Education Pioneers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Education Pioneers Interview Questions

Updated Apr 4, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial steps include submitting an online application and completing a data exercise. If selected, you'll participate in a phone interview and then if you advance to the final round, it will be a group interview. If given an offer, you move to the placement process where they try to match you with a partner organization and project.

Interview Questions

• When is a time you've dealt with an ambiguous situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online. They followed up in a few days with an excel test. The test was on basic skills of organizing data in a file that they sent and then writing short answers to questions about what the data suggested, what recommendations you could make, etc. I found the excel test pretty straightforward but I would suggest brushing up on excel skills like making tables, graphs, etc. I also found that the excel test took me longer than the 90 minutes they referenced despite the fact that I've spent a lot of time on excel for work over the past 5 years. I don't know if perhaps I spent too long on answering the short answer questions or something else. Afterward, they contacted me to schedule a phone interview, which I scheduled online.

Summer Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

The process involved an online assessment, followed by a telephone behavioral interview, followed by an in person group interview. The interview process was pretty intensive - but enjoyable. The in person group interview was followed by a reception for the interviewees. I was offered a fellowship but that's where the transparency about the process ended. I accepted the offer but was not placed with a partnering organization - EP kept me hanging for 2.5 months. Thankfully I kept interviewing and had other options - beware if your graduate program requires an internship, EP rarely guarantees a placement. So, accept their offer but keep looking - I declined a paid position overseas for the opportunity to consult with a partner, but that never happened! Again, it could be a great organization but they lack transparency when it comes to their process - pressuring you into signing a 'contract' and scaring you that if you break it they'll report you to your school. Their tactics need to change - winning people through fear and pressure often doesn't work!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were faced with a difficult work relationship, how were you able to resolve it? The in person group interview was problem solving and a case study and team presentation.   Answer Question

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Newark, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

After submitting the initial application, then getting invited to fill out a timed (75 minutes) response to a business case (how would you lower teacher turnover), I was invited to schedule a phone interview with one of the EP alumni. The phone interviewer seemed a little wooden in reading the questions and there were a few awkward moments of silence after I answered some questions as if I was expected to say more - the problem with phone interviews is you don't have the visible cues that help in the communication process. I did get to ask questions at the end but didn't feel I really connected and some of her answers sounded very boilerplate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Oakland, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

There was a detailed online application, optional reception, several hours long Excel test, phone screen, and a several hours long in-person group interview (individual exercise, presentation, group exercise, presentation). This was followed by a 2h break and a 'mandatory reception.' THEN I was accepted into the placement process, and you have to re-do your resume and wait for a placement suggestion so you can go for an interview with an organization where you might actually work!

I'm surprised there were no blood tests or tough mudder races.

So yes, it was a long process, especially if you consider that this is for a 10 month fellowship that pays $45k. I'm 90 days in and haven't received a placement suggestion yet. The upside of all of this is that I learned a ton about education reform and met many current fellows, all of whom were generous in talking about their experience and giving advice.

I believe that EP is a great opportunity for the right people--that is, someone a few years out of college who really wants to get into data-related education reform work and who doesn't have another avenue to do so.

Interview Questions

• What was one time when you had a difficult interpersonal situation at work, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in April 2015.

Interview

First round interview, with a EP alumnus, for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. I was contacted via email by EP after submiting the application to proceed to the interview. I was given time slots to pick the actual interview time. There were plenty to choose from, morning through evening. The interviewer was nice and friendly. The interviewer sounded like reading off of a list of questions.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

In depth process with multiple stages. Application, excel task, phone interview, in-person group interview. They are very upfront about the whole process and the conditional offer you will receive on being accepted. I accepted the conditional offer and was very excited and hopeful for a placement.

The placement process is where the whole system breaks down. Communication with my coordinator was very limited. I would reach out to him and it would take him weeks to respond to me. He would tell me about potential placements and then I would never received any sort of follow-up from him or the organizations. I did not interview with a single organization. While it was understood that the offer was conditional I expected education pioneers do a better job with the placement process. It seemed like they really weren't interested in placing me at all.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Greensboro, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

I participated in a phone interview and was then asked to complete an assignment to test my proofreading skills. During the phone interview I was asked a series of questions about myself, what I understood about the organization and my passion for Education reform.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions such as "What kinds of experiences have allowed you to sharpen your writing and proofreading skills?" "Name a time you had to compromise a deadline due to a heavy work load. How did you handle this workload?"   1 Answer

Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Oakland, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

A very thorough process which started with on-line application followed by a timed on-line critical thinking exam. After this there was a short (30 minute) 1:1 face-to-face interview with an EP rep, and then a longer phone interview, finally a longer group interview / interaction.

The Group Interview takes place in multiple cities around the country and takes 1/2 day. The purpose of this group interview (my opinion) is to understand how you interact in a team setting, get a better view of your critical thinking, analytical and reasoning skills and

At the end of your Group Interview EP reviewers will ask the group questions about their recommendations and potential shortcomings/challenges.

Everyone I dealt with was very professional, knowledgeable and helpful. The process is extremely well organized and managed like clock work. I was also very impressed with the other candidates in terms of intellect and a teamwork/check-your-ego-at-the-door attitude which would make them great people to work with.

Interview Questions

• Group interview asked us to review a case study and prepare and deliver a group presentation providing recommendations, explanation of the reasoning behind our recommendations and potential implementation problems, resource requirements etc.

At the end of your group's presentation you are asked questions to get a feeling for how you handle yourself

All this was done under the review of EP personnel and under a very strict time limit.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Upon acceptance into the Fellowship program they begin the process of actually placing you with a partner organization.

Fellowships are all at fixed rate for the term (10 weeks or 1 year). I don't know if there is any movement in this for some of the more expensive cities.

Analyst Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for the Analyst Fellowship in February and soon after received an critical thinking assignment. This exercise was a data analysis task using Excel. I recommend reviewing some concepts in Excel beforehand, otherwise, the exercise required mostly common sense mixed with some technical/statistical ability. About a month later, I received an invitation for a phone interview, which I scheduled online. The interview was conducted by an Education Pioneers alumni. She was very pleasant, but a little robotic as the questions were obviously pre-defined and structured to achieve consistency in the interviews. At this point, I am waiting to hear about the group interview, and they are very clear about the timeline of the notification, with all dates posted on their website.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you worked with a difficult person and how did you handle it?   Answer Question