EchoStar Embedded Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

EchoStar Embedded Software Engineer Interview Questions

Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at EchoStar (Englewood, CO) in February 2016.

Interview

I sat in with a group of four other engineers for about an hour and a half. The team all took turns asking questions about the experiences I listed in my resume and my knowledge on abstract data structures such as the heap and the stack. They also asked me about my knowledge in C, including evaluating a macro. Following that, they gave me some sample code written in C and asked me to see what was wrong with the code. There was one whiteboarding problem at the end.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm that would reverse the characters of a char array.   1 Answer
  • What is the difference between the volatile and the const keywords?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for EchoStar

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at EchoStar in August 2014.

Interview

Phone interview, asked about myself and some behavior questions. After this, technical questions, the interviewer speaking to fast and unclear, questions are confusing, and nothing related with algorithms and data structures.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at EchoStar (Atlanta, GA) in October 2012.

Interview

It was well-organized. There were six candidates and we were brought in for breakfast before being split up into two groups - one group had their interviews while the other was given a tour of the facilities. Lunch followed with the team and the groups were switched, after which we were given a small product demonstration, an overview of the benefits offered, before we were let go for the day.

My interview in itself was based on my resume for the most part, with some C code analysis thrown in.

I'm still waiting on their decision to be made.

Interview Questions

• Was there a time where you were required to work on behalf of other members of your team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EchoStar (Atlanta, GA) in October 2011.

Interview

The process started my schools (Clemson) career fair. After Talking to the two representatives they took my resume and invited me to an on campus interview the next day. Most of the questions were based off my resume with few technical questions. A few weeks later I received an email inviting me to their "career day" where they brought in about 15 other interviewees. They split us into two groups and interviewed the first group and gave the second group a tour and had them fill out some paper work. Then the two groups switched. We were fed lunch then it was over around 2pm.

The technical questions asked were along the lines of

Question: What happens when you try to free a null pointer

Question: What is the difference between a process and a thread

Question: What is the difference between the stack and the heap

Question: What is "yoda conditions"
       Answer: this is an obscure question so i'll provide an answer.

Normally you'd write an if conditional like this: if( ch1 == '_' ); however, if you use yoda conditions "if('_' == ch1) { ... }" it allows the compiler to catch the occasional typo "if('_' = ch1) { ..}" i.e. the compiler will say you cannot assign a value to a constant thus catching your error (not typing if('_' == ch1)).

Also they gave us a print out of a program with several errors and we had to identify them all and give suggestions on how to correct them. Make you know what a unit8 is and how using that could be bad for processing a string.

Interview Questions

• What happens when you try to free a null pointer   1 Answer
    • What is the difference between a process and a thread   1 Answer
    • What is the difference between the stack and the heap   1 Answer
    • What is the deference between a semaphore and a mutex   2 Answers

Had a better offer with a better company