Encore Capital Group Manager, Business Analysis Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Manager, Business Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group (San Diego, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

First round was a 30 min interview with the recruiter. General questions on resume, salary requirements, and interest in the position after recruiter explained it in further detail.

Second round was a 30 min phone interview with the hiring manager. I was a little thrown off as the first question was "What was your GPA in undergrad?" and the second question was "What was your GMAT score?" I graduated undergrad over 10 years ago and my GMAT was taken about 8 years ago. I didn't think those questions really indicated anything at all about my performance to handle the job. The interview had some behavioral questions and some general questions about my background and how the skills apply to the job.

Third round was a 5 hour half-day interview meeting with 6 people. I was told I would get 2 case interviews with specific people. Instead, I received 3 case interviews with different people than what was originally mentioned. Instead of having 1 interview, then case, another interview, then a case, I had 3 back-to-back cases without breaks. One case was about determining why the company's profits were shrinking but competitor profits were staying the same. One case on breakeven analysis. And one case on breakeven analysis for their specific industry and response rate. Other interviews during the half-day meeting were behavioral questions, general interview and understanding of their business. The hardest part was getting through the entire interview without getting too exhausted.

Fourth round was a 3-4 hour interview with 4 people. Behavioral questions, another case interview, and fit/personality interview.

The job was advertised more as a 20% analytics position and 80% management position. Each step of the way, I was told this was still the case. After going through the 3rd round of interviews, I felt the job was more 80% analytics and 20% management. The amount of rigor they put into their case interviews and just interviews in general is astounding. I was told they were looking for someone with transferable technical skills but more emphasis was put on the people skills. This isn't really the case as I was not extended an offer because of my technical skills. Overall, the interviews were long and time-consuming. But I'd rather be at a company that looks for the right people rather than just hiring anyone out there.

The office is a 2 story building in Kearny Mesa that reminds me of a stock exchange environment with low wall cubicals. Half the people I met were somewhat dry and very technical. The other half of the people had great personalities and felt like they were people I could work with. The team seemed on the "younger" side. I gather most people were in the late 20s - late 30s. In terms of culture, I gathered people worked hard and got their work done. It was a pretty quiet office and not a lot of socializing. That being said, the peer that I interviewed with says they do have happy hours and get togethers. I was also told that people rarely work more than 40 hours/week. On average 50 hours a week maybe once per month. You typically come in between 8 AM - 5 PM +/- 1 hour. Just get your work done and go home. Debt will still be there tomorrow. I like that attitude!

Interview Questions