EnerNOC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

EnerNOC Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2017

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at EnerNOC (Boston, MA).

Interview

Met with a range of executive and junior team members - told a good story, asked good questions, broad range of answers. Additional organization in the process could have been helpful.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EnerNOC (Boston, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

Brief initial phone screen then a 1.5 hour interview in Boston. Three 30 min interviews with two team members each. Very informal, talked about myself, talked about the role and why I was a good fit.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about demand response? Draw a typical energy usage curve for a 24 hr period. How many quarters would fit in this room and how much money is that. Other standard questions.   Answer Question

Business Operation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at EnerNOC (Boston, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

There are two groups people coming to interview. It is embarrassing that I didn't realize there is another two people to interview me. They prepared a list of problems to ask. it is not easy to ask but no technique questions. It takes about 1 hour for the interview.

Interview Questions

• what did you do when you have disagreement with your teams or co-workers?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at EnerNOC (Boston, MA).

Interview

Lots of people. Lots of questions. Homework. More people. More questions. A presentation. Lunch. Paperwork.

Know the company. Ask questions of your interviewer. Intellectual curiosity and intellectual horsepower are equally important.

Most interviews were two on one. Interviewers ranged from subordinates to superiors. EnerNOC covered the transportation costs, and was pretty accommodating with my schedule. Salary negotiations were also done reasonably quickly.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated for a higher base.

Demand Response Operations Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at EnerNOC.

Interview

Tough, detailed, need preparation. The interviewer is an analyst from Demand Response team. He's smart and quick. He's asking many detailed questions about my experience. He provides information about his company, his team and the position itself as well.

Interview Questions

• Why you use this this platform instead of the other? What's the difficulty when you learn something? Why there's a transit in your major in school and the job you're apply for? Sharp questions...   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EnerNOC (Rochester, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

I had a phone conversation with a recruiter, followed by 2-3 hours of in-person interviews with the hiring manager and a few peers. A week later, I had a follow-up phone call with the recruiter to answer some non-technical questions. Several days later, I received a job offer.

The process was very transparent with a good sense of honesty from the people involved. Excellent hiring practices. A model for other companies to follow.

Energy Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EnerNOC (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online and had a phone interview with the HR person and then a phone interview with one of the senior people. Both went well and I was invited to San Francisco for an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of 4 teams of 2 people and took about 4 hours.

Most of the interviews went well enough but the interview with the person I would have reported to was a little painful. It was clear early on that he was interested in some very specific energy engineering experience and needed someone to "hit the ground running" which is one of my least favorite terms. Considering that they were 2 1/2 years into a 3 year utility contract and hadn't done anything yet, it seemed like the time to hit the ground running had past.

Anyway, I thought he was your basic arrogant engineer - someone with narrow experience who considers himself an expert - so we didn't bond. I went to lunch with a couple other folks and came then back to the office. I figured that I was done when they didn't come back to the interview room after 30 minutes so I said goodbye to the receptionist and left. It was very unprofessional.

I guess I thought that EnerNOC was a go-go company and it would be different from other energy engineering companies that work for utilities. But, these people were all from a company that had been acquired by EnerNOC and didn't seem to know anything about the company except for the little piece of the world they inhabited. They were interested in someone that had done exactly what they do - over and over again. I've always thought that if I have ten years of experience in something, I don't want to do that any more and would like to do something else.

I heard back in a couple days that they were looking for someone with more specific experience which wasn't a surprise. I wasn't sure I would have taken the job anyway because they had performed poorly on the contract they were hiring for and there was only 6 months to turn that around.

All in all pretty disappointing.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how to calculate the efficiency of a boiler.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at EnerNOC (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

Met with multiple team members for topic specific interview over 4 hours after multiple phone screenings. Phone screenings were with Human Resources and hiring manager. In office interviews were in person and on the phone with remote employees.

Interview Questions

• In your opinion which is better, a strong matrix or weak matrix?   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Interview

Phone Interview, Followed by in house interview with Finance Director and Team Leader. The process was very straightforward considering it was an internship position with a corporate enterprise. I found the company was eager to find the right candidate for this position and did not make the application process overly complicated.

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at EnerNOC in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Recruiter called and emailed a week later. Excited for me to have screening interviews with her and the hiring manager and wanted to schedule them that week. Three week delays in scheduling. Finally happened after six weeks from initial contact. Phone with recruiter then 3 hr interview in person with hiring mgr. Both went very well and very positive but there was zero follow up by either. Finally got recruiter on phone 3 weeks after interview and was told position was eliminated and will not be filled. Suggestion to EnerNOC: Get your stories straight and decisions final before you waste other peoples time.

Interview Questions

• Elementary and basic questions about my background, my interest in company, job and industry. Questions from the hiring manger were more around when can you start, compensation, territory/customers, professional growth aspirations in company, etc. Questions were not asked about my technical skillset, research on company and sector, sales techniques or situations, etc. It was odd... as if they didn't seem to care and have made their decision to hire me.   Answer Question