Education Pioneers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Education Pioneers Interview Questions

Updated May 14, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Oakland, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

A very thorough process which started with on-line application followed by a timed on-line critical thinking exam. After this there was a short (30 minute) 1:1 face-to-face interview with an EP rep, and then a longer phone interview, finally a longer group interview / interaction.

The Group Interview takes place in multiple cities around the country and takes 1/2 day. The purpose of this group interview (my opinion) is to understand how you interact in a team setting, get a better view of your critical thinking, analytical and reasoning skills and

At the end of your Group Interview EP reviewers will ask the group questions about their recommendations and potential shortcomings/challenges.

Everyone I dealt with was very professional, knowledgeable and helpful. The process is extremely well organized and managed like clock work. I was also very impressed with the other candidates in terms of intellect and a teamwork/check-your-ego-at-the-door attitude which would make them great people to work with.

Interview Questions

• Group interview asked us to review a case study and prepare and deliver a group presentation providing recommendations, explanation of the reasoning behind our recommendations and potential implementation problems, resource requirements etc.

At the end of your group's presentation you are asked questions to get a feeling for how you handle yourself

All this was done under the review of EP personnel and under a very strict time limit.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Upon acceptance into the Fellowship program they begin the process of actually placing you with a partner organization.

Fellowships are all at fixed rate for the term (10 weeks or 1 year). I don't know if there is any movement in this for some of the more expensive cities.

Analyst Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for the Analyst Fellowship in February and soon after received an critical thinking assignment. This exercise was a data analysis task using Excel. I recommend reviewing some concepts in Excel beforehand, otherwise, the exercise required mostly common sense mixed with some technical/statistical ability. About a month later, I received an invitation for a phone interview, which I scheduled online. The interview was conducted by an Education Pioneers alumni. She was very pleasant, but a little robotic as the questions were obviously pre-defined and structured to achieve consistency in the interviews. At this point, I am waiting to hear about the group interview, and they are very clear about the timeline of the notification, with all dates posted on their website.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you worked with a difficult person and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Analyst Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (New Orleans, LA) in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted an online application, did a quantitative excercise and had a phone interview. My phone interview consisted of basic behavioral questions and a scenario. I also got the chance to ask questions from an alum.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you worked with someone who had a different work style?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Begins with an online application and critical thinking exercise. If you're accepted for the next round you'll have a ~30 minute phone interview with an EP alum. After that you will potentially get an offer for the in-person group interview day. This is a two hour event where you'll work with a team on a hypothetical problem for a local school district. If they're still interested after that you may receive an offer from EP, but you'll then have to wait to hear about a placement. I have accepted a conditional offer, but will still need to interview with my placement company.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working in education reform?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

1. Online application: basic information followed by online test for devising a strategy plan for a troublesome school.
    2. phone interview: standard experience and behavioral questions
    3. group interview: group of 4-5 people.
    ----Now EP decides whether they hire you or not, could be 10 month or 1 year long placement---
    4. placement with actual employer interviews (haven't happened)

Interview Questions

• During phone interview, they presented a case where one school could not find good teachers and asked about how you were going to solve it if you were hired as a consultant.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The conditional offer is tricky, but they are very helpful in telling you what to expect.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I completed an online application and phone screen for the fellowship. Shortly thereafter, I was selected to a group interview day. We worked in a small team and solved a business case in about 1 hour using pre reading material. An observer took notes on our presentation. I found out about 3 weeks later that I'd received a regional offer.

Program Interview

Interview

I followed up several times before I got a response, emailing the office that I was applying for went a long way. The HR is national but if they hear from the local office, it helps. The process was standard, it started with an initial screening call with HR, call with prospective manager. Questions about working style, project and event management.

Interview Questions

• They will ask questions about the values, define and prioritize   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview

I am just in the 2nd stage but for the critical thinking activity I was asked how I would reduce teacher turnover in a school given a list of data and numbers. I was also asked why I want to work in the education sector. This was easy given my background as a teacher.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

The initial application was a submission of resume and short answer action plan in response to a public school scenario.

The phone interview was pretty low key and short, normal interview questions about why you are interested and career goals.

Group day interview involved splitting into 5-6 person groups and working as a consulting team to help select a charter school company to take over a school, followed by a group presentation on the selection process and criteria.

I was selected as a summer fellow, although after 2 months they said they didn't receive enough projects from partners and couldn't place me. This was frustrating because they also told us not to pursue other job opportunities once we were selected, though at the same time they said they couldn't guarantee placement. I spoke to multiple people who this happened to, so they need to work on their selection process.

Interview Questions

• The one critical question was near the end of the phone interview when they asked what questions you would ask if you're working on a project with a superintendent looking to implement a turn-around school.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The application process is lengthy and pretty much what others have described. It's long, detailed, and high-pressure.

After accepting a conditional offer in mid-February, I didn't hear anything from my regional program director for over 2 months. After about 3 months, I went on one interview with a potential match. When that didn't work out, EP stopped contacting me. I'm incredibly disappointed. It's hard to place trust in a person who I've never met, and who sounds like she can't wait to get off the phone with me whenever we do talk, to determine the fate of my placement. Ultimately, I'm glad that continued to look elsewhere because EP seemed to have no interest in actually placing me.

Interview Questions

Education Pioneers Response

Jun 19, 2015 – Chief Administrative Officer

Hello, Thank you for participating in our placement process. We are sorry that we were unable to find the right match for you and that you are frustrated with your experience. We always want ... More