EY Audit Senior Interview Questions | Glassdoor

EY Audit Senior Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2017

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at EY (New York, NY).

Interview

3 stage interview, stage one was an online video questionnaire. Stage 2 was a telephonic HR screening and stage 3 was a telephonic interview with a director and audit manager.

Interview Questions

• Mix of behavioural, situational based questions as well as techincal accounting and auditing questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for EY

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EY (San Jose, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview was casual and there was one with the HR and one with the partner and manager. The one with the HR was over the phone and it was direct questioning of expectations and reason for application to the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at EY (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was excellent. There were questions directed to the behavior and some questions related to technical topics. You must be prepared in order to ace the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell something about yourself   1 Answer

Audit Senior Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at EY in November 2014.

Interview

The recruiting process from submitting my candidacy online until receiving the job offer took 3 months. One month after I applied online, I received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview took around 25 minutes and it was mostly about behavioral questions. It seemed to me that the recruiter was measuring my communication skills and willingness to work. He asked me some general questions about my previous clients, industries, reporting frameworks and tools I had used. Two months after that, I was contacted to schedule a 1:1 interview at the office.

The interview took somewhere around 2 hours. I was interviewed by 4 different people. The questions were mostly behavioral to see how I would react to several circumstances. We discuss a couple of technical questions and personal views of how it is working at a consulting firm. The people who interviewed me were very engaged, friendly and made me feel welcome.

A couple of days after the interview I received the job offer.

An advice: make sure that your resume is detailed enough to show them what you have worked with: specific experiences, tasks, responsibilities and how your audits have been so far.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about some differences between IFRS and US GAAP.
      Tell me about the audit process of one of your previous biggest clients.
      What do you enjoy the most about your job? / The least
      Describe yourself in 4 words
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much space for negotiation, they offered me the market rate. I needed the job, so I was not very insistent either.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at EY (Boston, MA) in October 2013.

Interview

A number of phone interviews related to my previous audit experience and understanding of US GAAP aswell as audit procedures. Some questions on sox 404 controls. Had to provide examples of competency based situations such as working in teams, working with a difficult client, times I worked under pressure. Was also asked some questions about what I like to do outside of work.

Interview Questions

• Explain differences between US and other GAAP.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at EY (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

I had been on their automated email for job postings for close to 6 months and applied to several open positions. Finally after many failed attempts received a phone call and email from a recruiter asking me some questions. Nothing hard, just basic stuff like "what are you currently doing..", and "are you available to work at EY..".

That was followed by an email from their scheduler requesting several times and dates to have a phone interview with their recruiter. EY was very good at meeting my time requirements, and the phone interview went without a hitch. I received some basic questions like "tell me about yourself..", "..do you oppose travel..", and some other basic questions about my current job responsibilities.

This was followed by another phone interview with another recruiter probably verifying whatever the first recruiter thought, or there were issues and needed a second opinion. This again followed the same scheduling as the first phone interview. This interview lasted about 45 minutes, and it seemed that all we really did was chat about me and what i'm looking to get out of EY.

I waited a week or two and was contacted again for a face to face interview. The head recruiter asked me to supply several times and dates to meet. EY did a great job meeting my time requirements once again.

I met with 4 Senior Managers and each interview lasted roughly 45 minutes - 60 minutes. I killed the interview and was very pleased with the conversations. However i was very nervous for the long afternoon of interviewing. All the questions had been based on how I would handle a situation. I have a lot of work experience so I was able to tie similar scenarios to the questions. My advise is to prep for behavioral interviews. I didn't think I was well prepared and BS'd a lot. Be confident.

I waited another two weeks and was asked to come back for yet another face to face, but this time was with a Partner. I had no idea what to expect and couldn't find any relevant interview prep to meeting with a Partner in NYC office. I felt i went in cold and unprepared. All I did was make sure I had some questions prepared and I was able to answer the question "tell me about yourself"..though that never came up.

The Partner Interview went really well. I was made to feel very welcome and the conversation was more of two buddies catching up on current events. My advise here is to also tie old responsibilities to the conversation. For example, I'm an auditor and we had been discussing what I thought about a particular article that we both read. I shared a brief 2 minute story of something i had done a few years before. That type of scenario leads to more engaging conversation and allows the applicant to steer the questions and topics. Just don't talk to long.

That went really well and two weeks later I was called by the recruiter and we discussed salary etc. I wasn't wowed by the offer so I pushed back a little. About another week went by and I received a verbal offer followed by a written offer 2-5 days later which I had accepted.

Total effort was brutal and very time consuming.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your dream job   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not too difficult. I know the market rate for senior auditors and EY was a little short. I pushed back with data and job history and EY went back to the drawing board. They came back a week later with a better offer. Still not great, but they made a great effort for showing that they want me.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at EY (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2013.

Interview

Interview process began after initial contact with a brief phone call with the recruiter. Some initial questions were asked to clarify my experience and knowledge. A few weeks later I had a phone interview with a partner from the recruiting office. A few weeks after that I went in for an office visit. Questions ranged from general inquiries into my past experience to reasons for wanting to leave my current firm. The feel of the office was very good, everyone was 'real' and approachable. I identified with them more than other big4 offices I had visited.

Interview Questions

• Would you prefer to come on with a lot of responsibility and a very steep learning curve or less responsibility with more time to learn the ropes?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Recruiter made oral offer via phone, very low pressure. I was offered time to consider, although I opted to accept immediately.

Audit Senior Interview

Interview

Emailed back and forth with an experienced hire recruiter, had several informal phone interviews with a Partner and a Senior Manager, and then was invited for an office visit. I had three 30 minute interviews with 2 partners and one senior manager. All three interviews were purely discussions of past audit experiences (nothing technical) combined with my goals and where I wanted to go in the audit. I came prepared with plenty of relevant questions. Overall the interviews were more career discussions and where I would fit in within the firm (i.e. clients, industry, tasks on clients, etc.).

Interview Questions

• Nothing was too difficult, but be prepared to discuss short-term and long-term goals as they want to ensure you are a fit for their hiring group.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not too much negotiation, but they were open to negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at EY (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2012.

Interview

Most are behavioral questions like how did you handle a difficult situation in the past audit, work flexibility and your past audit experience and industry. Interviewers are very friendly. Interviewers are seniors, managers and partners. There are also plenty of time the partners are explaining the role and introducing the company and the audit software.

Interview Questions

• tell me a difficult situation and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at EY (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Technical, prior audit experience, average 30 minutes of the round, overall technical round, generally manager or senior manager takes the round, questions on inter personal skills, client interaction, Accounting and auditing standars questions