you watch part of a game and create a SC highlight for that game, write a shot sheet (script that the anchors read to describe the highlight) and log the game. You'll work with an editor to make your vision for the highlight come to life 2) a production section where you are asked to pretend you are the Producer of SC and pick 3 stories you would lead the show with. 3) a social production interview with a member of the social media team 4) an interview with a former member/manager of the CAP to talk about your experiences (much like the phone interview) and 5) a meeting with HR.

Interview Questions

• Pitch a segment for SportsCenter. What talent/analyst would you invite on the program? What graphics/full screens/ visual aids would you create?   Answer Question
    • What handles do you follow on Twitter besides SportsCenter? Why do you follow them? What makes them good at what they do   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I interviewed at ESPN (Orlando, FL) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty easy going. The initial communications was much to be expected of an interview which were what are you looking for in this job and basically what can I bring to the table. They asked me about my areas of expertise and questioned me about what I really knew.

Interview Questions

• The most technical question was actually a little test they had prepared for me to fill out which was about various team sports ranging from hockey to soccer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in December 2013.

Interview

The interview process was multi layer. Apply, talent acquisition phone call, sports test, phone interview, flown up to Bristol to interview. During that process, you tour the campus, but then also are interviewed with a group. It is a multi day process.

Interview Questions

• There was a sports quiz of 26 random questions   1 Answer