Eli Lilly and Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 10, 2018

3.1

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Eli Lilly and Company (Indianapolis, IN) in July 2009.

Interview

The organization will ask you questions in regards to your computer experience, troubleshooting, and customer service skills.

Interview Questions

• If you saw an elephant in the kitchen, what do you think that it's looking for?   4 Answers

Negotiation

Worked there via a contractor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Eli Lilly and Company (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied on the company website, and had to complete a screening questionnaire immediately afterwards. A week later, I was contacted by an outside recruiter to schedule a phone interview. Two days later, I completed the phone interview. It was a basic resume review and behavioral question interview. The recruiter gave me some constructive feedback for future interviews and said she would recommend me to the hiring manager who would be conducting interviews a few weeks later. A little over a week later, I received an email invitation to schedule a face-to-face interview for the following week. I arrived at the interview, and they were still finishing with another applicant. I was told to wait a few more minutes. Just then, a lunch delivery arrived, and I had to wait about 15 more minutes until they ate. It was a little unprofessional, as they could have allotted time for a break, but they ate quickly. I interviewed with the hiring manager, her boss and another Sales Rep, all in one interview. The hiring manager had a very cold, uninviting demeanor. The other two were professional, but not memorable. They didn't prepare their questions, or decide who would speak when, so the interview didn't have a very good flow. I was informed that the existing Sales Rep was leaving after a very long, successful career, and I got the sense that the hiring manager almost expected perfection from me to fill those shoes. Once I asked my questions, and said I had no further questions, all three interviewers stood up, and ushered me out the door before I had a chance to give a final closing pitch. I didn't ask for, but was also told that of the three, none of them had business cards to hand out(obviously wanting to avoid me from contacting them directly for a follow-up), and I should contact their Talent Acquisition Rep if I had any questions. I did not leave there with a positive impression of their management team. The following day, I received a call from their corporate office informing me that I was not selected to move to the next round of interviews. Overall, the process was efficient and they stuck to their follow-up timelines which was helpful.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a conflict with a co-worker at your level, or a supervisor? If so, how did you resolve it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Eli Lilly and Company (Albany, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Received a phone call stating it was just a quick screen, but it turned out to be about twenty minutes long. After the phone "screen", I received an email stating I passed the first round interview, and was invited to complete a second interview. The second one was very relaxed and conversational. Spoke about resume and past experience. Nothing too heavy.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Eli Lilly and Company in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online and passed the behavioral questionnaire. I got a call from a recruiter over a month later and had a phone interview. I had a f2f interview scheduled soon after. I interviewed with 2 district managers. I was called back two days later and invited to get dinner to discuss the position more; I met only with the district manager for the territory I was interviewing for at dinner. I was called back the next day and was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• typical STAR questions, what I knew about the medicines, what I knew about the district, what about myself makes me stand out from other candidates, etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Eli Lilly and Company (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Interview went great! The recruiter was so friendly and truly helped me get a better handle on what to expect for the interview. I interview with three people and they really made me feel comfortable during the interview process. They asked me questions mostly related to my current work experience. I got a call for a second interview and am super excited to move forward with this company.

Interview Questions

• What qualities are beneficial to have as a pharmaceutical representative?   1 Answer

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Eli Lilly and Company.

Interview

I applied for a position online and once submitted received an email to complete a screening questionnaire. Approximately a week later, I received an email to schedule a phone interview with a hiring recruiter. Phone interview was pretty basic, I was asked general questions about my resume and why I was interested in a position in pharmaceutical sales. At the completion of the phone interview, the recruiter said she was going to recommend that I move forward in the interview process. The recruiter did not have any information regarding when the in-person interview would be held, but told me I would be contacted within 2 weeks with details. Within the two weeks, I received an email from another individual to schedule my in-person interview. The interview was held at a local hotel and lasted approximately 1 hour. Panel interview consisted of three people, and while the questions could have been tough, it was nothing I didn’t expect because I had done research on potential questions that would be asked. Following my interview, the hiring manger stated that everyone would be notified within one week of their status. The following week, I received an email from the hiring manager that I was selected for a final interview and if I would be available to meet him at a local Panera to further discuss the position. The final interview lasted about an hour, and the hiring manger stated the purpose was to learn more about my thought process and see if I would fit in with the region’s team. During this interview, the hiring manager went into greater detail about the position and the company’s bonus structure. I was only asked a few questions and they were pretty tough. The following week I received a call from the hiring manger that he had went with one of the other finalists who had more experience in the industry.

