East West Bank Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

BSA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at East West Bank (Pasadena, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Preliminary interview over the phone with recruiter and in person interview was ok. However, the follow up process after that to find out if you are still in the process was horrible. I had to reach out the recruiter for a follow up, finding out the pay range was not aligned with what we had discussed in our conversation. They look for experienced associates but at the end they are not willing to pay.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your current position and what you do?   1 Answer

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North El Monte, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at East West Bank (North El Monte, CA).

Interview

For additional purposes of anonymity, names, times, and dates have been changed:

Recruiter contacted me and invited to an in-person interview with several members of their management team at the VP/FVP/Director level etc. Upon arriving, I was greeted by an extremely rude receptionist.

I told the receptionist I had a 10:00 appointment with John. She gave me the stink-eye and glared at me for a few moments looking extremely confused. I thought perhaps there's more than one John, so I clarified. "I have a 10AM appointment with John Doe." Still, got the stink-eye and continued glaring, with absolutely no response, no verbal acknowledgement, and no change in her body language from her for a few moments. "Who?". I again respond "John Doe." And again, she gives me some confused look as if I've just answered her in some foreign language. After a few moments of me continuing to smile and being positive/cheerful through this uncomfortable several moments of her glaring at me, I was then asked to sign in. I proceed to grab a pen and begin to sign in on the blank sign-in sheets on the counter. "Not there" she states. She proceeds to give me the exact same blank forms from her desk. "Sign this one." As I'm signing in, I ask her "how are you today?" No response. We're the only two people around. I wait a few moments as I figure perhaps she didn't hear me or thought I was talking to someone else. I ask again "how are you doing today?" Still, no response as she continued to blatantly ignore me. She turns her head, and I see no bluetooth headset in her ears, so she wasn't on a phone call.

After I sign in and hand the papers back to her, she again asks me who I'm meeting with. Again I respond "John Doe". Again, she continues to glare at me as if I have three heads, looking extremely confused, before asking: "Who else are you meeting with?" I respond: "Jane Doe and Jonathan Doe". Again, an extremely confused look on her face. "Take a seat, he'll be with you in a moment"

Meeting with the first manager/VP went extremely well. I'm led into a second room to meet with the next few people, more VP's/Directors. As we're waiting, I make small talk with the VP whose office we are using. Everything seemed to go well until this second-round interview officially got underway.

I was asked to describe my daily tasks and responsibilities. After I answered, the VP must have thought I was lying. (The scope and depth of my job is far outside the norms of a traditional role based on my job title.) She starts making up facts to counter my "lies". It's unfortunate that body language can't be captured here, but the tone of the conversation was something like this:

VP: Your company is the largest producer of this product segment in the entire United States. You're telling me you do all of that for your entire company? That seems unlikely
    Me: Actually, our department is quite small
    VP: No, I know your company is one of the largest producers of this product
    Me: Our company may be big, but this product segment is relatively small. Here are our numbers.
    VP: So you're telling me you review all products for every single person in the United States? That seems unlikely
    Me: Well again, we only produce X number of units per month, and I am one of X team members who does it
    VP: Right, well, that SOUNDS good (rolls eyes)

She then continued to say "that SOUNDS good" sarcastically throughout the remainder of the interview, which tells me she must have thought I was full of it. I kept things professional throughout the interview, but it was pretty obvious that she had already made up her mind that she thought I was liar because clearly, it's impossible for someone with only single-digit years of experience to be that good.

The recruiter contacted me afterwards to see how things went. I told him I would be more than happy to send a copy of my job description as support and evidence that my job scope and depth is what I said it was.

Bottom line: apparently I made the mistake of being truthful. If you are young and talented, and also depending on who you interview with, perhaps the best course of action would be to down-play your true knowledge, experience, skills, and abilities so that you don't run the chance of one of your interviewers thinking you're a liar.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at East West Bank (Pasadena, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with HR recruiter. In person interviews with hiring manager and head of the department. After 3 separate interviews, they indicated they would be putting together an offer for me. However, I never heard from them again. Not even a "no thank you" email. Nothing.

Business Continuity Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at East West Bank in July 2016.

