Environmental Protection Agency Environmental Protection Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Environmental Protection Agency (Colorado Springs, CO) in September 2016.

Interview

I received an email about the request for an interview for the Pathways Program (Recent Graduates) Environmental Protection Specialist postion where I was given the option of interview times available, and I picked one. On the day of, there were 3 people interviewing me via telephone for a first interview. They were all friendly and introduced themselves to me as to who they were and what their job titles were within the EPA. The interview lasted about 25 minutes and they all took turns asking me situational type questions. Have you ever...or what would you do..or how did you overcome a certain situation in the past? Each time, they would ask clarifying questions if need be and then take a minute to write things down. After they asked about 9 questions and let me answer, they let me ask a few questions. Overall, it was a difficult interview for me being that I was on the phone and I was essentially being timed. I think they were just trying to find out my morals and character. This was on 09/07/16, and I was told I should here something late this week 9/16/16 if I was chosen for a second interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever jumped into something not knowing what you were getting yourself into? How did you handle it? How did you overcome it?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Environmental Protection Agency

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Environmental Protection Agency (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied using my Noncompetitive Eligibility status for federal hire from Peace Corps service. Got an initial phone interview with 5 division reps and a supervisor. They explained the process and introduced themselves. Very structured phone interview, lasted about 25 minutes. Mix of hypothetical and experiential questions. They did not want to receive questions at the end.

Interview Questions

• What makes you the ideal candidate for Region 9 office?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to explain a highly technical concept to an audience that is not familiar with it? how did you do it?   Answer Question
    • Have you worked in an environment in which you were surrounded by a lot of conflict? Explain how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • If you're working on a project that is due Monday and it is Friday and you realize that half your team members are behind on their parts, what do you do? you may use personal experience or address it hypothetically.   Answer Question

Timing was off, as I still had to finish my masters degree.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Environmental Protection Agency (Arlington, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

It was a pleasant panel interview in which each person that was hiring from different divisions took turns asking questions that I answered. They first started by introducing themselves and finally I had time to ask them more questions. Overall good interview. I was told that I'd hear back from them but given no date.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?
      How have you acted as a leader in your previous job?
      What is your proudest achievement in your previous job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Environmental Protection Agency (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Interview was a board of 4. 1 supervisor, 2 peers, 1 HR Rep. Total time was 45 min. They had 10 questions printed on a list that they handed me and told me to answer. Very little talking on their part. I felt they were more intimidated than I was. Overall a pretty easy and fairly stress free interview.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Environmental Protection Agency (Washington, DC).

Interview

Went through a series of phone interviews with 4 team members, then in-person interviews with 3 team members, the immediate supervisor, and Director. The group's culture was a good fit, and the staff with whom I interviewed were very personable and interested in how I could contribute to the group.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very little room for negotiation.

Environmental Protection Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Environmental Protection Agency.

Interview

Called in for an in-person interview. One-on-one interview with the division supervisor. She mainly asked questions about my resume and previous experience. The entire interview lasted about a half hour. Within three or four days I was submitted a written offer.

Negotiation

It was an internship, so there really wasn't a negotiation phase.

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Environmental Protection Agency (Research Triangle Park, NC) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied for an summer internship and had a phone interview with the department head and hiring manager over the phone. They discussed the roles of the job and asked a few questions about my studies, interests, and background. I was pretty overqualified because I have a law degree as well as a masters in natural resources so I don't think they needed to ask too many questions. They were very pleasant and I think you can do well as long as you are knowledgeable about your field.

Interview Questions

• Why are you intererested in working for the EPA?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Environmental Protection Agency (Boston, MA) in January 2012.

Interview

The position opening was communicated to me through my network of environmental colleagues. I submitted the standard federal forms an then completed two interviews. The first interview was with the key office contact who was conducting an initial screening interview. The three finalists, including me, conducted a second interview, a Q&A session, with ten office representatives. In addition, three references were contacted.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the EPA? This isn't really that unexpected but it is a difficult question because working with a federal agency has it's pros and cons.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The biggest negotiation was where to be placed on the federal General Service schedule, which includes clerical workers at GS7 to 8, entry level employees at GS9, and top management at GS15. In addition, each GS level consists of 10 steps. Unfortunately, there isn't much room to negotiate around these entry terms (such is the stolid nature of the federal government). In hind sight, it would have been wise to stipulate an expectation for a maximum GS level, which then could be used leverage future promotions.

Environmental Protection Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Environmental Protection Agency in June 2011.

Interview

I was contacted for an interview after passing the evaluation process through USA Jobs. I was highly qualified for the job position, but thought it strange they were classifying the position as a Environmental Protection Specialist, which requires no degree. The interview itself consisted of two individuals in person and about four people on the phone. They each had a list of questions....it was weird taking the questions from the phone interviewers. They mostly asked me general questions which could be answered in "yes" or "no" , but I thoroughly elaborated on my responses. The only technical question came from one of the phone interviewers, "How would I go about evaluating a permit application?" I have over 20 years of permitting experience so I know I nailed that respons. There was not one question that I stumbled on and I have not received a rejection letter after 2 months (which is also weird). The only thing that I can guess is that they have some non-degreed candidate earmarked for the position. I am a current federal employee and if I scored higher than their intended candidate they may be waiting for the list to expire because I don't think they can hire below me.