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Eli Lilly and Company in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Next day was asked to take the assessment test. Following day was emailed directly by DM that she would like to set up a phone interview for beginning of the week. She also gave me a heads up that if I pass the phone round, I would be scheduled for a face to face interview the following day. Wow, so definitely felt like there was a sense of urgency on their part as to bringing a new hire on board. Was surprised though that there was no in house recruiter that would be conducting the interview, which is usually pretty typical. Prepped like crazy and felt good to go. Phone interview with DM was great - went really well. Lasted for 30 minutes and was pretty standard, question-wise. At the end of the conversation the DM said she would like to meet with me the following morning at 9am along with another DM for a face to face. Then I received an interview confirmation email from the in house recruiter, who now was in the game.

Was nervous and excited, as I really wanted this job. I am a seasoned sales rep with over 4 years of big pharma experience as well as 2 additional years of healthcare sales experience, so I felt fairly confident going into the interview. The interview lasted 90 minutes and it was the most grueling and bizarre interview I have ever experienced. Bombarded by questions from both DM's who seemed to have this weird, sarcastic, high-five-ing, good cop/bad cop routine going on. All STAR questions, which I didn't have too much trouble with, but they really tried to wear me down it seemed. When the interview was nearing the end and I began to close them - one of the DM's said to the other - did she just close? I think I missed it. Really insulting. Then the other DM tried to feed me lines and said - ask him if he will recommend you as the number one candidate, which I did, to humor her - and she said, Alright - she's coachable. I got a really strange vibe from the whole meeting. They did say that they would be making a decision at the end of the week when I asked about timeline and I would hear back from the in house recruiter in exactly a week. Neither DM would give me their business card, but I had one of the DM's email from her outreach, so sent her a thank you email and hand delivered a thank you to the hotel where the other DM was staying. Waited 2 weeks - nothing as to my status. Emailed recruiter and he said position was still open. Waited another 2 weeks - nothing. Emailed recruiter again - nothing. Emailed DM to follow up - nothing back. It has been over 5 weeks and I have heard nothing back. Really Eli Lilly??? Just plain rude. Just a simple email with a yes or a no, as promised, as a simple courtesy, is all that I am asking.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about something complicated that you recently have learned.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Eli Lilly and Company (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Phone screen from recruiter, Face to Face Interview with District Manager, Panel Interview with 3 managers, Final interview with Manager.

Interview Questions

• What is the most competitive thing you did last week that wasn't related to work?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Manager informed me that there was no room for negotiation, that the salary came from HR. Other reps commented that that wasn't their same experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Eli Lilly and Company (Saint Louis, MO) in February 2012.

Interview

Online assesment, phone interview and group panel interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Eli Lilly and Company (Columbus, OH) in May 2011.

Interview

Initially introduced to the opportunity through a friend who is a current Lilly employee. After applying online and passing their employee pre-screening questionnaire, I was given the opportunity for a phone interview. They were very punctual when it came for my phone interview and it lasted about 30 minutes. Most of the questions were situation-based i.e. Explain a time when you had to gain someone's trust. How did you do it? Overall, the interviewer was very nice and we had an opportunity at the end of the interview for more casual conversation. The most important thing is to be yourself and talk in a conversational manner as opposed to stiff question and answer. They're looking for personality here and if you can make connections with a stranger. About a week or so later I received an email explaining that the position I initially applied for was no longer available or had been filled but was encouraged to apply for other positions within the company.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to gain someone's trust and how did you do that?   Answer Question