Environmental Defense Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 15, 2017

2.9

Events and Outreach Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Environmental Defense (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online. It took me about a week to hear back from the office. I want to talk more about the process before the interview, because I never made it to the interview. They asked me to set up a time for an interview. I was going to be out of the country during the time and date that they suggested, so I sincerely asked whether they would be free after I come back. They said yes.

However, I heard back from them on the week of the interview date that they have selected another candidate. It was very disrespectful of them to cancel the interview this late. If they had told me earlier, I could have spent my time differently. They should understand that if their time is important, so is the candidates' time.
    If they felt that they could not wait until I came back from abroad, they could have told me that they can only interview me earlier, or that they cannot interview me because they need to make a decision earlier.

Climate Corp Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Environmental Defense in February 2017.

Interview

EDF outsourced another firm to conduct the interview due to the large number of applicants every year. Interviewees will be tested on some behavioral and analytical questions and a case study on their first round.

EDF Climate Corps Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Environmental Defense (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

2 Interviews. The first one with technical questions based on analysis of a case study they sent a week before the interview. The second one with a cultural approach, aimed at analyzing the "fit" of candidates.

Interview Questions

• Calculate energy consumption of a site, and estimate savings from LED retrofits.   Answer Question

Legal Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Environmental Defense (New York, NY).

Interview

I met with three of the supervising attorneys and we discussed why I was looking to intern for their company and my legal interests. I don't think they were tough at all but were very friendly and seemed just to get a sense of why I wanted to be there.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to intern with EDF?   1 Answer

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Environmental Defense (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Brought in for an interview, then asked to come back in two weeks later to meet with a panel of people. people were friendly and intelligent though it was difficult to express my qualifications effectively because the primary interviewer was unavailable.

Fisheries Policy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Environmental Defense (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Had a video Skype interview with the hiring manager on the West Coast. The interview was casual and easygoing. He let me tell my story of my previous professional experiences and they asked questions along the way to gauge how applicable those experiences/skillsets are to the job at hand. It was more like we were having a conversation, rather than a formal Q&A interview.

Interview Questions

• This job requires a lot of independent work that requires a lot of self-motivation. How do you handle that type of work?   1 Answer

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Environmental Defense (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

An hour long phone interview with an outside interviewing company. It was a screening call to ask about experience and skills, so they were not able to answer questions about the work environment. The interview was fairly straight forward.

Water Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Environmental Defense (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Filled out an online application and was contacted about a week later for an initial phone interview to take place within the next few days. The interview was about 30 minutes, 20 of which were spent answering questions, the last 10 were left for me to ask questions about the position/company. I was told I would hear back by the end of the week or the start of the following week. I did not hear anything by the dates specified, so I sent a follow-up email. I still have yet to hear back from the company a month later, but the job posting was removed. Highly unprofessional. Either the position was given to someone else, or they lost funding for the position. Either way they did not have the courtesy of letting me know. I would not be surprised if they lost funding because I had already interviewed for another internship with the company a couple weeks prior, and they told me they lost funding for it.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.

Tell me what you know about groundwater.

What were your favorite and least favorite courses and why?

What courses did you take that are relevant to this position?
      Answer Question

EDF Climate Corps Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Environmental Defense (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online and stated three referrals (two must be professional). Received invitation request in three weeks. EDF hired an agency to conduct all the recruitment.The agency reached out in another 3 weeks to set up a time to skype interview. The interview included a case discussion. Three cases with questions were sent to me and I had to pick one and prepare for discussion.

The first round interview last around 25 minutes. Asked some behavioral questions such as tell me about yourself, why EDF, your experience in financial modeling. Also asked some technical questions such as what is NPV, how many kw is saved with LED light bulb. Then went through the case. Questions in the case were asked.

After I completed the first interview, I immediately received a request for second one. The second interview is mainly about understanding my preference. I was asked about the management style that I feel comfortable working with, what my long term career goal is and what industry I want to work in etc.

Then they opened the engagement list and asked me to list my 5 top choices. I submitted my choices and they came back and told me that they will move me to the next round of match.

The interview process overall is good. The recruiting agency is professional and organized. I was well prepared and did everything right. However the hosting company has the final saying in whether they will take you as their fellow. My background does not really fit the position even though I did a lot of work to educate myself. In that way, I felt that EDF didn't do a good job selling the candidates.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your manager does not respond to you?   Answer Question

EDF Climate Corps Fellowship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Environmental Defense in January 2016.

Interview

The EDF Climate Corps Fellowship changed their selection process in 2015. There are now 2 application rounds. I applied to the first application round, received an interview, and moved on to be a "finalist." After EDF released the 100 or so host organizations in February, I rated my top 5 host organizations. The matching team spent a week placing candidates with host organizations but I wasn't matched with one of my top five. I was moved to the second round pool of finalists to repeat the matching process with the host organizations that were left but none interested me.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you respond if someone from your host organization walked up to you at an office party and asked you "You don't really believe in this climate change thing, do you?"   Answer Question