Epic Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Project Manager/Implementation Consultant

Epic Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at Epic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in October 2010.

Interview

Phone Interview qualified me for a site visit where I spent two days in Madison. WI. One full day of interviewing from morning till afternoon consisted of a tour of the campus, a presentation of the software, a case interview, a presentation on a topic of my choice, an interview with a HR recruiter, group lunch with other candidates, and in finale, a math/qualitative/logical skills assessment taking about 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince a manager at a hospital that your solution will help them? What if they continually pushback?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Epic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in October 2010.

Interview

I met a recruiter and had a brief 1 on 1 interview. After discussing my resumé and education (5 years experience in project management + previous implementation as a contractor), she said that I was ideal for the job. About 2 weeks later I got an email sating that they wanted to interview me for the PM and Implementation Coordinator positions asking me to complete a profile and online personality test. I did these things and then went on to a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled. I was surprised that the first question they asked was about my SAT/ACT scores (their recruiter asked this as well). I told them again and then the interviewer asked me why I would be a good candidate for the job. I then asked her which position this was for since I had applied for 2 different jobs. She said it was for the PM position. At this point, Epic had asked me twice about high-school test scores, had me complete a personality test, and still had not sent me (or made available) any sort of job description, even though I asked for this from the recruiter and the interview coordinator.
    They asked me about relative experience and I explained my background in information management and my familiarity with their industry and competitors. At NO TIME did they ask me anything thought provoking or challenging. I was stunned that their HR department seemed more into verifying SAT scores than actually reading a detailed/concise resumé. It was also weird that they would go through such lengths to recruit people who had never seen a job description. Further, the interviewer did not know the salary range for this position. Based on the interview experience, if their PM office is anything like their HR department, I'm glad I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• What were your SAT/ACT scores?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in November 2010.

Interview

First, I applied online by submitting my resume and cover letter. Then, I got an email about taking the Rembrandt Profile (a personality test). Then, I got an email about scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was really short (about 20 minutes) and the man on the phone asked me about how I found out about the position, what other relevant positions I might want to apply for, my ACT/SAT/other test scores, and why I wanted to work at Epic/this particular position.

Later, I got an email about scheduling an on-site interview. I scheduled it and went to Madison. On the night before the interview, a current Epic employee took about 5 of us candidates out to dinner (a place of her choosing). The day of the interview, we got an overview of the company, a demo of the software, a tour of one of the buildings. Then, I had a case interview (one on one). I was able to read the case and take notes for about 15 minutes, and then the woman came in and asked me what the issues are and what I would do to problem solve. Then, I had lunch with an employee and a couple of other candidates. Then, I had an interview with my recruiter (the HR lady) where I was asked questions around my personality. Finally, I took the skills assessment in math, english, and programming.

The people seem great and the work culture seems awesome. Some blog entries turn me off a little, about poor management and burn out.

Interview Questions

• What are 5 things you are not? What would your references say is a good and bad thing about you? How assertive are you? Give an example.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in February 2010.

Interview

Important:
    Skills test
    Presentation
    Showing that you have the right sort of "Type A" personality during the HR general one-on-one (no tough/unexpected questions)

Not important/hard:
    Dinner the night before
    Case study
    Lunch/informal interviews (with current Epic PM)
    Initial personality test

Be relaxed and friendly during your presentation. Show you have a sense of humor. I got the feeling that they were really looking for young people who are polished, articulate and quick on their feet enough to appear credible to hospital staff skeptical about Epic PM's youth.

Interview Questions

• If you know someone has made a mistake, would you tell them? Rate on a scale of 1-10.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in August 2010.

