Education Pioneers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 21, 2017

3.3

Summer Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very intense interview process, phone conversation then group interview then enforced "social time" after group interview. Overall over than 6 hours of interviewing. I was told I completed this round successfully and entered the summer matching process. They said most people get placed and very few do not. When I asked for more info and statistics they refused to provide it. I did not get matched the first round. When I asked for feedback in order to make sure I was highlighting my skills effectively they said they could not give me any info but that they "believed in my potential" and would keep looking. When I was on the matching summer webinar I asked what was the likelihood of getting matched they again refused to answer. Then today when I was told again that there were no matches they finally will allow me to talk to a staff member in order to receive information. This was an extremely frustrating process and I would not recommend education pioneers to anyone.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in education reform? Tell us about a professional challenge and how you overcame it.

Group interview: Make recommendations about which charter school or network should take over a failing public school.

Manager, Learning Programs (Eastern) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Painful. The initial person who called to screen was fine - subsequent interview felt like a Catch-22 interrogation. I felt that the questions being asked had no bearing on your work experience, rather they served to "weed" out candidates, so I don't feel that they were entirely transparent on their part.

Interview Questions

• Have you had any diversity training?   2 Answers

Career Fellowship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in May 2016.

Interview

I had about a 30 minute conversation on the phone with my interviewer, who was an alum of the summer fellowship in 2010 (so not the fellowship that I applied for). It was a straightforward process, and there was clearly a list of questions he wanted to get through, so I kept to answering those. I originally had scheduled an interview for two weeks before, but Education Pioneers had to cancel that time slot and reschedule me to a less desirable time slot. I expect the interviewers have a lot of interviews to get through!

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to continue a career in education? Talk about a time when you exceeded expectations. Talk about a time when you dealt with ambiguity or uncertainty.   Answer Question

Year-long Graduate Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Washington, DC).

Interview

After submitted application, the next phase is the phone interview. The tone of the phone interview is professional, but also friendly. They are generally conducted by EP alumni. They have a list of 5-10 questions, then they let you ask any questions you might have. The Group Interview is more intense. You will play out different scenarios and problem solve as a team. There is also a networking happy hour afterwards that is optional, but if you want the job, you should be there. While this is a long process, it isn't too bad. Where EP fails however is their placement process. I describe it to others as "the wheels fall off the bus." Since completing my fellowship, I have had dozens of calls/emails from people in the stage. It is confusing and stressful. If you make it through however, the program is well worth it!

Interview Questions

• 1) Describe a time you had a conflict with a co-worker. How did you handle it? How was it resolved?
      2) Tell me about a time you failed.
      3) What do you like about this position?

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied last year and the format has changed. Last year (summer 2015) you first had to do an online exercise and answer two short answer questions. The whole process was timed. This year (summer 2016) you still had the online application, but you only had two short answer questions to answer and there was simply a due date. The second stage for both years was a phone interview and the third stage is a group interview.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were mostly behavioral. Tell me a time when you had a different work style than a coworker and how did you handle the situation. Tell me about a time you went above and beyond expectations. Tell me a time you were faced with an ambiguous situation. Something about teamwork. The most BASIC behavioral questions that you can find help to answering on any website. I enjoyed that aspect because I felt prepared.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in March 2016.

Interview

Received an email invite to the interview on Feb 24th as promised, after submitting app online around Feb 12th. Just had the first interview with a lady in their admissions department. She kindly and clearly laid out what to expect in and after the interview. Interview itself was about 50 minutes, consisting of probing my experience/behavior/interest in education and this opportunity (see below) and time for me to ask her questions.

At first, my interviewer sounded a bit tired and disengaged, but as I was sharing my experience/background with her, she became more interested and engaged. She answered my questions about the process and the program to the best of her ability and where she didn't have much information, she kindly emailed me with detailed info right after the interview, which was very helpful and much appreciated.

Overall, it was a very clear process and the attentiveness by the interviewer was appreciated, and I'm looking forward to hearing back by March 11th.

Interview Questions

• -Describe a recent project.
      -Experience where I had to deal with ambiguity/changing expectation and what did you learn?
      -Experience working with someone with different style and what did you learn?
      -Describe this specific experience in your resume (was about a club I'm part of): what is this club for and what did you/club offer for its members?
      -What specific issues in education would you like to work on?
      -What skills you have would be valuable for this fellowship?
      -How does this fellowship fit into your overall career/what do you want to gain from this?
      Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in February 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty straight forward.
    1. Fill out an online application

2. Join the online community board

3. If accepted at this stage, set up a phone interview. Mine was with a former alum. Im sure each conversation is different but the general structure is probably similar. It was a 30-45 min phone call. The conversation included:
    a. General welcome and introduction
    b. Outline of the call
    c. Questions about my interest, my background, skillsets. General interview like questions
    d. Time for me to ask a few questions. Not a lot of time so asked 2 questions.
    e. Discuss briefly next steps.
    All very standard stuff. I liked that the person I had made it more of a conversation. He took time at moments to write notes

4. It is encouraged to attend webinars they set up based on your background- business, education, technology, etc... You get to listen to 2 alums talk about their experience before, during and after the program. Its definitely worth attending. You also have the ability to follow up with the EP host or staff about any questions that were not answered because of the limited webinar time. I found them very informative.

5. IF accepted then a group interview is scheduled. It could be in a city you are at or you may have to travel to another city where they have presence or staff.

6. IF accepted then you receive an offer and the placement process begins. On this site there seems to be a lot of comments about placement issues. I have not gotten this far so I dont know what that will be like but hopefully as the organization grows the kinks will be worked out. For me, if they dont find a placement, hopefully i can try to find my own placement and then turn that into a fellowship. I think one person commented on this process.

Thanks and good luck! Seems like a great opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Why am I interested in the Education sector and why EP?   Answer Question

Career Track Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in February 2016.

Interview

Every step in the whole process happened after the company timelines said it would. Phone interviews were scheduled with a clunky online tool, and no one called the first time I had one scheduled. I did not receive notification or proactive apology about this and had to initiate followup for next steps. For a position called "career track," I would expect an interview to be a conversation about my past work with someone who could understand it, not a series of rote questions. Interviewer was an alumnus who had not participated in the career track so could not really answer any questions about it.

Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

First, there is an online application. After this step, there is a basic phone interview with a former Education Pioneers Fellow. This usually lasts 30 minutes. Last, there is a group interview with other EP applicants. You are given a task to complete as a group.

Phone interview with former Education Pioneers Fellow
    3. Group interview with other EP Fellows

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process included several components: independent application with essay submission, phone interview, and a group interview day with optional mixer afterward. The process was lengthy and the rationale behind moving forward or being rejected was, at times, opaque.

Interview Questions

• The interview day included a group assignment in which groups made a collective decision about a transformation school within a fictional neighborhood. Groups presented to another group and answered questions.   1 Answer