Epic Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Epic Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at Epic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in March 2011.

Interview

For anyone with previous work experience, the interview process with Epic is a joke. I applied online, where I raised my eyebrows at having to provide my ACT score. I had a telephone interview shortly after applying. There was very little discussion about my work experience and background, but instead the recruiter tried to sell me on the Project Manager position. The weirdest question she asked was "Did you go to college straight out of high school or did you take some time off?" What does that really matter? You can see from my resume that I attended a top notch business school and had a high gpa. I can't help but feel that they were age profiling me.

I was invited for an on-site interview and reluctanty agreed to go. I was just getting a weird vibe from my minimal interactions by that point. The day before I had drafted an email to cancel my interview, but then curiousty got the best of me and I decided to check it out. I wish I hadn't wasted my time. I showed up that morning and joined a HUGE group of college student recruits. I felt ridiculously out of place with my mere 4 years of work experience. We were given a tour of the campus, which is beautiful, but not beautiful enough for me to want to join the Epic cult. They then gave us a software demo and I was shocked by how antiquated the program's interface looks. The rest of the day consisted of giving a 10 minute presentation, role overviews, 2+ hours of written assessments, lunch with the college kids, and a mere hour of actual interviewing. I felt like I had no opportunity to talk about what I can actually bring to the table. Basically the vibe I got was that they don't want anyone with too much outside experience because they want naive newbies to come in, drink the kool-aide, and have no work-life balance. My mood turned sour about mid-day and I started getting pretty salty with the recruiters. I wouldn't work there unless I was desparate, plain and simple.

Interview Questions

• You have a bouquet of flowers. All but two are roses, all but two are daisies, and all but two are tulips. How many flowers do you have?   43 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Epic

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in February 2011.

Interview

I had an online personality type profile then a phone interview a week later. After the phone interview I was offered to come up to Madison which they also paid for (which I thought was great). I went up Monday, had dinner with a group of four recruits (also paid for) then stayed in a nice hotel (paid for) and had breakfast next morning (included).
    Drove over to Epic and had a day of interviews, assessment/intelligence tests, and a presentation (on anything I wanted). We also had lunch with a current employee which was laid back and enjoyable. Cafeteria was pretty awesome, food was great and (although covered) my entire meal would've been about $4.50, not bad at all.
    The day began at 9 and ended around 3:30. I personally hate interviews because you're usually in a suit feeling uncomfortable and nervous but this wasn't as such. Suggested to wear casual clothes which I did and felt much more relaxed. I'd suggest you be yourself and enjoy the process (if you can aford two days off). Even if I didn't receive an offer (which I did about three days later) I would've enjoyed the two day paid adventure and interview experience.
    I'd also recommend not putting too much stock into other reviews because it really depends on the position you are applying for at Epic. Remember there is a lot of travel associated with this position so if you aren't prepared to be gone Monday-thursday then don't apply (at least for this position). Keep in mind they interview a lot of people and invite even fewer to Madison. Then (from what I heard) they hire about 10% of the interviewees. Last year they received 150,000 resumes, brought in about 5,000 total to Madsion, and hired about 400. You do the math. But the people on here angry at the process/not being hired I don't understand. If you read this site for 30 minutes you pretty much know the interview process front to back. So go with your best foot forward and enjoy the experience.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions from HR were fairly standard, all I'd recommend is knowing your resume info and being confident in your answers. Strengths/weaknesses/time you had to resolve a conflict/etc   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, I felt the offer was right about what I was looking for and with the additional perks I was happy with the offer.ft

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in February 2011.

Interview

The process was pretty much as other people have described: phone interview, flown to Madison, day of interviewing/tests, offer two weeks later. However, I would add that the recruiter and everyone I interviewed with was very up front with the nature of the position, the hours, the amount of travel, and the pay. I'm still somewhat skeptical, but it was an overall positive experience and I was impressed with the company and the offer.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in February 2011.

