ETH Zurich PhD Student Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ETH Zurich PhD Student Interview Questions

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ETH Zurich (Zürich (Switzerland)).

Interview

Two rounds of Skype interview. Questions on courses and previous internships. Then visit to the lab, which included 3 rounds of interview and interaction with other members. Also included a presentation on Masters Thesis. Also explained an overview on the project topic. Questions mainly focused on core courses. Why is there a fifty word limit.?????? It is just tooo much.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Other Interview Reviews for ETH Zurich

Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ETH Zurich (Zürich (Switzerland)) in June 2014.

Interview

Very much focused on my past research projects, the techniques i learned, and trying to figure out in what depth i had understood all of the projects that i had worked on. Then mostly focused on why i wanted to go into that specific area, and how my past experience have equipped me to embark on a PhD.

Interview Questions

• Why ETH?
      Why this [insert specific field]?
      Tell me why you want to do a PhD.
      Many technical questions about past research projects.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ETH Zurich (Zürich (Switzerland)) in July 2013.

Interview

Email to the professor -> Interview with presentation of previous research with research group -> Individual interview on possible research field with professor -> Offer of a position

The only issue experienced was that the reply to the inital email took quite a long time as the professor is quite often very occupied.

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ETH Zurich (Zürich (Switzerland)) in April 2013.

Interview

THe interview process was quite simple but one has to prepare in advance for some trickz questions. They asked about my skills gained during my masters and bachelors studies and how u can correlate the present research work.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ETH Zurich.

Interview

direct employement after graduating from Eth masters

Negotiation

none

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ETH Zurich in January 2013.

Interview

Apply by email. I was selected mainly because of my good references

Interview Questions

• Technical questions, which approach would I follow to tackle a given problem   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase, simply you accept their conditions or not

PhD Student Interview

Interview

I first contacted directly the professor, as I got to know him during a lecture at another university. After some email exchange where I also sent my grade transcript, we agreed to meet for an interview. I had to prepare a short presentation about what I have been working on in those years.
    As the interview went well, he confirmed after a week or so that he would hire me. From that point, everything went really fast and I signed my contract a few days afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you may be a good candidate as a PhD student?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ETH Zurich (Zürich (Switzerland)) in November 2011.

Interview

Direct interview at the place, no phone interview beforehand. Meeting with the PhD advisor and 2 colleagues. No HR. Powerpoint presentation from Master studies in front of panel, followed by questions and discussions. Then discussion about the project related to the PhD position.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ETH Zurich in March 2009.

Interview

online application sent to the professor along with research interests and CV.
    skype interview: background, some technical questions
    on-site interview: presentation of previous work, interviews with all team members (half technical, half generic)

Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at ETH Zurich (Zürich (Switzerland)) in January 2013.

Interview

Ein nettes Gespräch über das bisherige Studium und über mögliche neue Projekte. Sehr freundliche und lockere Atmosphäre. Es kamen keine unangenehmen Fragen oder Provokationen vor. Stattdessen wurden die Forschungsgruppe vorgestellt und mögliche Themen für die Doktorarbeit vorgeschlagen und erläutert. Anschließend erhielt ich einige Forschungsartikel zum Durchlesen, die einerseits dazu dienten, sich detailierter mit den Forschungsthemen auseinanderzusetzen, andererseits dienten sie als Entscheidungshilfe für mögliche Projektthemen.

Interview Questions

• Für welches Projekt würden Sie sich am meisten interessieren?   Answer Question