Interview

I applied online, submitting my resume & cover letter. Within 1 week I had a phone interview. It was informal & took about 40 minutes. The focus was on my education background & not my work experience, but there were a few questions asked about my experience. I was asked for my start dates and graduation dates from college and graduate school, if I completed undegrad in 4 years, why I chose my course of study, etc. I was also asked if I went directly from HS to undergrad. This shouldn't have been asked & raised some red flags to me - essentially that type of question can be used to roughly figure out a candidate's age, which then raises the issue of age discrimination during the hiring process (I'm not saying it does or does not happen). The questions about my job history were basic - what did you enjoy most at your past/current employer, why did you leave one job to go to another, etc.
    After 2 days, I was contacted to set up an on-site visit. I was flown out, put up in the Madison Concourse Hotel & had all my meals & transportation covered. I had dinner with an Epic employee (partly for a free meal & partly to learn more about Epic outside the "corporate setting"). When you arrive for your interview/visit, the new campus is amazing, I've never been on a corporate campus that compares to the park like setting they have developed. After you check in, you meet up with a group of other candidates for the initial activities (every candidate I met had just graduated from college). Here's what to expect during the day: 1) A corporate overview, it provided a minimal amount of information on Epic & the industry that isn't currently available to the public. 2) A "campus tour" consisting of walking through the main building & looking out the windows at the campus. 3) A product demo of the end user functionality of the software (it's not anything special). 4) A "position overview" with 2 other candidates from a current project manager. You'll get a better feel for the position, but the information will still be rather vague (i.e. a question like "what's the travel schedule really like?" gets the boiler plate 50% to 60% travel). 5) A 1:1 interview with a project manager to discuss a very banal situation analysis. You get the opportunity to ask questions of this interviewer though & from this interview I was given some travel specifics - it depends on what the customer will pay for, you may travel 3 days a wk every wk (leaving Mon. returning Thurs. night) until the installation is complete - that's not 50-60%, that's darn near 100% - or you may travel very little. 6) A 10 minute presentation; nothing to be worried about if you pick a topic your knowledgeable on. 7) Skills assessment tests (you may have done these already). These are nothing terrible, but can be a bit tricky. 8) Lunch with a project manager. 9) A wrap-up/final interview with an HR recruiter. The HR recruiter will ask you some odd questions like "name 5 things you are not." All in all, the interview process isn't out of the ordinary.
    Ten days after the visit I was told that I'd be getting an offer & that I needed to fill out some information for a background check before the offer could be made.

Some other impressions of the company/position I got from the visit:
    1.Epic is a very young company. I'm in my mid-late 20s & felt old walking around the campus. My guess is that at least 66% of employees were hired right out of college with no job experience & are under the age of 26.
    2. Epic truly means it when they say casual dress. I don't mean casual like jeans & a polo, I'm talking "oh crap I'm late for class/work! What's on my floor that looks clean?" causal. I saw a very high number of employees in shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops (much of which was dirty looking, faded, ripped, etc.). Also, many employees had scraggly, unkempt long hair and/or facial hair & numerous facial piercing (not just earrings). It looked more like a college campus than a business.
    3. The project manager position is really a field based operations position. But you have to live in Madison, everyone does. Think about traveling from a small regional airport every week, & imagine the problems that can cause (my flight out was delayed an hour because they couldn't get another plane quickly, causing me to miss my connection - we had no weather related problems).
    4. Very secretive, as evidenced by all employees having to sign a non-compete (not just those with knowledge of the proprietary coding) that isn't totally enforceable.
    5. Based on information from people on campus I talked with, the project manager position has a very high turnover/burnout rate. Given that, do you really want to have to move to Madison where there is no industry (meaning you'd have to move again to find another job)?

Interview Questions

There are a number of reasons the I declines the offer. As an aside, while being presented the package I had to refrain from laughing as most of the "perks" are the same at any company. Overall, the offer was underwhelming (especially the pay for my background).

1. Pay offered was $66,000 with a built in $2,000 raise upon completing your training (basically an incentive to train, but the offer is presented initially w/ the higher number, which is a bit deceptive). For someone with an MBA, relevant and recent job experience (plus being currently employed) who would have to move his family across the country from the CA coast to the middle of WI, $68,000 in base pay was laughable. From what I understand new grad don't get offered nearly that much (think closer to $55K). Believe me, you can live in better parts of the country than central WI and make more money with fewer qualification than mine.

2. They offer 401K matching of 50% to your contributions up to the first 6% of your income that you contribute - any company worth its weight offers this exact same thing (Epic presented this as a unique benefit).

3. Stock appreciation rights - not totally sure how this works within a private company, but at almost any pubic company you can purchase stock through an ESPP at a discounted rate (and sell it at full market value, thus making you $$). At Epic it sounded like you'd have to pay full price for the stock you buy, and there is no "public market" to sell it to (and seemingly never will be as the company never intends to go public).