Interview

Started interview process by talking to a recruiter at our spring career fair. She filled out a sheet with my name, majors, GPA, ACT score (which I found strange), and desired role. About a week after I received an e-mail to schedule a phone interview. Also in the e-mail was a short personality test. Following the 30 minute phone interview I received another e-mail asking me to come in for a final interview a week and a half later. The final interview included a demonstration of the software, a small group break-out with a current PM/IS employee, tour of the corporate campus, presentation, lunch in a small group with other interviewees and current employee, two 1:1 interviews, and a skills test. All in all it was a six hour process. I received an offer a week after my interview.

Interview Questions

• How aggressive would you rate yourself in person to person dialogue? Followed up by questions relating to how you would deal with team members who you struggled to work with.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given the opportunity to state my desired salary. Upon receiving my offer I did not negotiate as it was above my previously stated desired salary and all other benefits were extremely competitive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in February 2011.

Interview

First I was contacted to have a phone interview, where I spoke to someone at HR for about 20 minutes. It was pretty straightforward, and like people have said, they asked about SAT scores which for some people is hard to remember off the bat. I wish it was more personable, but it just seemed like she was just asking questions off of a list. Then I got called in for an on-site interview, which consisted of a tour, software demo, 3-on-1 chat with a current project manager, 1-on-1 interview with a project manager, a presentation, and a 1-on-1 with an HR person. Got there the night before, had dinner with an Epic employee and another person interviewing the next day, but they were both TI, so I didn't feel like I learned much from it. The interviews went fine, the presentation was probably where I did badly because I wasn't sure where I was on time during the whole thing. But the people were really nice, seemed like a great culture to work in, and the buildings provide a really creative atmosphere.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in February 2011.

Interview

I applied to Epic in December 2010 to be a Technical Writer. After going through the personality test and phone interview, Epic sent a skills assessment to a local proctor, which I took in January. I heard back from them a few weeks later, and they invited me on-site to interview for both the Technical Writer and Project Manager positions. They flew me up to Madison in late February, put me up at a nice hotel, and took me to dinner the night before the interview with some of the other recruits.

The interview day is very much an endurance test. Since I interviewed for two positions, my entire day, start to finish, was a grueling 7 hours. Epic schedules your day and sets you up with an HR representative, who conducts your behavioral interview and becomes your main contact after the interview day. First, I had a tour of the campus with several of the other recruits. Next, we had a demonstration of the software, then another recruit and me spoke with a writer and project manager for 30 minutes each. These are informal meetings where you can ask the people in the roles about their work and what you can expect if hired.

After this, I had my interview with a technical writer. This interview was a series of situational questions and had little to do with actual writing. Next, I gave a presentation to my HR representative and two other folks. They give you 10 minutes to set up if you have any props or need any sort of preparation. After the presentation, I had lunch with some of the other recruits and a project manager.

After lunch, I had two more interviews, one that was a case study with a project manager and one that was a behavioral interview with an HR representative. During the HR interview, my representative asked me which position I preferred and salary expectations in addition to basic behavioral questions. Finally, at the end of the day, I had a pretty extensive writing test.

The folks at Epic are a laid back and casual bunch, and the average age must be in the mid- to late-20s. Everyone I met during my interview day was courteous and helpful. They are very receptive to questions and concerns, likely because they were in the interviewee's spot not so long ago. The company itself seems to take care of its employees, and the employees seem to be loyal to the company as a result.

If you are interviewing with Epic, be sure to get a good night's sleep before the interview day so that you are ready for the long day of meeting people, interviewing, and being tested, especially if you are interviewing for more than one position. Additionally, do not treat your fellow recruits as competition; Epic has a huge number of openings, and there may be a good chance that the other recruits will be your co-workers sometime soon. Most importantly, have fun on your interview day. Joke around with your fellow recruits, be friendly to the Epic staff, and just have a good time. Also, dress casually to your interview. Jeans and a nice-looking shirt are more than enough.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you made a decision that turned out to be the wrong choice.   Answer Question

Negotiation

During my behavioral interview, my HR rep asked me to give salary expectations for the Project Manager and Technical Writer positions. I gave a range for both, which I thought were competitive on the lower ends and generous on the upper ends. My offer, which was for Project Manager, was substantially more than the upper end of the range I gave.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Epic (Des Moines, IA) in December 2010.

