EnglishTown Interview Questions | Glassdoor

EnglishTown Interview Questions

2.5

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at EnglishTown.

Interview

I applied via email. Then I got an email back from the recruiter asking me to fill out something online. Then we talked via SKYPE. I don't remember the exact questions, but I think we talked about my past work history, my availability, etc.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at EnglishTown (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Submitted Application Received email regarding interview Received language and Internet Speed test Had Skype Interview which included Video Class Test Received Offer letter in 24 hours. It was very conversational and engaging and interesting.

Interview Questions

• 1. Received a Quiz document before the interview
      2. Interview was about background, use of video communcation tools such as Adobe Connect
      3. Goals with the company

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at EnglishTown in February 2015.

Interview

The interview is over Skype. A questionnaire was sent beforehand that you has to answer, before the interview. Questions were also sent beforehand that you will discuss in the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at EnglishTown (Raleigh, NC) in December 2014.

Interview

At the time I was hired a few years ago, I received an initial phone call from a recruiter. Then I scheduled a follow up interview. At which time I was scheduled for an online skype interview. Once I got the job, I did a follow up skype info session and then did training online.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an unruly student?
      How should you build rapport online?
      Why have you decided to teach online?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EnglishTown (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I was very interested in this position. I felt like it would complement a substitute teaching position that I have.

The interview was a Skype phone call (not a video call). The interviewer reviewed the information that he gave before the interview. I told him that I did read it. He kept going on about the information assuming that a review was needed. He asked basic questions every interview goes through (background).

He then wanted me to preview the online platform. I was not ready for this. I had asked whether the Skype interview was going to be a video call or a phone call. He did not answer, so to be safe I prepared for a video call. I use my smartphone for this because it has a better camera. Otherwise, I would have used my laptop. When he asked for the preview of the platform I had a hard time navigating the link he sent. I managed to pull the app for in my smartphone. I could not use my laptop as I did not have Skype on it. Then he realized that I was using a mobile device. But, it really did not matter as my smartphone allowed me to successfully preview the platform. I answered him honestly and told of why I used my smartphone. He was unimpressed. I think that's when he passed judgement on me.

Here is my response to the interviewer... People use their smartphone as their home and professional camera. They use it because they know it takes good pictures. No one thinks to say we should not use the camera because we should always use a traditional camera. This would be empty formalism. Now, what was difference was there between me using my smartphone and my laptop (if you had responded to my question....)? I needed my phone for the video call and I was able to preview the platform identically to how it would have been on my laptop (the preview went perfectly until your "Are you using your iPad?!?!). I even told you I was not going to use my phone on the job as I would need a keyboard. Overall, such empty formalism does not belong in modern day America. Such empty formalism belongs in the Victorian Era England. This is all very unfortunate. I was super excited about this position. I had wished for better judgement. You let me down.

Interview Questions

• Are you flexible? (Something the interviewer emphasized a lot)   2 Answers

Online Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at EnglishTown.

Interview

Interview process was done via Skype, but voice only - no video. The Interviewer (Nathan Casey) was very gracious in rescheduling my interview when I accidentally mixed up the time zone difference and missed the first appointment. I was impressed with the quality of questions that were asked - they reflected best practices in TESOL communicative language teaching - error correction, etc. He basically walked me through the online classroom and asked me to respond to several different kinds of situations or lesson points from my perspective as a teacher, focusing on the differences between traditional classroom setting and an online class where you have no face-to-face interaction.

Interview Questions

• How would you engage students when you have only voice - no face-to-face contact?   1 Answer

The interview was very positive, but I decided not to take the job due to a very restrictive employment contract that seemed to infringe on my intellectual property rights. They also have a strict payment policy in which you can be not paid AND have to pay THEM a fine if you are ever late to a class (even by 1 minute) or late in submitting student documents, (one online reviewer also said they were docked if their students ever rated them below 4 out of 5 stars rating), etc. I understand the need for professionalism, but I'd prefer a limited number of warnings and then being fired rather then refusing to pay me after I've already done the work. Being fined in addition to withholding pay seems a little over the top.

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at EnglishTown (Arlington, VA) in May 2012.

Interview

The asked a lot of questions about how to teach English to non native speakers of different levels, asked about available hours and internet connection. The whole thing was done online in less than one hour.

Interview Questions

• How would you correct a student?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

I applied online through their website and was contacted 2 days later and arranged for an interview a few days after that, so in all it took around a week.

The interview was done through a Skype voice call not video and the interviewer was based in China as that is where the online teaching head office is based. It was very relaxed, the questions were mainly about my background and situational experiences based questions. There was a quick fire round where you had to give one word answers off the top of your head basically to see how you would cope. I was then shown around the online classroom platform and asked to show how I would teach 3 of the slides, which I was surprised by. I was given around 5 minutes to prepare something and then talk it through. Given that I had only seen it then and there and wasn't familiar with the platform I still managed to garble through even though not to the standard had I been able to prepare beforehand and know what I was going to be teaching on the slides.

I received an offer 2 days later.

Interview Questions

• How would I engage students teaching on an online platform?
      How long do I see myself teaching with them?

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EnglishTown (London, England (UK)).

Interview

First interview is face to face. after you have a play role on the phone, will be your typical day at work. last step is a group interview.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at EnglishTown (London, England (UK)) in April 2013.

Interview

I talked to various members of the team, getting much better insight about inner working of the team, projects. I had a chance to ask whatever I've been interested in knowing and every question got good answer.