Education Pioneers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Education Pioneers Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2017

3.3

Career Track Fellow Interview

Interview

Before the interview, there was an extensive application followed by an exercise to complete depending on the primary job function one listed in the application. The application and the interview probed the alignment of one's career search mission to supporting educational equity.

Interview Questions

• What questions would you ask your manager if you only have 1 hour to sit down with them in a new position? How would you leverage resources?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in June 2017.

Interview

The process took less than a month. After the initial application you're given a performance task based on your skill set (data analysis vs project management). The final step involved a phone interview with an EP alum. The interview focused on why you're interested in education. I suggest spending time to really reflect on what compels you to do this work, especially if your background doesn't include any k-12 experience. A good starting point is to do some reading on education equity. There are some interviews you can walk into with no preparation - this isn't one of them. Now do you need to prepare for hours? No. But know their mission/values and try to align them with your own professional experiences.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between educational equity vs inequality?   1 Answer
    • You only have an hour with your manager to ask questions about a new project. What questions would you ask?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you face uncertainty in the workplace or personal life and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

1. Filled out application online, including short responses, and information on skills and abilities
    2. Received an invitation to complete a project.
    3. Receive invitation to phone interview. The phone interview follows a script, which did not make sense given my background.
    4. Received finalist offer. Accepted offer.
    5. After accepting finalist offer, my references received an e-mail about my application.

Received a finalist invitation 45 minutes after my phone interview, which confused me. The e-mail stated that I would be considered for roles "before the standard process". I have not received any potential matches.

After I accepted my finalist offer (I unfortunately withdrew from a last round interview with another organization so that I could commit myself 100% to Ed Pioneers -- the one week turnaround to accept the finalist invitation did not work otherwise), I started to get little to no information from Ed Pioneers. While they were very hands on during the recruitment process, matching has been a silent dead zone for me. I've read that about 24% of people of color withdraw during the placement process -- as a person of color myself, I understand this. It is frustrating to receive a finalist invitation and then be summarily hung out to dry. Every one of my questions to my placement contact is met with an evasive answer and a generic response. I have continued to job search outside of Ed Pioneers, and it seems as though I will end up working in another organization. This is unfortunate, as I am committed to EP's commitment to diversity and equity in education.

There were supposedly modifications to the placement process which happened last year, but as I speak to former fellows, it seems that the system and the frustration remains the same.

Before accepting a conditional offer, make sure that you have planned out some alternatives. This is a tedious, daunting, drawn out process.

Interview Questions

• What are three types of privilege that you have?
      How would you define the difference between equity and equality?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Interview

Although EP has good intentions, its interview and application process is not set up to build trust - the process was ill constructed and lacked transparency. After having spend over 5 hours in the application process, candidates were blindsided with an assignment arbitrarily involving a single selected software package (no alternatives permitted) while having implied previously that its skill requirements were more diversified. EP can earn a better reputation by disclosing its requirements honestly up front.

Interview Questions

• The superintendent wants you to build a dashboard -- a visual representation of the data -- that will help individual principals understand their schools’ performance in the context of the district and the state. The dashboard should be flexible, user-friendly, and replicable, include: The percent of students who were proficient or above (scoring 75%+) in math and English Language Arts. Student performance broken down by ethnicity, income levels, and in comparison to district and state averages. How student proficiency results are changing year over year.   1 Answer

Career Track Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in May 2017.

Interview

Before the application deadline you are required to submit an application that sums up your overall work experience including short statements. After submitting your application you are invited to take one of two assessments testing either Excel skills or your project/strategic planning skills. You are then interviewed by an alumni of the fellowship. Still waiting on the results.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in March 2017.

Interview

Tedious drawn-out process consisting of a lengthy application, phone interview, and in-person group interview, plus multiple webexes. Marketing & materials throughout the application peocess were well developed and flashy, but support after the finalist round was minimal. I was congratulated for being a finalist but then summarily hung out to dry once my initial placement was not successful. EP's "support system" was unresponsive, unhelpful, and repeated told me that mine was a "rare circumstance."

I get the sense that resources at EP ate poured into self-promotion and PR, with little development or sophistication in the placement process.

Summer Fellowship Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in February 2017.

Interview

I applied initially online, then in the second phase participated in a 45 minute interview. The last phase was an in-person group interview with 20 individuals for 3 hours. The group interview day was a case study in which you work in groups to present on a case.

Summer Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I filled out the application online which required standard resume stuff as well as some detailed short answers about job experience/skills that you have. A few weeks later I received an invitation to do a phone interview. The interviewer was an EP alum, very nice, and the conversation lasted about 45 minutes. I just had the interview so I won't know about an offer for some time.

Interview Questions

• Describe examples of privilege that you have experienced (or haven't experienced).   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you were given feedback on an area of growth and how you received it.   Answer Question

Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview process estimated to take between 30-45 minutes. Mine took 28 minutes and I spent 4 minutes asking questions. Interviewer is an alumnus who might not necessarily have specificity about locations, day-to-day experiences, or updated long-term goals of the organization.

Lots of behavior questions and ambiguous scenarios. Seemed to focus on self-regulation in adverse situations. Also an implicit expectation was to have a good understanding of your identity, diversity, and how it relates to education.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your privilege.   Answer Question
    • Something about how you understand the relationship between equality and equity   Answer Question
    • A few questions about how do you work with others in an uncertain and fast-paced environment where you can't asking questions later.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

This was a 45 minute phone interview with an alumni, who was very friendly and took the time to explain the rest of the process to me and answer questions about his experience with the program. I was expecting more questions about my skills, experiences, strengths, etc. than the interviewer asked.

Interview Questions

• What are two types of privilege? Give examples of how privilege can be used to benefit others.   Answer Question