Environment America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Environment America

2.7

Fellowship Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Environment America (Chicago, IL) in February 2010.

Interview

I had a phone interview and was told at the end of the conversation I would be contacted for a 2nd round 1:1 Interview. My 1:1 interview took place in Chicago, IL ( the closest city with an Environment America office). The 1:1 interview was mainly behavioral with a focus on environmental problems. I could tell my interviewer was very busy that day and rushed into and out of the interview. Handed me a location preference form to fill out at the end then left me in the office by myself. I heard exactly 2 weeks later I had not received an offer.

Fellowship Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Environment America (Sacramento, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Went to Sacramento for a day-long interview where we did various activities such as canvassing, group work and planning, public speaking, and another 1:1 interview. Halfway through the interview I realized this job was not for me but just went along with everything.

The people working there were nice but seemed a bit too intense for my taste. I admire them for feeling strong about environmental issues but most hired fellows are expected to work extremely long hours with very little pay. I felt like the type of people they were looking for were had to be just as intense as they were.

Interview Questions

• If there was a coal industry polluting a nearby city, how would you go about trying to stop that factory from producing any more externalities?   Answer Question
    • If we were to offer you a position, would you take it?   Answer Question

Policy Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Environment America (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interviewer was very nice and made the job seem like a great opportunity. But I would have appreciated knowing some more details about the position ahead of time. Could have saved everyone the time.

Interview Questions

• What do you see as the best way to enact change in this country?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Environment America (Chicago, IL) in April 2011.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a really nice woman; we chatted casually and she told me I'd have a second-round interview. The phone interview is pretty easy, general stuff. My in-person interview was with the Chicago director. The first thing I noticed was that it's not a professional-looking office at all; it's basically a sketchy-looking studio with a couple of (empty) cubicles--that should have been my warning signal. There is no sign on the door to the office that indicates that it's the Environment America office. The interviewer was very rude, 20 minutes late for the interview, and asked intrusive questions that really made me question the ethics of the organization. The interview was heavily geared towards policy and the interviewer sneered at my resume, which made me question why they were wasting my time with an interview in the first place. For an 80+ work week that consists of knocking on people's doors and 20k salary you'd think they'd be grateful to have anyone apply at all. Overall, not worth it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Environment America (Washington, DC).

Interview

There was an online application. After I submitted the online application, about a month later there was a phone interview that lasted for about an hour. Then there was a group interview in DC about 20 applicants were there. There were several parts to the interview (group discussion/planning, public speaking, petition gathering, two one-on-one interviews and a questionnaire).

Interview Questions

• I can't remember. All the questions seemed pretty normal (long-term goals, why are you applying, etc).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Environment America (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and heard back quickly to set up a phone interview. The interview lasted around 30 minutes and then I was told to fill out a questionnaire and that I would hear back about a second round interview.

Digital Campaign Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Environment America (Oxford, OH) in February 2018.

Interview

The interviewer was pleasant, but didn't appear to have read my resume before. The questions were vague and it was hard to know exactly what they were looking for. There was also an uncomfortable moment where they tried to gauge if you could support yourself in an expensive city on $20,000.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Environment America in March 2018.

Interview

The application process requires you to write responses to several short answer questions. I think they wanted to get a sense of written communication skills, and how much you align with the mission of the organization. I felt like they were really trying to get a sense of how well I would fit in the role, which I appreciated.

The first round phone interview asked a few generic interview questions but was primarily an informational conversation about the role and the expectations.
    The interviewer was easy to talk to, overall good conversationist, and I got a good impression of the organization.
    With the first round done, I'm waiting for the second round interview in person

Interview Questions

• Describe an obstacle you've faced and how you overcame it   1 Answer

Environment America Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Environment America.

Interview

I sent in my application through their website and was contacted a few days later for a phone interview. My phone interviewer was late to call me, and after this interview I was invited to do a group interview, although I couldn't attend. Instead I had a one on one interview in the DC office. After they interview they said they would get back to me in two weeks. No one contacted me after a month, and it does not seem like they will let me know either way.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to build a campaign for clean water in a community, threw roadblocks in the process, and were very critical of my solutions.   Answer Question

Environment America Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Environment America (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview process was pretty fast. I applied online and received an email the next day requesting a phone interview with a link to the schedule. The phone interview was standard, mostly informational, but not with someone from EA but rather one of the PIRGS (which is understandable because they are the same umbrella organization). Interview went well, and I heard back a week or so later requesting a more formal skype interview. I scheduled a time but never received the skype name of the woman who was going to contact me. so right before the interview I called HR 4 times and no answer, and then 5 minutes past our scheduled time she skyped me. Interview went well, standard questions, very similar to the phone interview

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Environment America?   Answer Question
    • They explain the low salary and ask you to justify if you are the type of person that can handle that.   Answer Question
    • Apart from everything you've told me, what are other skills that you think I should know about that would make you good at this organization?   Answer Question