Ellie Mae Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ellie Mae Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2017

3.2

Senior Interaction Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ellie Mae in January 2013.

Interview

After a pleasant, collegial interview with a very competent-seeming hiring manager, I was invited to a second interview with a larger team. I was given an exercise to prepare in advance (suggest revisions to a series of pages) and also show examples of projects where I had faced design challenges and how I addressed them. Both of these took some time to prepare.

Almost half the hour allotted went to set-up, unfortunately. The first projector we tried would not accept a signal; the second washed all color from the projected images. One participant was participating remotely, so time also went into getting hooked into their wireless and setting up GoToMeeting.

Meanwhile, it seems, senior managers invited were fuming. The mood was combative and critical from the start. One kept latching onto design details and expressing disdain for my explanations. It had been a while since I completed the complex projects shown, but I was expected to instantly remember the thinking that went into every detail. Criticism of design is of course an integral part of the process, but there are ways to go about design reviews that are constructive and not insulting, particularly when someone has been asked to prepare something on their own time. What they thought of my response to their design exercise (sent in advance) was never mentioned.

Soon after this grilling concluded, someone from HR showed up to say that the people I was supposed to talk to next had “been pulled into meetings” (this had been supposed to be a 3-hour process.)

The recruiters who got me into this, extremely solicitous beforehand, stopped communicating.

A thoroughly unpleasant waste of time.

Interview Questions

• "Why does the design not show how the company is protected from employees who misuse this application?"   Answer Question

Vendor Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Ellie Mae (Pleasanton, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online in December and the hiring manager contacted me in January for a phone interview. I was quickly brought in for in-person interviews with 5 individuals from the department I would be working in, each taking 30-40 minutes each and they provided lunch for the day. I was brought in a for a second round of interviews with upper level management. A recruiter (Virgil) guided me through the entire process and made himself available to answer all of my questions. Both the hiring department and the recruiter were transparent about the interview next steps and discussions taking place. Everyone was welcoming and the recruiter helped me gain some insight on the organization. I happily accepted an offer.

Interview Questions

• Explain a technical component of a vendor I have evaluated and types of recommendations I would make.   Answer Question

Senior BI/Analytics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ellie Mae (Pleasanton, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very structured. The panelists asked very challenging questions and the recruiter was helpful throughout the whole process. There was also a technical test apart from the interview.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Ellie Mae (Pleasanton, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with the recruiter and hiring manager, then in-person interviews with several members of the team and the hiring manager, then a second round of in-person interviews with upper level management, then a last round with the business partner I would support. The hiring manager was very transparent about the process and next steps. The internal recruiter and talent acquisition coordinator were both easy to communicate with and very friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• Questions pertained to my experience to assess whether or not I could do the job and there was also a lot of questions to assess whether I would be a good fit into the team and culture. Regarding skills, they asked if I had worked on various types of analyses or done forecasting for various parts of the P&L. Sometimes they proposed hypothetical questions to see how I would approach solving the problem. Regarding fit, they asked about how I worked, how I communicate, and they asked situational questions.   Answer Question

Product Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ellie Mae (Pleasanton, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

Arduous and lengthy

Interview Questions

• Pretty typical questions, have to give a 15-20 min presentation on a topic of your choice.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Also typical, they offer, you counter 1-3% higher.

Training Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ellie Mae (Pleasanton, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

After submitting my cover letter and resume, I was contacted by the Talent Acquisition Manager at Ellie Mae for an initial interview. I passed the screening and then was passed on to the Training Manager for a phone interview. I was then forwarded on to the Vice President, Client Services manager for my third telephone interview. After that successful interview, I was asked to prepare a 15-10 minute training presentation on any topic so they could gage my competencies and training style(s). This was to happen in the next week or two. The following week I was asked to speak with yet another person for my fourth telephone interview. I spoke with the Vice President of Development for about 25 minutes. That following Friday I was asked to give my presentation via webinar and conference call. I delivered my presentation in the allotted time to four panelists who at the end of the presentation gave me glowing reviews.

I was then told that they would be making a decision and I would be contacted the early part of the following week. I never heard from them that week. So the Friday of that week, I left two voice mail messages with the manager and Vice President regarding following up with the interviews; I decided to make a call to Ellie Mae corporate (no live person ever answered the phone) instead I got a voice mail tree and found the Vice President's office number and called that, and she picked up the phone. I thanked her for giving me the time to interview and was doing my due diligence and following up, she preceded to thank me for following up, and assured me that they had not gotten their respective parties together to collaborate due to a conference that some of them were attending, and that as soon as they have come to a decision, they would contact me.

That following Monday evening around 9 P.M., I received an email thanking me for taking the time to interview with Ellie Mae for their Product Trainer position, and at this time, they have selected other candidates to move to the final selection process.

Since that interview, I have looked again on their website and they have updated the position as of (10/22/12) with the position still available.

Interview Questions

• I we hire you, will you be loyal to our company and not leave for another opportunity should it arrise?   1 Answer

Software Developer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Ellie Mae (Pleasanton, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I got an interview call through a career fair at my school. They called me onsite after a phone screen. There were 3 technical interviews and a behavioral interview. Technical interviews mostly had questions related to Data Structures and algorithms like LinkedList, HashMap, Arrays. Overall the experience was positive, the interviewers were really sweet and helpful. The whole process was very fast paced. I received an offer in 2 days after the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a linked list and other questions on Linked lists
      Puzzles
      Dynamic resizing of arrays
      Design an efficient data structure
      How hash maps work and reducing collisions etc.
      1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Ellie Mae.

Interview

The Interview process was fairly straightforward.

1. Recruiter call to go over logistics of the position, making sure you have the appropriate background as per the job description.

2. Technical Interviews over the phone - So unfortunately there was some miscommunication on their end, some people rescheduling, etc, but I ended up having 5 phone technical interviews. These were fairly straight forward as well, starting with my background, scenarios dealing with requirements and end user requests, and general infrastructure knowledge testing for Linux, scripting, etc.

3. Technical Interviews on-site. I had another 4 interviews on site, ranging from 1 technical interview with a talented systems engineer both about public and private server knowledge, and then 3 interviews with managers and HR to go over logistics and culture fit.

Everyone was great!

Enterprise Sales Liaison Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ellie Mae (Livermore, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The team that I support exist mainly in field offices rather than in the home office, where I work. Several phone interviews were set up with Talent Acq, HR, SVP's, Sales Execs, etc. every call came to me at the exact minute it was scheduled, all questions were relevant and all were mindful of time and courtesy.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with walking to an Executive's office, knocking on the door and politely and professionally insisting on a moment of their attention?   1 Answer

Senior BI Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Ellie Mae.

Interview

Interview process comprised of phone interview with Sr. Manager followed by a series of multiple group interviews with members of the team, including Sr. Director. Interview questions were both technical and non-technical and included questions relating to SQL, ETL Process, Statistics, and BI life-cycle. Questions were also asked to gauge whether I could work well with the team. Overall experience was positive.