Emerson Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Emerson Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 24, 2017

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Emerson in August 2017.

Interview

Had a phone interview with HR then the next day I was scheduled for an on site interview. The one site interview was with a panel of different managers and different departments. They asked a series of questions

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Emerson

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Emerson (Duluth, MN) in January 2017.

Interview

I had the introductory interview that will hopefully lead to a second interview. I am looking forward to the option to have another interview. The interview was at UMD on site.

Interview Questions

• What characteristics about yourself would benefit our company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Emerson (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Typical tech interview consisting of whiteboard/coding puzzles and algorithms including the famous 8 identical balls question, which I have seen at least in 3 interviews and several books. Fibonacci function, find the duplicated number in the list, and so on. Your experience is irrelevant if you can't solve these puzzles and algos, no matter how many successful projects you have under your sleeve, if you can't find the heaviest ball using the scale twice you suck, but if you had seen it before and can remember it, you will look like a genius to Emerson.

Some of the questions were basic understanding of memory management and concurrency, with some tricks to make you fail, but still should be easy to answer correctly under normal work environment; but nobody works well with shoulder surfers.

I will never get the point of these type of interviews, and I wonder how many talented developers companies pass on because the candidate couldn't do a bubble sort on a whiteboard under stress and pressure. I know for sure, some of the engineers I met at Emerson that day wouldn't even hire each other based on the same type of interview, yet they probably work well together. It's a broken system that hurts companies and demoralizes candidates. It's a lose-lose scenario.

If I knew Emerson's interview practices beforehand, I would have declined the interview and save myself time, which I really don't have a lot; taking a full day off to do puzzles and algorithms is a complete waste of time. So I am putting this over here in case you are like me and refuse to interview with companies doing the whiteboard algorithm/riddle hazing.

Finally, if you Google for "github whiteboard companies" you will find a list of companies (hosted on Github) that don't use whiteboard puzzles/algorithms in their interview process.

Interview Questions

• How many cars are in the US?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Emerson.

Interview

First they call and talk to you about your resume for about 30 mins, not any hard questions, they are just trying to get a feel as to what experience you have.

After that screening they schedule an interview.
    The interview lasts about 4 hours, they ask a lot of question and ask you to do some basic algorithms, and they want to see how logically you think.
    Then they take you out to lunch.

Interview Questions

• If you have an linked list with certain values, how can you tell what the highest value is of the list, whether there is a push or a pull.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

Initial phone interview had basic behavior questions. Why I was interested in working at the company? Why was I a good fit? What was I interested in doing?

Next interview was "technical" with my manager. Mostly asking questions about my resume and explaining specific projects I was on. Some questions pertaining to C# nothing too difficult.

Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Emerson (Round Rock, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very basic. Started out with a behavior interview on-campus, then an on-site interview a month later. Emerson is a very welcoming company and I would encourage anyone to apply to Emerson if they are interested in software engineering. The Delta V processing and automation system is unbelievable as observed in the variety of industries it caters to.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ames, IA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Emerson (Ames, IA) in October 2014.

Interview

It was a two round interview with the first round being in person at my university. During the first round I was interviewed by 3 people, an HR rep, the manager for test, and the manager for engineering. The panel each asked me a question and then allowed me to ask questions which turned into a dialog.

The second round was at their site. I met with several people who I would work with as well as toured the facility

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Emerson (Sunrise, FL) in July 2014.

Interview

Initial interview with recruiter followed by a grueling 6 simultaneous technical and non technical interview done in one afternoon. Questions were random since the 6 interviewers were not in the room at the same time. One coming after the other with a different interview approach. Overall it was very disappointing.

Interview Questions

• We like you but you do not possess the experience we required, are you willing to take a step back and accept a lower position with lower pay?   Answer Question

Pay is too low - 20K off advertised amount.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Binghamton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Emerson (Binghamton, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to schedule an interview about a month later. I met with the head of engineering then three people that worked in the software engineering department. They were all very kind and enthusiastic.

Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Emerson (Sunrise, FL) in January 2014.

Interview

The process consisted in 5 different interviews with 5 different people from very technical to managers. The difficulty of the interview can be considered medium. No code needed to be written.

Interview Questions

• Programming and technical questions.   1 Answer