Education Pioneers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2017

3.3

Manager, Learning Programs (Eastern) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Painful. The initial person who called to screen was fine - subsequent interview felt like a Catch-22 interrogation. I felt that the questions being asked had no bearing on your work experience, rather they served to "weed" out candidates, so I don't feel that they were entirely transparent on their part.

Interview Questions

• Have you had any diversity training?   2 Answers

Analyst Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Boston, MA) in May 2012.

Interview

It was pretty intense - a preliminary application, then you were invited to a online test of sorts involving data analysis & manipulation in Excel, then if you passed that, you were invited for a phone interview. The finalists were then interviewed in competitive group half-day interviews, where about 20 candidates met at the same time to complete two steps. The first was an individual data analysis and presentation, and the second was working in a small group to put together a group presentation while you were being observed. It was intimidating beforehand, but during the group interview itself I actually enjoyed the challenge.

Interview Questions

• I think the hardest part for me was the online analysis in Excel, because it was timed and devoid of context. For the group interview, the task was placed in a case study context and it was clearer what the objective was, so I actually found that easier. I also just liked actually interacting with people in person not just following automated directions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was actually given a conditional offer, which I gladly accepted. When I got the offer, I was told it was very likely they would be able to find me a placement. Then the woman responsible for my placement (whom I had never met throughout the interview process) apparently didn't think me qualified or something, because she made very little effort to place me - she got me only one interview with a prospective sponsor organization, one that she admitted was highly unlikely to take any fellows. She strung the whole process out over almost the whole summer - even when the program was supposed to start in August. Her attitude and treatment of me really colored my opinion of the whole organization, which up to that point I had been favorable impressed with.

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process included several components: independent application with essay submission, phone interview, and a group interview day with optional mixer afterward. The process was lengthy and the rationale behind moving forward or being rejected was, at times, opaque.

Interview Questions

• The interview day included a group assignment in which groups made a collective decision about a transformation school within a fictional neighborhood. Groups presented to another group and answered questions.   1 Answer

Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

First, there is an online application. After this step, there is a basic phone interview with a former Education Pioneers Fellow. This usually lasts 30 minutes. Last, there is a group interview with other EP applicants. You are given a task to complete as a group.

Phone interview with former Education Pioneers Fellow
    3. Group interview with other EP Fellows

Career Track Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

This was a 45 minute phone interview with an alumni, who was very friendly and took the time to explain the rest of the process to me and answer questions about his experience with the program. I was expecting more questions about my skills, experiences, strengths, etc. than the interviewer asked.

Interview Questions

• What are two types of privilege? Give examples of how privilege can be used to benefit others.   Answer Question

Summer Fellowship Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in February 2017.

Interview

I applied initially online, then in the second phase participated in a 45 minute interview. The last phase was an in-person group interview with 20 individuals for 3 hours. The group interview day was a case study in which you work in groups to present on a case.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I filled out the application online which required standard resume stuff as well as some detailed short answers about job experience/skills that you have. A few weeks later I received an invitation to do a phone interview. The interviewer was an EP alum, very nice, and the conversation lasted about 45 minutes. I just had the interview so I won't know about an offer for some time.

Interview Questions

• Describe examples of privilege that you have experienced (or haven't experienced).   Answer Question
    • What questions would you ask your manager if you only have 1 hour to sit down with them in a new position? How would you leverage resources?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you were given feedback on an area of growth and how you received it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very intense interview process, phone conversation then group interview then enforced "social time" after group interview. Overall over than 6 hours of interviewing. I was told I completed this round successfully and entered the summer matching process. They said most people get placed and very few do not. When I asked for more info and statistics they refused to provide it. I did not get matched the first round. When I asked for feedback in order to make sure I was highlighting my skills effectively they said they could not give me any info but that they "believed in my potential" and would keep looking. When I was on the matching summer webinar I asked what was the likelihood of getting matched they again refused to answer. Then today when I was told again that there were no matches they finally will allow me to talk to a staff member in order to receive information. This was an extremely frustrating process and I would not recommend education pioneers to anyone.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in education reform? Tell us about a professional challenge and how you overcame it.

Group interview: Make recommendations about which charter school or network should take over a failing public school.   Answer Question

Year-long Graduate Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Washington, DC).

Interview

After submitted application, the next phase is the phone interview. The tone of the phone interview is professional, but also friendly. They are generally conducted by EP alumni. They have a list of 5-10 questions, then they let you ask any questions you might have. The Group Interview is more intense. You will play out different scenarios and problem solve as a team. There is also a networking happy hour afterwards that is optional, but if you want the job, you should be there. While this is a long process, it isn't too bad. Where EP fails however is their placement process. I describe it to others as "the wheels fall off the bus." Since completing my fellowship, I have had dozens of calls/emails from people in the stage. It is confusing and stressful. If you make it through however, the program is well worth it!

Interview Questions

• 1) Describe a time you had a conflict with a co-worker. How did you handle it? How was it resolved?
      2) Tell me about a time you failed.
      3) What do you like about this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

The process involved an online assessment, followed by a telephone behavioral interview, followed by an in person group interview. The interview process was pretty intensive - but enjoyable. The in person group interview was followed by a reception for the interviewees. I was offered a fellowship but that's where the transparency about the process ended. I accepted the offer but was not placed with a partnering organization - EP kept me hanging for 2.5 months. Thankfully I kept interviewing and had other options - beware if your graduate program requires an internship, EP rarely guarantees a placement. So, accept their offer but keep looking - I declined a paid position overseas for the opportunity to consult with a partner, but that never happened! Again, it could be a great organization but they lack transparency when it comes to their process - pressuring you into signing a 'contract' and scaring you that if you break it they'll report you to your school. Their tactics need to change - winning people through fear and pressure often doesn't work!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were faced with a difficult work relationship, how were you able to resolve it? The in person group interview was problem solving and a case study and team presentation.   Answer Question