Emerson Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Emerson Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2016

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Emerson.

Interview

First they call and talk to you about your resume for about 30 mins, not any hard questions, they are just trying to get a feel as to what experience you have.

After that screening they schedule an interview.
The interview lasts about 4 hours, they ask a lot of question and ask you to do some basic algorithms, and they want to see how logically you think.
Then they take you out to lunch.

Interview Questions

• If you have an linked list with certain values, how can you tell what the highest value is of the list, whether there is a push or a pull.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Emerson

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

Initial phone interview had basic behavior questions. Why I was interested in working at the company? Why was I a good fit? What was I interested in doing?

Next interview was "technical" with my manager. Mostly asking questions about my resume and explaining specific projects I was on. Some questions pertaining to C# nothing too difficult.

Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Emerson (Round Rock, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very basic. Started out with a behavior interview on-campus, then an on-site interview a month later. Emerson is a very welcoming company and I would encourage anyone to apply to Emerson if they are interested in software engineering. The Delta V processing and automation system is unbelievable as observed in the variety of industries it caters to.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ames, IA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Emerson (Ames, IA) in October 2014.

Interview

It was a two round interview with the first round being in person at my university. During the first round I was interviewed by 3 people, an HR rep, the manager for test, and the manager for engineering. The panel each asked me a question and then allowed me to ask questions which turned into a dialog.

The second round was at their site. I met with several people who I would work with as well as toured the facility

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Emerson (Sunrise, FL) in July 2014.

Interview

Initial interview with recruiter followed by a grueling 6 simultaneous technical and non technical interview done in one afternoon. Questions were random since the 6 interviewers were not in the room at the same time. One coming after the other with a different interview approach. Overall it was very disappointing.

Interview Questions

• We like you but you do not possess the experience we required, are you willing to take a step back and accept a lower position with lower pay?   Answer Question

Pay is too low - 20K off advertised amount.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Binghamton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Emerson (Binghamton, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to schedule an interview about a month later. I met with the head of engineering then three people that worked in the software engineering department. They were all very kind and enthusiastic.

Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Emerson (Sunrise, FL) in January 2014.

Interview

The process consisted in 5 different interviews with 5 different people from very technical to managers. The difficulty of the interview can be considered medium. No code needed to be written.

Interview Questions

• Programming and technical questions.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Emerson in November 2013.

Interview

Initial application through the company website. Got an email a few days later with the standard rejection.

Several weeks later got a call from the an emerson recruiter asking if I was interested in another available position. Confirmed interest and arranged a 30 min phone interview with the hiring manager.

Phone screen interview with the hiring manager consisted of some standard behavioural questions, a few about software development processes and a few knowledge based technical questions from the manager - abstract class versus java interface etc. how do you approach chunking up work for a big problem. He went on to describe the role and what they were doing. Got a canned rejection email a few days later .

About 6 weeks later get a call from the recruiter inviting for a whole day onsite interview for the same position (not sure why after getting the rejection email - forgot to ask the recruiter).

Onsite interview was a all day affair. 30 mins meet the with the whole team in a conference room and they ask general questions based on your resume. Then 45-60 min sessions with 4 people and a one hour coding skills interview where you are given a laptop and type out answers to a lot of questions - no discussions, just code a whole slew of them, find factorial, find N prime numbers, etc.

The 1-1 45-60 min session consisted of people coming in a list of prepared questions. Some of them were pleasant and we had a good conversation about the problem questions that they had on their list. But some of them were trying to get through their list of questions as fast as possible not really trying to have a discussion. A lot of it was mostly knowledge based questions about networking. Some were odd ball ones like puzzles. Question about implementing a function call in assembly, virtual memory mapping to physical memory, OOD questions etc. in general all over the map.

4 weeks later still no feedback about candidature - no rejection email either. Tried pinging the recruiter - no response. Have moved on and accepted another position in the meanwhile.

Interview Questions

• Nothing very difficult. Lots of knowledge based questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marshalltown, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Emerson (Marshalltown, IA) in September 2011.

Interview

Interview was set up at a Career Fair, gentleman I talked to led me to believe that the interview would be with the Emerson parent company. Interviewed with a different gentleman working for Fisher explicitly (control valves). Interview started off well, I had experience with the line of TI micro controllers he used (MSP valueline).

Interviewer was dressed in casual attire, Polo and slacks. Prompted me for questions about the company multiple times. Took approx. 30 min. Not a lot of technical questions. More interested in previous project experiences than technical knowledge.

I inquired about opportunities outside of Fisher, and he seemed to become upset. He told me he was recruiting for Fisher only.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes an array as the only parameter, and returns an array of the same values in reverse order. Any language, must compile.   2 Answers
    • Talk about a time when you worked in a group with one or more people when they didn't complete their independent objectives.

Followup was how did you handle it.
      Answer Question

Didn't get an offer from the area I was applying for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Emerson (Sunrise, FL) in June 2010.

Interview

Set up a phone interview through email. Took about 2 days between email and phone interview. More informal technical questions with the main concern being domain design. The position was responsible for designing a multi user domain for a new product that was a merger of two companies by Emmerson, their parent. Described my experience with user domain design and other projects.