Elsevier Interview Questions in Oxford, England | Glassdoor

Interviews at Elsevier

2.8

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier (Oxford, England (UK)) in October 2018.

Interview

I firstly attended a phone screening interview, and then joined a face-to-face interview. The atmosphere was very friendly in general. Both two attenders were software developers and none of them asked me any question related to my profession, testing. There was no technical question either. I was asked to explain what I've done in my previous roles, and then given an unspecific case asking how to test it. I explained the test strategy by prioritising the functions of the case and then mentioned about possible test methodologies and test cases including negative scenarios. Nobody asked me any specific technical question about the technology or tool I could utilise while testing. Therefore, I only focused on the test methodologies and the test coverage I designed. After the interview I was thinking it was great and I would get an offer, but I couldn't. Because, according to their feedback, I was not enough technically. Hearing this feedback was really unreasonable. Because none of them had asked me any specific technical question during the interview. If I was asked any function or tool etc, of course I would explain what I know as I fulfil their requirements. Loosing the opportunity such this way was so tragic. I am really upset because I was cut out for the role, and I guess the interviewer was inexperienced and his missing guidance unfortunately caused me to lose the opportunity.

Graduate Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Elsevier (Oxford, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Test which lasted for one hour - multiple choice, one on one interview where they ask you to solve various puzzles, team task to see whether you can work in a team.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

Application via their website, took nearly a month for a response to application, then a screening call with the internal recruiter, then one hour call with hiring manager, then face-to-face in Oxford with the hiring manager, another project manager and a team member on the phone, finally a half hour phone interview with the VP of technology.
    Most questions were specific to situations that would be encountered in the role or issues within the team and how I would tackle these.
    Overall, the recruitment team were very responsive after the initial delay and were very accommodating and speedy as I had another offer at the time, and so accelerated the process.

Interview Questions

• What split do you have between working with the team and working with the stakeholders?   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Elsevier (Oxford, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Initial phone screening with lead.

Then onsite a coding exercise.
    Onsite a project will be set up in laptop with junit test case which all are failing.
    Need to make all junit test cases green.

Then same project in another test case where performance improvement needs to be done.

So there will be discussion around that how to do it.
    It was an interesting experience. Though I didnt get this position they were ready to offer me a bit lower level of job which they are trying to find out.

Interview Questions

• Phone screening is just about personal technical experience.

Question was making a search engine at a basic level.   1 Answer

Customer Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Elsevier (Oxford, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by phone for pre-screening . Receivied a letter to come for a face to face interview. Pleasant experience and great interview questions. After three days i received an offer letter.

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier (Oxford, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with one of the managers in the company.. Very simple run through my CV and asked a couple of questions and then I was called to Assessment Day..It involved an interview, a group exercise, a presentation on a subject we like and a few tests

Technology Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier (Oxford, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

CV and cover letter, if successful you have a 15 minutes telephone interview. Telephone Interview asked about the company and why I chose my degree subject. After I was invited to an assessment centre day. It was really fun and not intimidating at all, all the people were lovely and made you feel welcome, they weren't there to trick you.

Had some tests, group work, one-on-one interviews and gave a presentation.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your degree subject and why is it relevant to the job?   1 Answer

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier (Oxford, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

Very unhappy with the lack of professionalism displayed.

I was initially contacted by an in-house recruiter on LinkedIn, we scheduled a call that lasted for 30-45 minutes.

The recruiter was very friendly and the phone call was mostly a culture test as well as explaining what Elsevier is about. He did not seem to be overly clued up on the tech stack used etc. but that was not a problem. The phone call seemed to go very well.

I was asked to email the recruiter my desired salary along with my reason for pursuing a position with Elsevier.

Fast forward 2-3 weeks and I had not heard anything. Not even a reply to my previous email. Out of the blue I received an email from someone I had not been in contact with before, she asked if I would be available for a phone interview with a development manager.

I spent a good amount of time preparing for this phone call. Again, I feel that the phone call went very well. I had an answer for every question, I was prepared with my own questions. I had also spent considerable time researching Elsevier. At the end of the phone call, I was told it went very well and that they would like me to come in and meet the team. I was given absolutely no indication that there would be an issue.

I never heard from them again.

Elsevier, I did not take time out of work to prepare, only for my time to be wasted. Be honest with applicant's and treat them professionally.

Interview Questions

• How do I work within a team?   1 Answer

Graduate Technology Scheme 2018 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Elsevier (Oxford, England (UK)) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online and was then invited to complete an online aptitude test along with a video interview. The aptitude test was quite challenging and the video interview was one of those pre-recorded ones. I was given the questions for the video interview in advance. This was in February.

Upon completing these I was invited to attend an Assessment Centre in Oxford, this was in March.

The assessment centre was interesting to say the least. Due to the nature of the scheme and how broad it was, there was a wide range of students completing different courses. Some people were not even completing a STEM degree, which I found quite surprising.

The assessment centre day consisted of a lot of connecting and talking with other applicants and current grads. There were free food and coffee etc. When arriving we were given a 1 hour presentation that had many different members of Elsevier staff involved. Some details included the amount of applicants that year (1000) were given to us. The first part of the day was another test, which was quite weird as one had already been completed online. The next stage was a tour of the office which did surprise me a lot. The company showcase themselves as very collaborative but when touring the office there were a lot of staff sitting far apart, and it was extremely quiet and dark in there. Maybe I just went round at a weird time? From photos online, it seems very modern with a start up kind of look and feel. But this also was not the case for the majority of the office.

The next thing was the individual presentations. These were completed in front of a group of about 8 people, 4 were other applicants that you were grouped with at the start of the day, and the rest were Elsevier staff.

Following this, we had face to face interviews which went quite technical for me, considering my background. There were some weird questions that I will note down below.

The final task was the group exercise in which we were given a question and had to find out the answer. We were each given a set of cards with details on, but we were not allowed to show other people the card itself, we were only allowed to explain what it said verbally.

This was the end of the day, we were told we would find out a decision rather quickly. There was no mention of the salary at the assessment day, neither on the initial application. I found out a few days later via a very generic rejection email which I found quite disappointing considering the effort that was put into preparing the presentation and travelling to the location.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve a puzzle? And how would this be converted into machine code? (Pseudo code)   Answer Question
    • Draw a simple data model for a murder investigation   Answer Question
    • Two triangles intersect each other, what other shapes can you fit inside of the intersection?   Answer Question

Elsevier Response

Apr 9, 2018 – Elsevier Rep

Thank you for your helpful review. We are always reviewing and improving our interview process as well as our graduate programme. We wish you all the very best in future.