Edward Jones Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Edward Jones Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Fort Riley, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Fort Riley, KS).

Interview

I inquired at one of those Home/boat shows and received an invitation to a dinner and met with a local FA. I submitted my resume online the following week and received an email to do a phone interview. The phone interview went well and I moved on to the next step of filling out part 2 of the online application followed by a face to face interview with a senior financial advisor in my area. The FA was very friendly and very helpful. It took about a week to hear from them again and I was notified I was moving onto the next step and had one week to develop my business plan. The business plan is in the format they provide and submit online. I am currently on this step and have an appointment to meet with an FA to ensure my business plan is good to go before I submit. The next step would be a phone interview to discuss the business plan, followed by a virtual "day in the life" exercise.

Interview Questions

• Mostly "tell me a time when...." type questions. I struggle with rooting my own horn so these were difficult for me. Project enthusiasm and be genuine and you can't go wrong. They will help you get to the point with the question and are very personable.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, they just offer you a flat salary to begin with.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Just finished the interview process a week ago and it took a total of 6 weeks. Not sure why people complain so much, they are very transparent about their process so if you do not have the time or patience then it is not something to consider.

First I had a phone interview that lasted about 45 minutes. It was a fairly standard interview with some behavioral questions and why you are interested in Edward Jones.

Next, you fill out an application and they start running a background check while you go for an in-person interview with a current FA. The one I met with was really nice and there are some more behavioral and situational questions. Also, she describes what it is to be a FA so you can see if you're actually interested. Make sure you ask questions so they can see your interest!

Next I was invited to complete a business plan. They provide you with a template which helps but it is a little challenging because they ask some questions that might be difficult if you don't have a background in finance (which I did not). Absolutely make sure you go visit with a local FA and seek help because they are extremely helpful!

I then had another phone interview which lasted about an hour. We discussed my interest in Edward Jones, a few more behavioral questions, and my business plan. At this point, just keep doing what you've been doing and keep saying what you've been saying. You have made it past two interviews and this should not be a step in which you fail.

Finally, I was invited to participate in the "day in the life" simulation. I had read so many reviews about Edward Jones prior to this and read how this was very difficult. Thus, I prepared A LOT. They do give you materials beforehand and all I can say is really really study it and plan how you are going to approach the simulation. Keep calm and stay focused. They are trying to rattle you here and see how you respond to difficult circumstances. No matter what they say, BE NICE! I have absolutely ZERO sales experience, and zero work experience for that matter, but I prepared for it the best that I could and it ended up working out. I really thought I had failed and I was very down when I finished but two hours later I got the call that I was chosen and was very excited!

BOA Branch Office Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hattiesburg, MS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Hattiesburg, MS) in December 2016.

Interview

Long and drawn out interview process. Initial application is only to screen applicants. You have to be invited to formally apply after a detailed screening interview. The screening agency will ask if you are willing to transfer all of your investments to the firm. Once you are sent the formal application, the directions instruct you to have copies of your W-2s from the last 10 years, however you do not have to provide copies to them. I was not happy with this request. With this application you must consent to a credit and FBI background check. Only after passing through these processes are you allowed to actually interview with the Financial Advisor. This interview is nearly the same questions as the first interview. It took one month to get to that point. Then I was told it would be another month before a decision was made. Two months later I have not been contacted or advised that the position is filled. It still shows open on the online portal.

Interview Questions

• Tell of a time where you took care of a customer who was upset. How did you handle it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

FACD Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones (New York, NY).

Interview

Very long process to weed out those who are not truly serious about the opportunity. First a phone interview, then an in-person interview, then constructing a business plan, ending with a "day in the life" simulation. Every part requires preparation and it is crucial that you know people in the company who can help prepare you for the last two steps

Interview Questions

• All the questions other than the obvious "why do you want to work for the company?" type questions will be behavioral. Answer with STAR format.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Edward Jones in December 2016.

Interview

She asked a few STAR questions and then asked if I had questions. I inquired if they require door-to-door sales in residential areas and she said yes it was part of the job. I declined to finish the rest of the interview.

Interview Questions

• She asked STAR Questions that require situation, task, action and result.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

This is a long process. The 10 steps on their web site lay out the process. You should meet with local agents in your area to help work through the process.

Financial Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Edward Jones in December 2016.

Interview

Great interview! Always professional and asked me questions that actually pertains to the job. If you are looking for a position in the financial field, this is a great place to start your career.

Event Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Saint Louis, MO) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position online and about ten days later I received a request for a phone screening. This was done promptly and efficiently with the standard types of questions. A couple days later I was invited in for an in-person interview. The interviewer was very polite, professional and on point. It simply turns out the position was likely not a good match for either party. That said, I would have no issues applying for another position there or recommending others do so.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you experienced a setback and how did you turn it into a positive?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

I applied online and then had a resume screening. After that I had a brief phone interview. It was recommended to talk to some of the other financial advisors in the area so I did that to prepare for an in person interview. If you pass the in person interview you have to create a business plan, which you don't know how to fill out unless you seek guidance from another financial advisor. Your business plan is then critiqued by another phone interview. If you pass that, you have a 4 hour "day in the life" exercise with actors that will call you.

BOA Branch Office Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Columbia, MO) in November 2016.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and received a phone call in about a week to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for the following Monday and the interviewer called just a couple of minutes after our scheduled time. The phone interview lasted approximately 35 minutes and I was asked a series of "describe a time when..." questions. After the phone interview was over, I was contacted the following week by my local financial advisor who set up a face to face interview. She also asked me a series of "describe a time" questions as well as incorporating some off-shoot questions regarding her firm in particular. This lasted approximately an hour. A week after my first face to face interview, I was scheduled for a second face to face interview. This interview was more brief; only 30 minutes and had fewer questions and we spoke more about personal goals and talked about my questions regarding firm operations. I received an offer the same afternoon.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you built a lasting relationship with a client. How did you build and maintain this relationship over time?   Answer Question