EnerNOC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

EnerNOC Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2017

Energy Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at EnerNOC (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Fast paced and unique.

I originally accidentally applied for a more senior role in the company after having a few tabs open at the same time during my searching. The person who interviewed me coming out of that application was interested in putting me in a more unique role specifically catered for my background because my background was different than most entering this industry.

The first phone interview was extremely pleasant, discussing my background, strengths, and weaknesses, and what EnerNOC's plan was for me going forward. Shortly after, I was asked to come to EnerNOC's facilities for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview consisted of 4 teams of people ranging from potential direct colleagues to potential supervisors to the upper management. For every team, I felt very comfortable and was treated with kindness and sincerity. The questions were fair, asking me about my background and how I worked through problems more than the technicalities of the position I would be filling. The only question I felt that I slipped up on was concerning the generalities of energy transfer. The question was not entirely clear to me at the time, and to their credit, they tried to guide me along the way to find the answer they were looking for. In the end, the answer they were seeking was more rudimentary than the question I was trying to answer, and I didn't handle being flustered well, ultimately resulting in a less-than-stellar interview on my end.

They let me know one working day after my interview that I would not be extended an offer. The quick turnaround time was fantastic, and I really appreciated that.

Interview Questions

• Consider a boiler system. What goes in and what goes out, and how do you measure the efficiency of the system?   Answer Question

Data Quality Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at EnerNOC (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

3 sets of two people each asking question after question and really digging thru my resume. Lots of critical thinking and hypothetical situation questions. THey asked me a lot about my background and how it could apply to the current job, although they did not do a great job of explaining exactly what their jobs are like.

Interview Questions

• Asked me how many pizzas America consumes per year on average   Answer Question

Energy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at EnerNOC.

Interview

Worst interview I ever had. Three people criticized me mid interview, calling me timid and saying I wasn't "passionate" about anything outside of work. Definitely not interested anymore, seems like there's a lot of egos there.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at EnerNOC (Rochester, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Met them at a career fair, interviewed the next day. The interviewer said I was the only applicant, and asked if I wanted the job (somewhat kidding). A few hours later I got a call from a different recruiter giving me the offer. Here's the kicker, he wanted to know my decision by NOON THE NEXT DAY, and could only wait 2 days max.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at EnerNOC (Dublin, OH) in September 2015.

Interview

Had a brief phone interview asking why I wanted to enter the energy industry and why I wanted to work for Enernoc specifically. After that I was called back for an in-person interview which consisted of two parts. The first being a face to face interview with in-house employees and the second a phone interview with a representative from another branch.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at EnerNOC.

Interview

Three phone interviews and a live interview. Spoke with the person to become my boss, their boss, and their bosses boss. Pretty high up the management chain. Mostly asked questions about sales process and how one would handle situations.

Interview Questions

• Had to do an business proposal that was fairly analytical.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at EnerNOC (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Three separate phone interviews with HR recruiter, hiring manager, and hiring director. On site interviews were with potential colleagues and staff from other departments. The on-site was scheduled for 30 minutes per person with 3 people. Generally, standard interview questions and employees are friendly and willing to answer questions from the candidate. HR recruiter was also very considerate to close the loop at the end and let me know why they passed. Company operates in a matrix structure. There's less emphasis on where you are located so you may not be located in the same office as your prospective manager, director, or colleagues. Also, hiring for this particular position is continuous and ongoing so there is less pressure to hire immediately. They are more interested in hiring the "right candidate" to quote the hiring director.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at EnerNOC (Boston, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

Process was as follows:

1 - Initial screening with HR, basic questions about background etc.

2 - Phone call with the hiring manager for the position. More focused on the role and your skills to date. Some behavioral questions asked also such as "Have you ever dealt with a difficult coworker? How did you overcome this challenge?"

3 - In-Person interviews: 6 x 30 minutes with various members of the team and the hiring manager. Questions such as why do you want to work for EnerNoc etc

4 - Final round: Call with group director, more of an informal chat to test "fit" then an interview.

Offer made the next business day.

Business Development Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at EnerNOC.

Interview

About a month, started with phone interviews and wrapped up with in three in person interviews. Recruiting/HR contact was very helpful. In person interviews varied from good to terrible. One team leader admitted they had not reviewed my file and implied they had very little interest in my candidacy, which was surprising given the level of vetting I received to get to that point.

Interview Questions

• Questions varied from product knowledge to communication ability. Not many trick questions, but a generally high level conversation throughout.   1 Answer

Energy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at EnerNOC in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process started with a phone chat which I thought was just a description about the job. Little did I know it was a full-on phone interview where the interviewer asked me specific technical questions and seemed mildly condescending. The interview definitely concentrates primarily on technical skills and less on how good a worker you actually are.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about Demand Response and how it relates to what Enernoc does?
      Describe the refrigeration cycle for me
      If water coming out of a cooling tower it not cold enough, why is that?   Answer Question