4. Health care options are alright. While you pay no deductible, no copay and nearly all medical costs are covered 100%, the amount deducted from a pay check for a family isn't significantly different from most other companies and your RX costs are basically the same as with the plans at other companies.

5. Your health care providers are limited to one of three HMOs Epic contracts with (no PPO options). None of these had great accessibility outside of the immediate Madison area, not even in Verona. Personally, I hate HMOs as they tend to be inefficient and a pain in the butt to deal with. Needless to say, this was another big turn off for me.

6. Bonuses for a project manager are screwy and not performance based. You get travel bonuses that begin after your 15th trip to a customer site (if you travel every week to 1 site, that comes out to traveling every week for 3 months and 3 weeks straight to get your fist bonus) and another bonus that begins after spending 40 days at customer sites (assuming 3 days a week at a site, your looking at more than 3 months again before you get a bonus). But there is nothing based on the quality of the job you do (or the time frame of completion). That tells you how much they expect you to travel and how little your actual performance matters. It also means very little work-life balance.

7. You have to live in the Madison area regardless of your position. This makes little sense for sales reps and project managers as they are expected to travel and at any other company would be field based employees. Why not have regional office locations for the field folks if you really want them in an office?

8. When hired, regardless of experience, a project manager is first an application coordinator, reporting to an application manager. I was older, had more education and more experienced than every application manager I met. Now why would I want to go work for a "boss" with less education and less experience who is younger than me?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in January 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to apply for the "Problem-Solver (Technical Services/Customer Consultant)" position. I submitted an online application for Project Manager/Implementation Consultant, completed a Rembrandt profile, and had a phone interview approximately one week later. Eight days later, I was invited for an on-site interview, and visited Epic approximately ten days after that.

The on site interview consisted of a company overview, software demonstration, two small group meetings with current employees, two one-on-one case study based interviews, a ten minute presentation to four current employees, an hour long interview with an HR representative, and three assessments. Some of the other candidates had already completed the assessments before arriving at Epic, but I had no idea about them until that morning.

The assessments consisted of one SAT Math type problem set, one SAT Verbal type problem set, and one programming based problem set. All assessments were scored based on the speed and accuracy of the answers, so I was told to complete them as correctly and quickly as possible. As a result, I made a couple of educated guesses rather than spending ten minutes on a single problem and deriving the correct answer. The math assessment included some number puzzles. The verbal assessment included analogies, correcting improper grammar in given sentences, and a verbal reasoning section. The programming assessment led me through a fictional language and asked what certain functions would return, if anything.

I received an offer three business days later. The offer was towards the upper end of my salary expectations.

Interview Questions

I'm still considering the offer, but there were certain aspects of the work that I did not like. The employees seem like they are worked very hard, and the consultants seem to have little personal time even when they are not traveling. Although a casual dress code is nice, I felt it was a bit too casual at Epic. I saw some employees with wrinkled clothing, wet or unkempt hair, etc. The average age of the workers seems to be upper twenties, which to me seems a bit young.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in December 2010.

Interview

I was first contacted by Epic via email after a friend referred me. They asked for my resume and said they would potentially offer me a phone interview. Two days after submitting my resume, a had an informal 30 minute phone interview with a current employee and discussed my background, goals, why I wanted to join Epic, what positions I was interested in; basically just walked her through my resume. They told me they would respond within two weeks concerning an on site interview.

The next day a recruiter called me and offered me an on site interview for both the Project Manager and Technical Services positions. After speaking with other interviewees, it seems they asked just about everyone to interview for two different positions. I had a three week window to pick the best date for me. I am local, so I can't speak to the travel/hotel arrangements, however I was reimbursed for gas. I was offered a hotel room because of the weather conditions, so I could split my trip into two days if I wanted to, but I opted not to.

The campus was absolutely unbelievable, each building has a theme such as heaven, western, east asian, etc. The features in each building were out of Disney world, it definitely makes for an interesting work atmosphere. The company is extremely young, most of my interviewers had worked there for just 4-5 years. There is no dress code, and every single person I encountered throughout the process was genuinely friendly and helpful.

