Education Pioneers Analyst Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Education Pioneers Analyst Fellow Interview Questions

3.5

Analyst Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in July 2015.

Interview

Application -> Quant (Excel) Assessment -> Phone Screen -> In-House Group Interview (Individual Activity & Group Activity)

It is quite a lengthy process, and even after receiving an offer you have to go through another set of interviews (behavioral and/or case study) with the partner organization that is interested in your resume. It's almost best to think of Education Pioneers as a head hunter role within the Ed sector. The process really starts after you receive the offer from Education Pioneers. It is unfortunate that Education Pioneers and its network of partner organizations cannot sync up on standardizing the application process or at least utilizing some of Education Pioneers' interview process to help vet Fellowship candidates with the partner organizations. There is a lot of effort and time invested into just applying for Education Pioneers, so keep that in mind.

The communication with Education Pioneers after receiving your offer can be best assessed and described as sub-par to mediocre. I recommend you take a proactive approach if you're at this stage. Do not be afraid to repeatedly clear up and clarify the message you receive, as it can conflict at time.

Overall, most of the you meet are fantastic and helpful, but the application process itself and the key players involved in the application cycle needs work.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral questions were provided. With regards to the assessments, you should be comfortable with Excel (intermediate), but by no means are you asked to do anything too complicated within Excel.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-Negotiable salary offer, and it is clearly stated on the EP website.

Other Interview Reviews for Education Pioneers

Analyst Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview

Very involved multi-step hiring process including sample data analysis, phone interview, 1 on 1 interview, and group project/presentation. Succeeding in the interview process, however, does not guarantee you a position, which depends entirely on matching you with an interested partner organization.

Interview Questions

• Very standard set of interview questions and scenarios   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Excel skills assessment followed by phone interview followed by group interview. The phone interview was pretty standard, questions about experience, motivation and a few scenarios. The group interview involved using a data set about a group of school management networks to make a presentation and then working together with the others to make a group presentation.

Interview Questions

• What recommendations would you make given this data set? What trends do you observe?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial steps include submitting an online application and completing a data exercise. If selected, you'll participate in a phone interview and then if you advance to the final round, it will be a group interview. If given an offer, you move to the placement process where they try to match you with a partner organization and project.

Interview Questions

• When is a time you've dealt with an ambiguous situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online. They followed up in a few days with an excel test. The test was on basic skills of organizing data in a file that they sent and then writing short answers to questions about what the data suggested, what recommendations you could make, etc. I found the excel test pretty straightforward but I would suggest brushing up on excel skills like making tables, graphs, etc. I also found that the excel test took me longer than the 90 minutes they referenced despite the fact that I've spent a lot of time on excel for work over the past 5 years. I don't know if perhaps I spent too long on answering the short answer questions or something else. Afterward, they contacted me to schedule a phone interview, which I scheduled online.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Oakland, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

There was a detailed online application, optional reception, several hours long Excel test, phone screen, and a several hours long in-person group interview (individual exercise, presentation, group exercise, presentation). This was followed by a 2h break and a 'mandatory reception.' THEN I was accepted into the placement process, and you have to re-do your resume and wait for a placement suggestion so you can go for an interview with an organization where you might actually work!

I'm surprised there were no blood tests or tough mudder races.

So yes, it was a long process, especially if you consider that this is for a 10 month fellowship that pays $45k. I'm 90 days in and haven't received a placement suggestion yet. The upside of all of this is that I learned a ton about education reform and met many current fellows, all of whom were generous in talking about their experience and giving advice.

I believe that EP is a great opportunity for the right people--that is, someone a few years out of college who really wants to get into data-related education reform work and who doesn't have another avenue to do so.

Interview Questions

• What was one time when you had a difficult interpersonal situation at work, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

In depth process with multiple stages. Application, excel task, phone interview, in-person group interview. They are very upfront about the whole process and the conditional offer you will receive on being accepted. I accepted the conditional offer and was very excited and hopeful for a placement.

The placement process is where the whole system breaks down. Communication with my coordinator was very limited. I would reach out to him and it would take him weeks to respond to me. He would tell me about potential placements and then I would never received any sort of follow-up from him or the organizations. I did not interview with a single organization. While it was understood that the offer was conditional I expected education pioneers do a better job with the placement process. It seemed like they really weren't interested in placing me at all.

Analyst Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for the Analyst Fellowship in February and soon after received an critical thinking assignment. This exercise was a data analysis task using Excel. I recommend reviewing some concepts in Excel beforehand, otherwise, the exercise required mostly common sense mixed with some technical/statistical ability. About a month later, I received an invitation for a phone interview, which I scheduled online. The interview was conducted by an Education Pioneers alumni. She was very pleasant, but a little robotic as the questions were obviously pre-defined and structured to achieve consistency in the interviews. At this point, I am waiting to hear about the group interview, and they are very clear about the timeline of the notification, with all dates posted on their website.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you worked with a difficult person and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (New Orleans, LA) in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted an online application, did a quantitative excercise and had a phone interview. My phone interview consisted of basic behavioral questions and a scenario. I also got the chance to ask questions from an alum.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you worked with someone who had a different work style?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

The process is made up of 4 parts: Submit Resume, Quantitative Exercise, Behavioral Interview, and Group Interview. It allows you to slowly to decide whether you would like to take the job. It also gives you a great perspective about the company. I enjoyed meeting a lot of the people involved in the program, but ultimately decided not to take the job

Interview Questions

• Dissect data and come up with presentation and present it in 90 min   Answer Question

Didn't get the city that I wanted