Education Advisory Board Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 20, 2017

3.1

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Education Advisory Board (New York, NY).

Interview

I had a 30 minute conversation with a recruiter, who then had me apply for the job and simultaneously offered me an interview in DC. I completed a writing case, then had two fit/case interviews at the office. The cases were simple, but I didn’t feel that I could use my typical case answer format to answer the questions. HUGE delay between each step of the interview process.

Development Vice President Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Advisory Board.

Interview

Apply online, phone interview for about an hour, ask to come and interview in person. There was little communication between the interviews. The in person interview was interesting, was kept waitng for a while. When the interviewer came in, did apologize for being late. The still kept the interview stopping at the end time.

Interview Questions

• What would be your strategy to raise 1 million dollars in a 6 week timeframe?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a difficult employee   Answer Question

Another offer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

First a phone screen with HR, then with hiring manager, then 3 different calls with team members. Then had a half-day of interviews in Washington, DC office. They flew me to DC for the interview which was nice. About a week after that then a follow-up phone call with hiring manager. In order to advance to each stage I had to call and/or email my HR contact, who would then get back to me fairly quickly and then things would move forward. It almost seemed like I had to remind them that they were interviewing me. In the end I declined the offer I was given because we could not reach agreement on compensation. This was frustrating because I was honest about my requirements during the initial phone screen, and then the offer I received was well below that amount. I tried to figure out where the disconnect occurred but the HR specialist was not very forthcoming and seemed largely unwilling (possible unable?) to negotiate.

Overall the company seems pleasant enough to work for, and I know they produce good work. I still have a positive perception of the company overall but the interview process left a lot to be desired.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a difficult relationship with a co-worker and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Also had a Consulting case-style session in which they asked me how I would help a college/university solve an enrollment challenge.   Answer Question

Could not come to agreement on salary.

Senior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Advisory Board (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Very pleasant interview and exchange between myself and recruiter. First call was interview with recruiter; in several weeks they followed up with a writing assignment followed by another phone interview and case study.

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

Staff was unprepared, as if they had forgotten I was on the schedule. Waited in an office for over fifteen minutes for part one, a phone interview and then another few minute for part two, an in-person version with identical questions. Was reassured twice via email that I would hear a follow-up, was strung along for over a month, and never heard a peep from the company. Unreliable HR department, from my experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Education Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

I have two rounds of technical interview onsite. One with a design related question in the morning and a coding session in the afternoon. My interviewers are nice and patient enough to help you tackle the problem.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Education Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

The first sign that this factory-like atmosphere produced a cold and unwelcoming work environment occurred when a group of employees refused to hold the elevator door open for me. They did not even bother to offer a quick apology as the elevator door shut on my foot. After I finally made it up to the eighth floor for my interview (a floor that is basically dedicated to conducting interviews), I sat and waited, as my interviewer was late. Things continued to go down hill after my interviewer realized that all the interview rooms were occupied. (Yes, even though they have a whole floor dedicated to conducting interviews, HR failed to ensure that there would be enough space to conduct all the interviews scheduled for that morning.)

We proceeded to journey to two separate floors in search of a possible room to carry out the interview. We finally found a space in an abandoned office right by the construction going on across the street. It seemed that this debacle put my interviewer in a bad mood as she proceeded to be quite rude as the interview unfolded. She refused to answer several of my questions, and dismissed them by waving her hands around and indicating that they were not worth her time. At various moments, while I attempted to tell her about myself, she proceeded to conduct work on her laptop without giving me any signal that she was still listening to what I was saying. She also asked me if I had children; a question that I found extremely inappropriate. In short, it appeared that she wanted to make me as uncomfortable as possible during this unfortunate experience.

Things only got worse when we turned to the case-style portion of the interview. She asked me about a complicated study that she had previously managed. When I started to map out my process for trying to solve the problem, she immediately told me I was wrong. While it is to be expected that interviewers will present roadblocks, it was out of place for her to shut me down immediately and not try to offer some other possible avenues for where to turn next. Additionally, when I tried to present a root-cause analysis of the case, she told me to stop harping on the “why.” At this point, I knew I would be unable to demonstrate my skills in such an unsupportive situation. After my interviews ended, I was told by the receptionist that even though EAB had offered to validate my parking when they invited me to come on site for the interviews, they now would be unable to do so, because HR had run out of the necessary forms.

Overall, EAB demands a lot of time and energy from their prospective employees. (Two phone interviews, a writing test, and 2-3 in-person interviews.) The questions are not straightforward. While EAB indicates that its interviewees do not need to be overly familiar with business affairs or the issues in Higher Ed, this is simply not the case. I studied EAB’s website and reports for at least a week before each interview. (I made extensive notes and study guides for myself.) Even with all that prep work, I still felt that my in-person interviewers expected me to know more about the company’s methodology. The whole process felt backward, as if my work was being tested before I had any specific training experience for that particular job. After all the time and energy spent on EAB, I only received a quick, generic regret email that did not contain any specific feedback. My advice: do not waste your energy on this company unless you are sure you want to be a part of this type of work environment.

Interview Questions

• Why EAB? What does EAB do? Tell me specifically about their projects and studies.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Education Advisory Board in September 2016.

Interview

I was contacted after a day someone referred me. I had my first interview with an HR person. The questions that she asked were all on the glassdoor interview reviews. It lasted for about 30 minutes. I was told they would get back to me in a week or two.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you would advise the leaders of your university?   Answer Question

Account Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Education Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

During the interview process, I had one initial phone call, then two back-to-back physical interviews at their office. Each interview was roughly half an hour and followed a similar structure. Although I felt good about all of the interviews, I was not given an offer and was not notified for two weeks.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Education Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

I had my resume submitted through the referral portal and was contacted immediately. I set up a screen interview with an HR person and she was very personable and put me at ease. The normal questions: How did you hear about the company? Why are you interested in the job? Can you tell me a little bit about your experience with research? Do you have any questions for me? Gut check on salary question, etc. Then about a week later HR scheduled a 90 minute writing exercise and two case interviews. The 90-minute exercise was a case about a higher education institution facing a financial crisis and the need to attract out-of-state tuition and to write a memo advising the university's administration on what to consider. The two case interviews each lasted about an hour, asking about university operations, however the first one was somewhat bizarre and veered from the topic of education. I am not sure if the interviewer didn't like me and was trying to throw me off, or if it was meant to see how you respond to uncertainty in a client-facing environment. I knew leaving the building that I would not get hired. A week later I got a format email from HR saying they were not going to pursue me as a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?   1 Answer
    • Why are you interested in the organization   1 Answer