I arrived at 8:30 AM and was seated with about 8 other interviewees. They gave us a schedule, we were each introduced to a recruiter and then showed to waiting area with coffee and snacks. All of us were taken to a conference room and told the company's background and given a software demonstration.

My later morning consisted of a 2:1 and 3:1 informational interview with an employee in each of the positions I was interviewing for. Then I had about an hour and a half to take 3 skills tests, a quantitative assessment, a verbal assessment, and a logic-based computer programming test (no programming background required, it's much more if x means a, and y means b, what does xy mean? etc.) They were each about 20 questions.

After the tests I had lunch with an employee (the food is great, and cheap). We were given a short tour and then returned to the waiting area for the second half of the day.

I had a 1:1 interview with a more senior employee for each position. At the beginning of both interviews I was given a sheet with a certain work-related situation laid out in story form, and was given 10 minutes to assess it and plan my day, priorities, ideas, etc. Each interview was a half hour long and both interviewers were very pleasant..

After those interviews I had to give a 10 minute presentation to three employees on any topic of my choosing. After that, i had a final interview with my recruiter and discussed things like salary, relocation, and which job I preferred.

After 4 business days I was contacted by my recruiter and extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name 5 things you aren't.

What question didn't I ask you that I should have?   Answer Question
    • There are three buckets, one with apples, one with oranges, and one with a mixture of both. They are all labeled wrong. You can pick one piece of fruit from one bucket, what would you pick to determine what is in all three buckets?   4 Answers

Negotiation

Salary is individual. You will be asked several times how much you would like to make, so do your salary research prior to the interview and have a number in your head before you go into it. They extended me an offer within my range, and I know that to be true for multiple people. I was happy with my offer, so I felt no need to negotiate, but I imagine there is some wiggle room, likely more if you have another offer on the table.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in October 2010.

Interview

I believe there was a phone screening that led to a phone interview. These two were pretty basic and asked all the questions you'd expect in an average interview. For the final round, on-site in Verona, there were 2 1-1 interviews, an individual case study on how to manage multiple conflicting parties in a decision, from a manager's perspective, a presentation that you must give to a panel of 3 employees, and a personality and IQ test (which I took on-site, but depending on your school you may take them on campus).

The interview was about 6 hours for me which included about 2 hours of testing, but most of them last about 4 hours I believe. The campus was really cool (think Googlesque). Each building had its own theme, dress was extremely casual, people were Midwest-friendly, food was good, and the company seems like it has a strong hold on its industry and vision for the future.

Epic is expanding rapidly and seems like a great company to work for, although I'm not entirely sure how great vertical movement is within the company. The only downside is its in Verona (Madison), Wisconsin (coming from San Diego), but the people who work there work there for an extended amount of time on average. It seems that there is high burnout particularly for this position, just an observation.

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in March 2011.

Interview

Dropped Resume at a career fair and got a call about 2 weeks later from a project manager about the Job. Really informal and a week later got an e-mail about a fly out. Epic want to be secretive about their interview process to ease everyone's tension, and in my opinion it works. Other reviews on this site detail the process well. Every single person I met was really nice and made you feel right at home. In addition their campus is beautiful and casual dress code was a plus. Got offered a week later and accepted. Seems like a lot of work, but rewarding.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No I didn't need to. They paid me more than I asked for so I was fine with the initial offer. I had the opportunity to interview at a couple other place over the following weeks, but didn't because I could not envision myself anywhere else but Epic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in February 2011.

Interview

I was really unimpressed with Epic's interview process. The one-on-one interview was very straightforward - the questions listed here about aggressiveness and strengths/weaknesses were all asked. I was told I would hear within two weeks, and sent a follow-up email to which I never received any sort of response. About a month later, I heard from a different HR employee via email saying they wanted to have a phone interview with me for a different position than the one that I had applied to. I explained that I had already interviewed, and again asked to be put in touch with my initial interviewer. By the time I received word from them (two weeks after this), I had already received and accepted another offer (the initial interview for which occurred two full weeks after Epic's initial interview). All of the employees I spoke with seemed very nice, but the company is very "college-y" and just doesn't seem to have its act together.

Interview Questions

• Rate yourself on an aggressiveness scale and describe a time that you showed assertiveness.   Answer Question