Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2017

3.3

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

Applied for position. A few days later had an email requesting a phone screening. Phone screen was very simple. Lasted about 20 minutes. I was only asked 3 questions. STAR type questions. Immediately received an email asking to move towards application part of process. Filled that out and next day was asked to do a face to face with a local FA. I'm currently at this step in the process

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Edward Jones

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

Took about two months this is the interview process:

1. I applied to the job online
    2. phone screening with HQ recruiter
    3. Face to Face interview with a local FA advisor
    4. Given a business plan
    5. Phone interview with regional manager
    6. Virtual assessment : it was like a day in a life of a FA
    7. Within 48 hours of your virtual assessment you find out if you got the job!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Got an email to schedule a phone interview in about two days. This was the first phone screening stage. The overall interview experience was great and you can ask questions in the end.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear us and why do you want to work in Edward Jones?
      Are you currently have any offer from other companies?
      What is your long-term career plan?
      Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

I made it through every single step.. if you want to go through a very difficult, extreme preperation for each step, and "bend your back for them" interview process.. then by all means go ahead and apply to EJ. I applied a whole 2 months ago, and just made it to the last step, "a day in the life" simulation, for them to contact me back a week later saying that I didn't get it because the simulation part wasn't the best... but at the end of the day, we would need training on this part of the job anyway! Mind you, I busted my behind off for every single step and took the necessary routes to succeed and provide them with answers they specifically look for. I'm not going to say that this was a waste of time (although I really want to) just because I didn't get it. If I didn't believe that everything happens for a reason then this review would be so much worse. Regarding the steps, there was an online apllication I filled out, then I was contacted by HR to schedule a phone screening through an email they sent me. After the phone screening you have to fill out a long application regarding work history etc. Then you'll have to schedule a face to face interview. Assuming you pass this step, you have to complete a business plan which is followed up with another phone screening about your business plan. They will try to critique it, but go to nearby FA's for help. Lastly, if you pass this step, you will schedule a "day in the life" simulation, which will require 4-5 hours of your time.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Type:

"Give me a time when..."
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fort Riley, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Fort Riley, KS).

Interview

I inquired at one of those Home/boat shows and received an invitation to a dinner and met with a local FA. I submitted my resume online the following week and received an email to do a phone interview. The phone interview went well and I moved on to the next step of filling out part 2 of the online application followed by a face to face interview with a senior financial advisor in my area. The FA was very friendly and very helpful. It took about a week to hear from them again and I was notified I was moving onto the next step and had one week to develop my business plan. The business plan is in the format they provide and submit online. I am currently on this step and have an appointment to meet with an FA to ensure my business plan is good to go before I submit. The next step would be a phone interview to discuss the business plan, followed by a virtual "day in the life" exercise.

Interview Questions

• Mostly "tell me a time when...." type questions. I struggle with rooting my own horn so these were difficult for me. Project enthusiasm and be genuine and you can't go wrong. They will help you get to the point with the question and are very personable.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, they just offer you a flat salary to begin with.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Edward Jones in December 2016.

Interview

She asked a few STAR questions and then asked if I had questions. I inquired if they require door-to-door sales in residential areas and she said yes it was part of the job. I declined to finish the rest of the interview.

Interview Questions

• She asked STAR Questions that require situation, task, action and result.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

This is a long process. The 10 steps on their web site lay out the process. You should meet with local agents in your area to help work through the process.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Just finished the interview process a week ago and it took a total of 6 weeks. Not sure why people complain so much, they are very transparent about their process so if you do not have the time or patience then it is not something to consider.

First I had a phone interview that lasted about 45 minutes. It was a fairly standard interview with some behavioral questions and why you are interested in Edward Jones.

Next, you fill out an application and they start running a background check while you go for an in-person interview with a current FA. The one I met with was really nice and there are some more behavioral and situational questions. Also, she describes what it is to be a FA so you can see if you're actually interested. Make sure you ask questions so they can see your interest!

Next I was invited to complete a business plan. They provide you with a template which helps but it is a little challenging because they ask some questions that might be difficult if you don't have a background in finance (which I did not). Absolutely make sure you go visit with a local FA and seek help because they are extremely helpful!

I then had another phone interview which lasted about an hour. We discussed my interest in Edward Jones, a few more behavioral questions, and my business plan. At this point, just keep doing what you've been doing and keep saying what you've been saying. You have made it past two interviews and this should not be a step in which you fail.

Finally, I was invited to participate in the "day in the life" simulation. I had read so many reviews about Edward Jones prior to this and read how this was very difficult. Thus, I prepared A LOT. They do give you materials beforehand and all I can say is really really study it and plan how you are going to approach the simulation. Keep calm and stay focused. They are trying to rattle you here and see how you respond to difficult circumstances. No matter what they say, BE NICE! I have absolutely ZERO sales experience, and zero work experience for that matter, but I prepared for it the best that I could and it ended up working out. I really thought I had failed and I was very down when I finished but two hours later I got the call that I was chosen and was very excited!

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

I applied online and then had a resume screening. After that I had a brief phone interview. It was recommended to talk to some of the other financial advisors in the area so I did that to prepare for an in person interview. If you pass the in person interview you have to create a business plan, which you don't know how to fill out unless you seek guidance from another financial advisor. Your business plan is then critiqued by another phone interview. If you pass that, you have a 4 hour "day in the life" exercise with actors that will call you.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Houston, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

It was a very long process since it takes multiple interviews. They do this because they want to make sure they invest in someone who will stick with the company. Overall they helped a lot getting ready for the interviews and were very nice individuals

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to overcome a significant setback   Answer Question
Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview Name a time you had to overcome an obstacle.
Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview Most of the questions are situational questions.
Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview Phoenix, AZ How did you hear us and why do you want to work in Edward Jones? Are you currently have any offer from other companies? What is your long-term career plan?
Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview Behavioral Type: "Give me a time when..."
Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview Fort Riley, KS Mostly "tell me a time when...." type questions. I struggle with rooting my own horn so these were difficult for me. Project enthusiasm and be genuine and you can't go wrong. They will help you get to the point with the question and are very personable.
Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview She asked STAR Questions that require situation, task, action and result.
Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview Los Angeles, CA Why Edward Jones?
Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview Why do you want to work for Edward Jones
Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview Houston, TX Tell me a time when you had to overcome a significant setback