Edward Jones Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Edward Jones Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) Interview Questions

Updated Jan 30, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Boca Raton, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

This is an incredibly long and thorough interview process. First, you apply online. Then you are invited to do a phone screen, in which they ask you some basic info about yourself, why Edward Jones, why do you want to be an advisor, etc. This call takes around 45 min and if you do well, you are then invited for a face to face interview with an advisor located in the area you applied for. The advisor will ask you some situational questions, but it's more to gauge your personality. My interview lasted one hour. If the advisor chooses to move you along, you will then have to complete a business plan within one week. My best advice is do not hesitate to reach out to any FAs you know when completing it (including the one who interviewed you). A couple FAs from the area I applied to called me to introduce themselves when I was completing my business plan; establish a connection with them and ask for their help! While you are completing the business plan, EJ will be doing a background check, which could end the interview process if you don't pass. This can take a long time to complete (it took almost a month for mine to be completed and I don't have a record). Once you pass the background check, you will move on to the next step, which is another phone interview. This time it's with a talent acquisition manager in the area and it will last about 90 minutes. They will ask you more of the same questions you've already heard, but will also review your business plan with you as well as what they will expect of you should you be hired. If you pass this interview, you will be invited to take the assessment. It's designed to be like a "day in the life," but whatever you do, don't underestimate it. It is really hard. Study what they send you prepare for it. I have a background in financial services and sales, and I thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad- it was still very difficult. EJ will most likely call you a few hours after your exam to let you know if you passed or not. If you pass, you are given an offer of employment.

Few notes about the overall experience:
1. Everyone wants you to do well during the interview process. I always felt very supported each step of the way and never like they were trying to get rid of me somehow.
2. Everyone is very personable. While they are pretty frank about what to expect with your career, they don't go out of their way to scare you off. I interviewed with 2 other companies (Morgan Stanley and Bank of America) for the same position and felt like I was dealing with robots who hated their lives and had nothing positive to say about the job. I ended up going with EJ because the people I spoke to seem to genuinely love their jobs and working for EJ.
3. EJ doesn't really care about who you know with big money. This was a huge differentiating factor between EJ and other companies I was interviewing with. They are more preoccupied with your personality and whether they feel it would be a good fit for Jones' model than whether or not you're bringing big money to them right off the bat. I don't have many very wealthy contacts and felt as though other companies were disapproving of me because of it.
4. It's not about what you know, it's about how willing you are to learn. Never once was I asked a question about finance, even though I have a background in it. They are assessing you for your personality and likability, not your finance knowledge. If you have limited work experience, it's okay. Just do a really good job explaining why you think you're a good fit.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Edward Jones

Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

My experience very closely reflected what has already been said on GD. The process takes a very long time. There was always a week minimum between each step in the process which was very frustrating at times.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2016.

Interview

After an initial phone interview that lasts about 30 minutes, they set you up to meet for an interview with an advisor in your area. They also have a local advisor reach out to answer questions before having an interview. After passing the interview, you create a business plan to submit online and wait to hear back with a decision. Too sales oriented.

Interview Questions

• Do a role play for a sale with a client   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Houston, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The hiring process for Edward Jones is very long, but comparable to other Financial Advisor hiring processes at rival investment firms. Even with an Employee referral, the start to finish (from applying) was two months so set those expectations if you plan on pursuing a career here.

The first interview was by phone with a Corporate Talent acquisition recruiter approximately 45 mins ~ 1 hour in length. This initial phone screen interview went smoothly and I was informed to complete a more thorough application which included a background check which encompassed 10 years of personal and employment history. The next step was a face to face interview with a seasoned Financial Advisor at a nearby branch (under 30 min commute). This face to face interview also went well, and I was given an assignment to complete a business plan in one week.

To write a successful EJ business plan, I reached out to other local Edward Jones Financial Advisors for assistance, who were more than willing to help. I submitted my plan, and the following week, I received another phone interview which also served was a verbal review of the submitted business plan. I'm glad that I received the help, because the business plan review went well, and I was invited to the take the Financial Advisor (FA) Assessment. The FA Assessment is the last step before receiving an offer.

All of the study materials for this FA assessment are provided to the candidate in advance, and the Assessment itself takes around 3-1/2 ~ 4 hours. Provided you do well on the FA Assessment, they will not have you wait much longer for the formal offer. In my case, the base salary was significantly lower than what I was accustomed to making, so I refused. Certainly, provided I hit all of my goals, I'll do fine, but building a book of business takes time, and I was not willing to take that deep of a financial hit.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company?   Answer Question
    • What attracted you to the financial services industry?   Answer Question
    • How does your previous experience relate to this career path?   Answer Question
    • You have a client that is concerned about short term losses in their portfolio and considering withdrawing their funds, how do you handle this situation?   Answer Question

The base salary was much lower than I've been accustomed to making for the past several years. Despite a pathway for future financial growth potential (provided you hit all of their respective metrics/timeline), I did not see it as financially viable for me in the short term. Growing a book of business takes time, and while I'd do my best to secure clients and increase profitability, that base is what I'd have to live off of. I ended up taking an offer with another company.

Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

The 10 step interview process is clearly outlined on the company website. You will speak with several people from the home office to advisors in the field. I recommend calling an advisor in your home town and asking if they can sit down with you before you begin the process.

Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

This program is used in order to train recent college graduates to be FAs in various parts of the country. The interview is to make sure you're a good fit for the FA position, but also to make sure you understand what the role entails.

Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

Very long and thorough interview process. 10 steps, all of which are targeting a specific purpose from the candidate. Phone interview with recruiter, phone interview with regional leader, one-on-one interview with an existing EJ advisor, business plans, and a 4 hour day-in-the-life online simulation were some of the parts of the interview process. Everyone I spoke with was extremely professional and nice, always willing to help you out and guide you in the right direction. I read somewhere that EJ isn't interviewing you for your competencies as much as they are interviewing you for your personality traits... it takes specific qualities to be a successful advisor and they try very hard to bring on board only the candidates they feel will bring success to the company and themselves.

Very positive feedback from employees! People seem to genuinely enjoy working with EJ and have nothing but great things to say! I was offered a position in their FACD program and cannot wait to embark on my journey.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will make you a successful advisor with Edward Jones?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation - Strict compensation agreements. Offer is fair in my opinion.

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Birmingham, AL) in March 2016.

Interview

Hard and long. One of the most competitive programs in the country.

Phone Screen - Pretty easy
    Face to Face - The local FA decides if you continue or not
    Phone Interview - Ask you tons of situation based questions
    Submit Business Plan - You better go out and seek help from local FA's
    Day in the life Assessment - VERY DIFFICULT

Interview Questions

• Do you understand this is the hardest 3 years of any career you could have chosen?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Saint Louis, MO) in February 2016.

Interview

Long process, 9 or 10 steps. Currently about to do the "Day in the life" assessment. First actual interview was a phone screen, then a 1 on 1 interview, then you do a Business plan activity, then another phone interview, then the "Day in the life" assessment, then they decide on you. Overall great interview experience as it was my first real interview. Haven't gotten to the offer part yet.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had a challenge and how did you deal with it?

Tell me about a time that you went above and beyond the call of duty?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones (San Diego, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Long process… It took me about 2 months. Interviews are actually easy and the hiring managers are really friendly. Unfortunately, the last step is a "Virtual Day in Work" assignment. It's a good idea but a poor execution. They leave it to a vendor who reads a script to you.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you are prepared for a commission based career   Answer Question