EnerNOC Energy Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

EnerNOC Energy Engineer Interview Questions

3.1

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EnerNOC (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online and had a phone interview with the HR person and then a phone interview with one of the senior people. Both went well and I was invited to San Francisco for an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of 4 teams of 2 people and took about 4 hours.

Most of the interviews went well enough but the interview with the person I would have reported to was a little painful. It was clear early on that he was interested in some very specific energy engineering experience and needed someone to "hit the ground running" which is one of my least favorite terms. Considering that they were 2 1/2 years into a 3 year utility contract and hadn't done anything yet, it seemed like the time to hit the ground running had past.

Anyway, I thought he was your basic arrogant engineer - someone with narrow experience who considers himself an expert - so we didn't bond. I went to lunch with a couple other folks and came then back to the office. I figured that I was done when they didn't come back to the interview room after 30 minutes so I said goodbye to the receptionist and left. It was very unprofessional.

I guess I thought that EnerNOC was a go-go company and it would be different from other energy engineering companies that work for utilities. But, these people were all from a company that had been acquired by EnerNOC and didn't seem to know anything about the company except for the little piece of the world they inhabited. They were interested in someone that had done exactly what they do - over and over again. I've always thought that if I have ten years of experience in something, I don't want to do that any more and would like to do something else.

I heard back in a couple days that they were looking for someone with more specific experience which wasn't a surprise. I wasn't sure I would have taken the job anyway because they had performed poorly on the contract they were hiring for and there was only 6 months to turn that around.

All in all pretty disappointing.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how to calculate the efficiency of a boiler.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for EnerNOC

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at EnerNOC (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Fast paced and unique.

I originally accidentally applied for a more senior role in the company after having a few tabs open at the same time during my searching. The person who interviewed me coming out of that application was interested in putting me in a more unique role specifically catered for my background because my background was different than most entering this industry.

The first phone interview was extremely pleasant, discussing my background, strengths, and weaknesses, and what EnerNOC's plan was for me going forward. Shortly after, I was asked to come to EnerNOC's facilities for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview consisted of 4 teams of people ranging from potential direct colleagues to potential supervisors to the upper management. For every team, I felt very comfortable and was treated with kindness and sincerity. The questions were fair, asking me about my background and how I worked through problems more than the technicalities of the position I would be filling. The only question I felt that I slipped up on was concerning the generalities of energy transfer. The question was not entirely clear to me at the time, and to their credit, they tried to guide me along the way to find the answer they were looking for. In the end, the answer they were seeking was more rudimentary than the question I was trying to answer, and I didn't handle being flustered well, ultimately resulting in a less-than-stellar interview on my end.

They let me know one working day after my interview that I would not be extended an offer. The quick turnaround time was fantastic, and I really appreciated that.

Interview Questions

• Consider a boiler system. What goes in and what goes out, and how do you measure the efficiency of the system?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at EnerNOC (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

first phone call (just talking what is on resume), then personal interview(again talking what is on resume in more details, and other personal questions with two people asking them) , and testing on things you will encounter during the work. Most wore pleasant, but onew was serious like you could die if you make one mistake(That person made me a bit uncomfortable,and i was suppose to work with him).

Interview Questions

• On personal interview i had questions like "how many balls can you fit in that room, explain how you came to that conclusion, and what numbers cud it be".

On testing, there wore 4 parts.
      1. Some basic engineering questions, like " V=R*I - explain ", how much kW/h will 60W light consume, calculate surface of few objects (basic, simple numbers, just look up formulas if you don't remember them) -10mn
      2. How fast can you find information on web, like, who are competitors, where can you buy there equipment in Boston, who is CEO, where and when did they start (simple stuff, but be fast) - 10min
      3. PP presentation about energy sector in America. (few slides) - 20min
      4. Excel table, lots for data comparison, basis if() functions.   Answer Question

Energy Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EnerNOC.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview with an HR rep that was pretty standard questions. From there I was placed with another phone interview from an engineer at the actually site I was applying to, he talked about the job a bit more and asked questions more related towards that. From there there was an hour excel test that really tests you for some of the more detail aspects of excel. Then after feeling pretty confident on all three of those aspects I was told that the were going to internally fill the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at EnerNOC (Irvine, CA).

Interview

was a two interview process and a test. First interview was an HR personnel which was very pleasant. The second was with a manager asking some technical questions which were very fair. He was also very informative about the position.

Interview Questions

• explain how would you handle a critical situation during field work   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EnerNOC (Irvine, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Phone interview from HR following with a Phone interview with the branch Manager

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EnerNOC (Irvine, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

Group interview with work relevant questions, personal interview, one-on-one interview, and a computer based test after this. Essay based written questions as well. All relevant to the job. Challenging but fair. Be skilled at Microsoft Excel as it is important to the work of the company and to the interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you have addressed a challenging problem in the past.   Answer Question

Energy Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at EnerNOC in March 2010.

Interview

I appllied online and got an email from hr. they called onsite for an interview and a test. it was around 2 hour. it consisted of excel/word test, conceptual question and briefing of company offer and benifits. I appllied online and got an email from hr. they called onsite for an interview and a test. it was around 2 hour. it consisted of excel/word test, conceptual question and briefing of company offer and benifits. I appllied online and got an email from hr. they called onsite for an interview and a test. it was around 2 hour. it consisted of excel/word test, conceptual question and briefing of company offer and benifits