Ellie Mae Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 11, 2017

2.8

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Interaction Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ellie Mae in January 2013.

Interview

After a pleasant, collegial interview with a very competent-seeming hiring manager, I was invited to a second interview with a larger team. I was given an exercise to prepare in advance (suggest revisions to a series of pages) and also show examples of projects where I had faced design challenges and how I addressed them. Both of these took some time to prepare.

Almost half the hour allotted went to set-up, unfortunately. The first projector we tried would not accept a signal; the second washed all color from the projected images. One participant was participating remotely, so time also went into getting hooked into their wireless and setting up GoToMeeting.

Meanwhile, it seems, senior managers invited were fuming. The mood was combative and critical from the start. One kept latching onto design details and expressing disdain for my explanations. It had been a while since I completed the complex projects shown, but I was expected to instantly remember the thinking that went into every detail. Criticism of design is of course an integral part of the process, but there are ways to go about design reviews that are constructive and not insulting, particularly when someone has been asked to prepare something on their own time. What they thought of my response to their design exercise (sent in advance) was never mentioned.

Soon after this grilling concluded, someone from HR showed up to say that the people I was supposed to talk to next had “been pulled into meetings” (this had been supposed to be a 3-hour process.)

The recruiters who got me into this, extremely solicitous beforehand, stopped communicating.

A thoroughly unpleasant waste of time.

Interview Questions

• "Why does the design not show how the company is protected from employees who misuse this application?"   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ellie Mae in July 2017.

Interview

Overall the interview process was nice. There are 3 rounds, first one includes the normal phone screening round in which they go through your resume and expectations etc.
    The second round was the technical one. They asked me lot of questions on both the front end and back end. Thats why I got confused about the position. The last round is an onsite interview, it contains 4 technical interviews.

Interview Questions

• The first technical round has questions like closure function in JS, Sevice Oriented Architecture etc.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Ellie Mae (Pleasanton, CA).

Interview

Hr call, phone interview (pair programming), onsite (3 technical 1 behavior)
    Expectations are very high and some of the interviewers are very rude. HR should work on diversifying the company. HR is very nice and helpful, but some interviewers ask questions that are not related to the job description or the type of work you'll do. Some interviewer felt as if they didn't want to hire anyone.

Interview Questions

• Questions heavily based on algorithms and data structures.   Answer Question

Training Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ellie Mae (Pleasanton, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

After submitting my cover letter and resume, I was contacted by the Talent Acquisition Manager at Ellie Mae for an initial interview. I passed the screening and then was passed on to the Training Manager for a phone interview. I was then forwarded on to the Vice President, Client Services manager for my third telephone interview. After that successful interview, I was asked to prepare a 15-10 minute training presentation on any topic so they could gage my competencies and training style(s). This was to happen in the next week or two. The following week I was asked to speak with yet another person for my fourth telephone interview. I spoke with the Vice President of Development for about 25 minutes. That following Friday I was asked to give my presentation via webinar and conference call. I delivered my presentation in the allotted time to four panelists who at the end of the presentation gave me glowing reviews.

I was then told that they would be making a decision and I would be contacted the early part of the following week. I never heard from them that week. So the Friday of that week, I left two voice mail messages with the manager and Vice President regarding following up with the interviews; I decided to make a call to Ellie Mae corporate (no live person ever answered the phone) instead I got a voice mail tree and found the Vice President's office number and called that, and she picked up the phone. I thanked her for giving me the time to interview and was doing my due diligence and following up, she preceded to thank me for following up, and assured me that they had not gotten their respective parties together to collaborate due to a conference that some of them were attending, and that as soon as they have come to a decision, they would contact me.

That following Monday evening around 9 P.M., I received an email thanking me for taking the time to interview with Ellie Mae for their Product Trainer position, and at this time, they have selected other candidates to move to the final selection process.

Since that interview, I have looked again on their website and they have updated the position as of (10/22/12) with the position still available.

Interview Questions

• I we hire you, will you be loyal to our company and not leave for another opportunity should it arrise?   1 Answer

Engineering Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Ellie Mae (Pleasanton, CA).

Interview

This position was for an Engineering Manager position. I spoke with the Sr. Director over the phone. This person wanted to make a technology move from a C# to a Java stack. He seemed to be interested in moving to an on-site.
    The on-site was a mixed bag. The first interviewer was a remote C# engineer. He was worried about how I would handle the team if Java were used for development and whether he would be fired. The second interviewer was from Product Management, was supposed to take me to lunch but suddenly decided to be remote. So this interview became very weird with this guy on the phone and me trying to eat and talk. This interviewer came from a related space to my current work domain and was trying to tell me what the competitors to my current company were when I clearly knew otherwise. Also this interviewer was new to the firm and couldn't answer my questions properly. I felt it quite unprofessional that HR did not tell me in advance about his non-availability. The next interviewer was a person from senior management. This guy spent half the interview examining his phone while he listened to my answers. He had already made up his mind. This interviewer then asked me to list the reasons for leaving each of my employers in the last 6 years ( 2 employers ). I found this quite rich coming from someone who had been at his previous job only 7 months before he came to Ellie Mae. You will see this when you look up his LinkedIn profile. The next interview was with an architect. This person was good to talk to and we talked about different API implementations. He seemed quite concerned that there were different factions aligned to Java and C# and wondered if the Java/AWS move would ever happen. This set off alarm bells in my brain. The last interviewer was again from senior management but on the UI side. This was a good interview - with lots of management questions asked. At the end of it all, it was pretty apparent that 2 of the interviewers were least interested - they probably had other people lined up. Was a good interview experience but I can't wait to see how their competitor Blend does.

Interview Questions

• Name the competitors to my current company   1 Answer

Problem Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ellie Mae.

Interview

Standard screen, in person interview with hiring manager and peer. Asked to come back for interview with peer and a VP. Never got a response even after 2 followup emails to the hiring manager and the HR recruiter.

Senior Virtualization Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ellie Mae (Pleasanton, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Consisted of two phone screens(IT Recruiter, and an Architect), and an in person panel interview from different areas of the Technology group that included the hiring manager.

The Good:
    The Technical panel interview went well, and I thought the company was a complete fit for the role based on the requirements. The teams were professional and upfront about the role and company, which was appreciated. The technical questions were well thought out.

The Bad:
    The communication from recruitment in the beginning was thorough and the team was upfront when the process started, however it seemed to be lacking and changed in each conversation in the end looking like a disorganized team.

Interview Questions

• Scenario based questions based on their current infrastructure and on what improvements i would recommend or change.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Phone interview with a recruiter followed by technical phone interview. Phone interview was to check expectations about salary and benefits. The technical interview was focused on resume and projects I worked on.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ellie Mae in February 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter, then a hiring manager. I was encouraged to follow up with the hiring manager with any questions, but they would not return my calls or emails. They do not have the common decency to even send you a rejection letter... your application sits "on file" for eternity. Encompass is buggy, unreliable software anyways.

Interview Questions

• Typical run of the mill stuff- interviewer was more interested in talking than listening.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Interview

Long, tedious, repetitive. Mediocre and disorganized. Full of aging second-raters looking to hire third-raters. Very "homogeneous". Every single interviewer. Didn't hear back from recruiter! What a waste. Avoid at all cost.

Interview Questions

• Describe some random general thing, so that I can see you're smarter than me.   Answer Question