EY Senior Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 15, 2017

2.8

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at EY (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I was referred by an EY employee. Very poor experience overall. The recruiter scheduled a phone screen but did not call at the scheduled time. I had to follow-up and then received an abrupt call from the recruiter. No apologies or explanation. Was asked a few general profile related questions. The recruiter wasn't sure about where to forward my profile and instead asked me dig through the career portal and identify job codes. I replied back with the jobs that I was interested in. Did not receive a response for a week. Followed up a week later and another phone screen was scheduled. The phone screen was then again rescheduled last minute. On the day of the phone screen, I again did not receive the call from the recruiter and had to instead call her. The recruiter asked exactly the same questions that she asked the first time. She assured that we'll be moving forward soon with the opportunities for which I had expressed interest. Did not receive any response from the recruiter even after following multiple times over a period of 2 more weeks.

Very disappointing experience. Not expected at all from a Big 4 firm.

Interview Questions

• Q. Please walk me through your profile.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for EY

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at EY (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Very unorganized. Was supposed to meet with two partners and when I got there one of them ended up being out of the office so I ended up interviewing with a random cranky old man who was not happy that he had to interview someone on short notice as soon as he got into the office. He was from another service line who had no clue what he was talking about in regards to the role I was interviewing for, and what type of experience was necessary, and was very adversarial to every response I gave. They should have just cancelled the interview and re-scheduled when the original person (who was most versed in the job functions I'd have been performing) was available.

Interview Questions

• Don't remember any questions. The interview with the first partner was more of an adversarial exchange with him regarding the experience we each had and how it differed. I tried to stay calm and reduce the snark involved in my responses as much as possinle, but that is very difficult to do when someone is constantly interrupting you and trying to tell you that the work you've done has been done "the wrong way" because it is not inline with the work they've done. The entire time I was thinking "dude...it's called client service....you perform services in line with client preferences, policies, and procedures while ensuring it complies with any applicable regulations...stop being a know it all."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at EY (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

First a phone interview with the HR, second face to face interviews with 4 partners. The interview with those partners were to discuss about 1. their background, 2. your experience and skill set, 3. your goals at the firm, 4. their expectations and possibilities at the firm. 5. challenges and 6. potential promotion. All of them were very professional and made me want to be part of the firm.

Interview Questions

• let's go through what you have done so far and what you would like to do here.   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at EY.

Interview

It took months not weeks especially since I am a higher level manager with seniority. It was quite unprofessional, with monthly reminders, shifting priorities and starting the in person interview 20 minutes late. They systems are rigid and it took them over a month to reimburse my travel expenses. Glad I didn't join their team, they are extremely demanding and what we call a chew factory. There is no work life balance and they will take every advantage from their employees in time, financially and benefits. Many professionals I know that have joined, were promised positions and promotions and they dangle these over them continually without ever rewarding them once they have met their goals. During the interview process no one smiled, not even around the office. It was evident that employees were focused and mechanical. They weren't even apologetic about keeping me waiting. I spent approximately 15-20 minutes with each interviewer since they had double booked appointments, so it was very quick and rushed.(Disorganized)

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know about my current employers strategies, which is confidential and violates most NDAs.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at EY (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Was contacted by outside recruiting firm initially. Went through a phone interview, then 5 more interviews, two directors, one executive director, and two partners. All very casual interviews, very conversational. They wanted to understand my technical background. Very accommodating to my questions about firm culture, etc. For the most part, I liked the people I interviewed with.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They gave a very respectable offer, certainly didn't feel like they were lowballing me. Came with a signing bonus. Always ask for more, worst they can say is no!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at EY (Chicago, IL) in March 2014.

Interview

Very professional and formal process. I liked the formality and thoroughness. They made me feel very important and comfortable. The actual interview process was somewhat cold and removed, though. They were more interested in technicalities than my personality and whether or not I would be a good fit. Some of the questions seemed like they were testing technical competence rather whether or not I would be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Post-interview process very distant and removed. Nothing like the pre-interview process.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at EY in January 2014.

Interview

several rounds of interview by phone and a take home case study to turn in. This was amongst the easiest interviews there was. The partners acting very smart, but where highly overrated.

Senior Manager Interview

Interview

very good but slow, it took around 2 months

Negotiation

friendly and fair

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at EY (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

Multiple interview levels. First a phone screen was conducted followed by personal office interviews. I was asked to come into their office on a friday and was interviewed by multiple individuals back to back over the 4 hours. The recruiter reached out to me next week with a positive outcome and started discussing the offer.

Interview Questions

• Prior experience, job content, communication and presentation skills   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at EY (New York, NY) in December 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by a headhunter who after 2 interviews had scheduled a phone screen with a principal at E&Y. A week after that they started working on an in person interview with Ernst & Young Advisory in NYC.

The HR team at EY was unorganized and would send out interview appointments on a Wednesday for that Friday, not factoring in that I am not even in the same time zone. We had to do that a few times until I finally made it.

There were 4 interviewers and one discussion with the in-house recruiter. The first interviewer was 20 minutes late for the 30 minute interview. Had no idea of my background and did not even know what was on the resume. He became agitated as I asked him a followup question about the group's strategy, which is a fairly common question. Second interviewer was the Principal I had initially spoken with and it went smooth, third interview was with another Prinicpal who was 15 minutes late for the interview, and had been with E&Y for all his career yet could not understand that in some companies the roles between delivery, management, and service development are not fully separate. The recruiter just wanted to know a number which would prompt me to jump ship, and it was on okay discussion. The Partner for the group had me wait for 20 minutes and then sent the message that he can not meet for 2 hours if I can wait or they will reschedule. The recruiter said they were ready to make an offer but needed for the partner to meet before they can give a final number.

Interview Questions

• from the in house recruiter- what number do I have to hit today for you to make the decision today and start on Monday.   Answer Question

The group did not seem to understand that the industry was changing. The role was good for the practice and what they needed, but it would have stifled my career with too narrow a focus on an industry and too narrow a focus on type of projects.