Edward Jones Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Edward Jones Interview Questions

Updated Feb 14, 2017

3.2

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

2 month process. Because Human Resources was extremely short staffed, the process took two months. The telephone interview was routine, followed by an online IQ and personality test. These were also routine. Some questions seemed silly and not suited to today's market.

Branch Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Tempe, AZ).

Interview

The HR staff that set up the interviews, and did the screening were very pleasant and professional. It made me want to work there.

After two HR calls, there was a panel conference call. One interviewer was informative, the other antagonistic. Both were professional, but they actually were late on the call and then they lost the connection.

The flew me to Tempe for the final interview. I met with one woman and was on a conference call with another. They stumped me on a question which didn't really apply to my past experience. I didn't feel like I impressed them, but I want impressed either.

Interview Questions

• If you don't get this position, what will you do?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had to make an immediate decision when your supervisor wasn't there.   Answer Question

BOA Branch Office Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

I went through the standard on-line application process, then the phone interview. They liked me, so I was asked to do the lengthy online portion. Did that, they emailed me with a couple of questions about the information I submitted, then I received another email stating that they liked me even more, and they were forwarding my file to the recruiter who MIGHT be contacting me for an in-person interview with the Financial Advisor. (Keep in mind, the process thus far has taken about a month). After 10 days, I emailed them to let them know that I still had not been contacted for the next step. They apologized, and said they would look into it. I didn't hear from them again for 3 weeks. It was then that I received an email stating they would be moving forward with another candidate. Not a problem. The issue I have is that this process took WAY too long.

Interview Questions

• The typical "Tell me about a difficult situation at your last job, and how you handled it ".   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Houston, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The hiring process for Edward Jones is very long, but comparable to other Financial Advisor hiring processes at rival investment firms. Even with an Employee referral, the start to finish (from applying) was two months so set those expectations if you plan on pursuing a career here.

The first interview was by phone with a Corporate Talent acquisition recruiter approximately 45 mins ~ 1 hour in length. This initial phone screen interview went smoothly and I was informed to complete a more thorough application which included a background check which encompassed 10 years of personal and employment history. The next step was a face to face interview with a seasoned Financial Advisor at a nearby branch (under 30 min commute). This face to face interview also went well, and I was given an assignment to complete a business plan in one week.

To write a successful EJ business plan, I reached out to other local Edward Jones Financial Advisors for assistance, who were more than willing to help. I submitted my plan, and the following week, I received another phone interview which also served was a verbal review of the submitted business plan. I'm glad that I received the help, because the business plan review went well, and I was invited to the take the Financial Advisor (FA) Assessment. The FA Assessment is the last step before receiving an offer.

All of the study materials for this FA assessment are provided to the candidate in advance, and the Assessment itself takes around 3-1/2 ~ 4 hours. Provided you do well on the FA Assessment, they will not have you wait much longer for the formal offer. In my case, the base salary was significantly lower than what I was accustomed to making, so I refused. Certainly, provided I hit all of my goals, I'll do fine, but building a book of business takes time, and I was not willing to take that deep of a financial hit.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company?   Answer Question
    • What attracted you to the financial services industry?   Answer Question
    • How does your previous experience relate to this career path?   Answer Question
    • You have a client that is concerned about short term losses in their portfolio and considering withdrawing their funds, how do you handle this situation?   Answer Question

The base salary was much lower than I've been accustomed to making for the past several years. Despite a pathway for future financial growth potential (provided you hit all of their respective metrics/timeline), I did not see it as financially viable for me in the short term. Growing a book of business takes time, and while I'd do my best to secure clients and increase profitability, that base is what I'd have to live off of. I ended up taking an offer with another company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Kalamazoo, MI) in August 2016.

Interview

I sent my resume and filled out a brief interest form. I was contacted via email to schedule a phone screening. I passed the phone screen and had a face-to-face interview. The financial advisor who did the interview was not intimidating, but that probably varies from office to office. I backed out at that point.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Edward Jones in August 2016.

Interview

All basic questions. Said the part time position I was applying for could go up to 40 hrs a week. Also, that the position fields 60-80 phone calls a day. They told me they would email me a follow up to discuss next steps. Received an email 3 hours later saying they were going a different direction.

Financial Analyst (Trainee) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Casual meeting with the financial advisor in charge of the branch. I know him because I already invest with this company so I just set an appointment to meet one on one. He had me come into his office and we talked about life a little and talked about my current job experience.

Interview Questions

• Education background questions. Social skills & communications questions. Basic industry knowledge questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Folsom, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very long and challenging. There is a 10 step hiring process that every financial advisor candidate needs to go through. This process is outlined on their website and includes 2 phone interviews, an in person interview with an FA, a business plan and "day in the life". It took a little over 2 months from sending my application in to getting a job offer. The interviews are pretty standard, basic behavioral questions, and about your choice to become a financial advisor. The Edward Jones community is like a family, and I was able to talk to 3 financial advisors during the hiring process and they help me with my business plan and prepare for various parts of the 10 step process. My advise is if they offer you help then take it. The FA's want to see you succeed, and will help you get the job if they can.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

The interview process takes about 2-3 months until an offer will be presented...if you make it that far that is. Starts off pretty standard, online information followed by recruiter. Next is another conversation but a lot more in depth. They search here for leadership, character, personality etc. Follow this up with a 1 on 1 with an advisor and he/she will tell you all you want to know plus ask you questions too. It finishes up with a day in the life role play. I've read a lot of people's comments saying it was challenging or tough. If you have done sales B2B it's pretty spot on. It's pretty much all NO's. So just play the game keep calling asking good questions make them want to say yes but know it's a game they can't and move on. But remember they say NO because that's the reality of sales. It's a beast and not for the weak minded so stay positive and keep the effort going, the tide does turn. Finally, if you do well an offer is presented with standard screening questions, drug test etc. Now comes studying for 10 weeks door knocking for 6 and 7 months later your ready to really get going!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiations weren't happening. Jones will not overpay for you. They will give you some money so you won't starve but want to see your in it to win it and may help you out some after that.

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

First a phone screen, then background check. Interview with financial adviser. Then, HR will call you after speaking to the financial adviser who will want request to bring you in at just above starting salary, regardless of any good credentials you have. HR will tell you about your benefits and then you haggle with salary which they do not come up on.