Interview

I went through a phone interview twice and one face to face interview. I meet with the managers and the other team members. It was a great opportunity to undetstand the company's culture and what to expect.

COMMERCIAL LINE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at East West Bank (Pasadena, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied the position though a recruiter. It took 2 weeks I got the phone call from the hiring manager and she asked me to do the assessment. After another two weeks, I received the email from hiring manager to schedule an interview at following week. Negative experience due to their employee told me they hardly to get the clients and finish the sales goals as well as a lots of employees quit the job. However, their store manager,director and hiring manager just told that their store is division of EWB, and has too many customer bases. Also, their employees said they must flatter to bankers, if not, they could not get the referral from bank.

Interview Questions

• Asked the background. Current the position and job duty. Asked how to sell insurance to customer,for example.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst - Treasury Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at East West Bank (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and got the first phone interview from HR, focusing on background question. And she scheduled for the first-round face-to-face interview. The interviewers are very nice however, I do not think I perform well. They asked many questions about your skills and past experience.

Credit Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at East West Bank in May 2015.

Interview

One of the HR people emailed me to arrange an initiate phone interview. The phone interview was brief and easy. After the phone screening, I need to do couple online assessment tests. The tests were time consuming and intense. I spent about 1 hour and a half for the whole online assessment thing.

QC Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Monte, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at East West Bank (El Monte, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was called in for an interview for a QC Underwriter position on April 10th which should have been a panel interview with 3 people. I arrived early to the interview to ensure I was on time as i respect peoples times as i have been in their shoes before and understand the work load of a bank. When i arrived i was greeted by different employees which made me feel happy because they were attentive and that is something good for the company. After a few minutes one of the interviewers came out to greet me and advised that due to scheduling conflicts i will interview 3 separate times. I did not object as i do understand that things come up however i do not think when the appointment was set up that they scheduled appropriately. Each interview took anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. Again i was fine with the separate interviews however it was not appropriate to make me wait 20 minutes each interview. I was at the bank interviewing for almost 3 hours. With all this, I thought I gave my 100% with proving my track record of starting up a Quality control team with my previous employer which is basically what this job was. I thought the interviews went well with each one. Based on their responses they are looking to hire about 3 to 4 people depending on salary. After 2 weeks, I called the recruiter and left her a message as a follow up to the position. After almost a week of no call back i emailed her. Another week went by and i emailed again with no response. After several attempts to contact the recruiter and one of the interviewers, I finally heard back a month and 3 days after my interview. I sent an email as a follow up to the recruiter on May 13th at 12:41 pm requesting status and at 12:57pm i received a response advising that they are not moving forward. Its odd that she was able to respond that quick to this final email but what happened to the other attempts. This is called lack of communication and that is scary to know that a bank personnel has such lack of respect for people. I am very disappointed that not one person had the respect enough to respond with the status of the position. This is not appropriate especially as a bank. If this is how they conduct business with potential employees how do they handle customers.

Interview Questions

• How long have you been in Quality Control?   1 Answer
    • How would you recommend for our QC department to controlled?   1 Answer

Relationship Manager Interview

Application

I interviewed at East West Bank in November 2013.

Interview

The recruiter approached me over the phone first, and invited me to their campus event. After attending the campus event, submitted resume via my school recruiting system, I received 1st round interview, which is with 2 recruiters. Afterwards, I received a online aptitude test. After that, I received the final round interview invite. The final round is with 3 executives from HR, Credit, and Relationship management departments.

Interview Questions

• - If you are give a client to pitch, what would you say?
      - Give me a example when you successfully handled an unexpected situation.   Answer Question

Customer Relation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at East West Bank (Seattle, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

The interview was set up via school career service. The interviewer basically went through my resume and asked several behavioral questions. That was a 2-person interview. So both interviewees got to answer questions by order. At the end of the interview, the interviewer asked us to pick one item that she prepared, and gave us 5 minutes to prepare and let us do a pitch.

Interview Questions

• The questions she asked were simple and basic. The most difficult part I would say the sales pitch part because she gave us water bottle, notebook and a shopping bag, which I had totally no ideas how to make a attractive pitch in 5 mins though.   Answer Question