Economical Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 25, 2017

2.9

Commercial Underwriting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

Interview

The whole qualifying process with Economical has been quite upsetting or even humiliating. There was the telephone interview, a lengthy personality assessment test, two different typing tests, one Q & A interview digging out how you dealt with difficult former co-worker(s), or difficult situation based on real experiences from previous insurance companies, etc.etc.. They required three references too.

I achieved my CIP designation and I have more than five (5) years of experience working as a Commercial Underwriting Assistant. They didn't even ask to see my CIP certificate. They turned me down!! I asked why, they only provided a blanket statement!!

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Economical Insurance (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

Typical interview guide. Questions were set based off the guide. Interview did not really ask about skills for the job. More concerned with asking the questions from the guide

Customer Service Hero-Sonnet Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Economical Insurance (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online, had a phone interview, was told about the next steps during the phone interview and that it would be a group interview. There were about 8 other candidates at the interview. It consisted of an introduction to the company, one-on-one interviews with 2 managers and a task to complete as part of a group. Overall it was an easy interview process and you really have to outshine the other candidates. It was clear they were looking for very outgoing and enthusiastic people.

Intermediate Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Economical Insurance (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied for this role and within a week got an email to set up a phone interview with HR.
    Next step I had a face to face interview with the hiring Manager (Sr Finance Manager), prior to that I had to do a personality test.
    The interview I thought went pretty well, until I asked what the key challenges for the role is and I was outright told that I am over qualified for the position!

People apply to positions for various reasons... could be my desired company/industry, could be that I wanna be closer to home etc, I think what's more important is establishing if the candidate can perform on the job and assessing wether they'll be around the company for long...anyway..

So a week after the interview, I reach out to HR for feedback and I am told my application is still under consideration (hiring manager still wrapping up with interviews) and that they'll have feedback for me in the following week - fair enough - so following week comes and I don't hear a thing so I follow up and I am told hiring manager will reach out to me by end of that week.
    So as you guessed, I didn't hear a word from hiring manager.

At this point I was basically just trying to get some feedback cos for me, I seek to get better at what I do.
    I am plain disappointed with the whole process and I forgot to say that the exact same job got reposted this week and receiving applications.

This might be unrelated, but it's worth saying....
    On the day of the interview ( which was during typical core lunch hours) I observed staff going in and out of the building while I waited at the reception and believe it or not, I didn't see any non-Caucasian.

....and to top it off, go look at the leadership team on their website and you would see for yourself!
    This company needs to start embracing DIVERSITY! and needless to say I am a person of colour, not sure if this had anything to do with my experience above.

Underwriting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Economical Insurance (Kitchener, ON (Canada)) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone interview and typing test followed by an in person interview with an HR representative and a team lead about a week later. Typical structured questions followed by behavioural questions. The behavioural questions were to do with their core values so make sure to prepare some examples how well you work with others, how you deal with conflict, criticism, ethical behaviour at work.

Interview Questions

• Last time you had a strained relationship with a colleague and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Situation in which you had difficulty adjusting to change?   Answer Question
    • How well do you handle criticism, give an example   Answer Question
    • How do you remain organized and focused on a job with many repetitve tasks   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Economical Insurance in February 2016.

Interview

Interview was over the phone with two people. Thought it was a good interview,but did not get an offer. There was a mix of both technical and behavioural question. Nothing out of the ordinary. The process was straight forward and the interviewers asked questions that matched the job description

Interview Questions

• If you were a friend and I told you I needed to buy a car, what questions would you ask me?   Answer Question

Test Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Economical Insurance.

Interview

Some standard screening questions by HR. Actual interview was standard Behavioral Questions. Describe what you did in previous projects, conflict resolution, process change, leadership, etc. Last one was "John and Tom together have $21. John has $20 more than Tom. How many dollars does Tom have." This site does not let user submit review with less than 50 words, so adding this sentence to go over 50 words.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Economical Insurance in October 2015.

Interview

Fairly easy, mainly behavioral questions. Whole process took around 2-3 weeks. They had an interview room in the office and things felt very light and easy going. Interviewed by both team leads. Had around 6-8 big behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you felt like you had to do something unethical at a job, what did you do? what happened?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Economical Insurance (Waterloo, ON (Canada)).

Interview

3 Rounds in Person after a 1st round phone screening.
    1st round: 2 managers, pretty straight forward behavioural questions.
    2nd round: manager and director, similar questions as to 1st round.
    3rd round (Which I did not make): VP Finance, supposedly a more casual chat

Interview Questions

• Why did you chose this Economical?
      Multiple behavioural questions (personal strengths & weaknesses, ability to work with individuals across various levels of the organization, career goal, etc.)   Answer Question

Underwriting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Economical Insurance (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online on June 2015, received an email confirming an appropriate date and time for a phone-interview. The phone interview was very general and only took about 15 minutes. After this initial phone interview she sent me an email to do an online typing data/entry assessment. After about two weeks, I received a call from one of the team leads to set up an in person interview. The interview was about half an hour with two team leads, they asked about my prior work experiences and why I chose the insurance industry. The second part of the interview was in relation to their code of conduct and was scenario based questions. After three weeks I received a call from the team lead and an offer of employment which I accepted in August 2015.