Interview

1) Applied online
    2) Phone interview
    3) Onsite Interview
    a) Skill/ Iq test.
    b) Presentation(any topic u like- 10 mins)
    c) 1: 1 interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in March 2011.

Interview

All of the previous reviews provide an accurate depiction of what to expect if you're being interviewed by Epic for Technical & Implementation roles.

Really hoped to get an on-site interview after I took the skills test, but was denied the opportunity. Great company, though.

Good luck everyone!

Interview Questions

• Programming questions build off of one another.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied online one night. 2 business days later they invited me to take a personality screening online. It isn't too hard, and it's kind of weird because it forces you to make some decisions where neither choice applies. 3 business days later I had an unscheduled phone interview.

I had a phone interview 1 week after I applied online. It was very basic - everyone else has described the entire process really well if that's what you want to know. They'll ask about your SAT score, whether or not you went straight to college from high school (basically how old are you?), how you heard about Epic, and what you've been up to since graduation.

I was immediately invited for a final round interview the next week. They flew me out the day before and had me stay at a hotel where some of the other candidates stayed as well. At night they took us out to dinner - about 3 or 4 of us to an Epic employee. Very casual - I don't think they had any decision-making authority with regards to your outcome.

The next morning I had a long interview process while they intermittently told us about the company and their campus. DO NOT WEAR A SUIT. I wore slacks, a dress shirt, and a sweater, and I felt over-dressed even wit that. I would suggest slacks and a dress shirt so you give off the vibe that your'e serious and professional, without being over-dressed. I won't get into too much detail about their information. My first interview was a case interview with an implementation consultant where they gave you a sheet and you had to prioritize which issue (and why) you would address in which order. You were asked to write all of that down, but when it came down to the last 10 minutes, we didn't really talk that much about my reasoning. At the end the interviewer started incorporating in some behavioral questions. Again, these questions have already been described in detail by everyone else on this forum.

After this I had a presentation to give for 10 minutes. This wasn't bad either - I timed myself. They periodically asked questions, but they seemed kind of forced (unnatural) in my case. After this I went in for my final interview.

This one was fully behavioral as well with one of the HR members. Again, the questions were very scripted and you can get all of them if you read through these interview evaluations. The only weird question is "what are 5 things you are not?". They also ask you for a specific salary range you are expecting, should you be given a job offer. Most people typically say 50k ish, and they are usually pleasantly surprised by the offers. I have heard from friends who work here that the offer is typically big 4 consulting pay with similar hours expectations as well. I believe I said around 70k, figuring they would just be lower than that with their offer.

We then went to lunch at Epic's cafeteria - again, pretty chill. You can eat whatever you want on Epic's tab, even though employees usually pay (it's cheap, don't worry). The last step is a series of examinations that mirror the SAT. There's a 2 minute warmup section that you probably won't finish (I got to the very last question). Then there are 3 untimed tests (you time yourself and you record how long it took you). The math test is kindof like an SAT. It has some basic questions, and then it gets into some brainteasers (I am not allowed to divulge the specifics). The verbal section was like the old SAT - analogies, sentence correction (no multiple choice), and some evaluation type logic questions. The last test was a programming test. They give you some code and it all builds on each other. Each question is just asking you, based on the given info, which will the computer return?

Overall I felt the process was very awkward and forced. The questions did not naturally tie back to my resume, and I realized that way too late in the interview process. I did not get to talk about my unique experiences that prepared me for the role because I was expecting them to ask about them. When I realized it, we were close to the end of their scripted questions and they asked me what questions I have for them.

I got a call back from them about 10 days after my final interview telling me that "they decided to pursue other candidates even though the decision was a tough one"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in March 2011.

Interview

Easy phone interview and then flew to Verona. About a 6 hour process, just rest up and be yourself and you will do fine. Have not heard back from them yet, went a week ago.