Epic Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Project Manager/Implementation Consultant

Epic Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at Epic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in March 2012.

Interview

I answered a recruiter email and within a few days heard back about scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was a very casual resume walk through. The interviewer was a current project manager who seemed a little bored but pleasant enough.

I then got a follow up email a few days later asking me to take a test so I drove to a testing center to take about a 45 min math/coding test/questionnaire. I guess they were trying to gauge my knowledge. I've taken some programming courses so it wasn't too difficult. I was then told that it would be about two weeks while they reviewed my scores before I would hear either way. I'm still within those two weeks so, we'll see.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.   1 Answer
  • How many minutes before 5pm is it if 30 mins ago it was four times as many minutes after 3pm?   11 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Epic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in May 2010.

Interview

Quick Summary: A very professional interview process that really tries to "wow" the potential candidates. Overall however, it was my impression that the company gets by on the talent of young recruits (who are dazzled by good salaries and a "relaxed" atmosphere) but weakened by a very likely high turn-around rate; the few long-time workers were nothing special. (To Illustrate: I was most disappointed when one of the technical specialist didn't know what cloud computing was when a question regarding the topic was brought up - not the response you want to hear from a technology company).

The Project Manager/Implementation Consultant interview process is akin to other consulting interviews: plenty of testing, a phone interview, group interviews, a presentation (your choice), and more 1:1 interviews.

After applying online I was contacted within a couple of business days to set up a phone interview and with links to online tests. The interview was fairly casual and lasted less then an hour. I was surprised by how much the interviewer questioned me about my willingness to live in Madison, WI. The questions might have made me think that Madison was a terrible place to live/work, but I had already done research and thought the place to be very nice. The rest of the interview was very generic and seemed like a formality (my guess is that I did decently on the tests and combined with my Ivy League background Epic was interested as long as I didn't completely mess up).

Within a few days I was contacted and told that I was invited to an on-site interview and that an Epic agent would be in contact to arrange my flight plan. The recruits arrive the day before the interviews and are housed at two very nice hotels in downtown Madison (and given the VIP treatment, as all food is covered by the company). There is an optional dinner with current employees that is nice gives you a chance to meet other recruits and pose thinly veiled questions about life in Madison and at Epic.

The interview day starts early and last all day. A good nights sleep is highly recommended. This is especially true if you have not already completed some of the skills tests (not the personality tests). These are technically not timed, but as time counts, you want to make sure that you won't be rushing as I highly suspect that these tests are more important to the HR decision making process than they would have you believe. The materiel covered is a combination of GRE-style questions, some LSAT logic questions, and some "trick questions" that involve some critical thinking. Otherwise, the interview process is pretty straightforward. If you were flown in, I would recommend taking a late flight back so as to not be rushed during your day (which although very scheduled, might be a problem if your flight leaves only an hour after the scheduled end).

Again, Epic seems like it does a good job attracting very talented people but I highly doubt that it retains most of its brightest stars. The overall atmosphere does not seem very professional (maybe professionally casual). The average age of the employees is also pretty young (again likely pointing to high turn-over rate) but I didn't think age was held against anyone during the interview process and by extension while employed.

Interview Questions

• Many of the questions asked relate to cooperation and problem solving, such as how you might react if clients you will be working with resist implementing Epic's systems or are having difficulty changing their current workflows/ways. Follow up questions seemed to pose worst-case scenarios (which hopefully are not the norm).   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in April 2012.

Interview

People and culture seemed nice, but overrated. Everyone is very happy and appears to love Madison..not sure how genuine they are about working for Epic. Interview process:

1. Phone screen
    2. Personality test
    3. Fly out to Madison (all expenses paid)

Interview in Madison:

Went out to dinner with Epic employee the night before
    Presentation of Software and Overview of company
    Tour of campus
    Group discussion about the position
    1 on 1 interview with employee
    1 on 1 interview with HR rep
    Simulation/Case study
    Lunch
    10 minute presentation
    Very long skills test (math, verbal, software)

It is extremely exhausting, by the end of the day I could barely think. I am very surprised they leave the testing until the end for that reason.

Overall, it was generally a good experience

Interview Questions

• What is one thing your co-workers would say about you that is false or a misconception.   Answer Question
    • Name 5 things you are not   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in April 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to apply for the Project Manager position after they found my resume through my college career center. I had a phone interview a few days later, they asked me to complete an online personality assessment, and within a few days I had been invited for an onsite interview. They flew me out to Madison the night before the interview and put me in the very nice Hilton Madison Monona Terrace. I accepted an invitation to have dinner with an Epic employee and other candidates that evening. The meeting was not evaluative, but was instead a chance for candidates to get a better idea of the company and its people/culture.

The interview day started at 10 am on Epic's beautiful campus. There was a tour of the campus and a demo of the company's software before actual interviewing began. Everyone was very friendly and had a positive attitude. The first interview was a group interview with other candidates and a current PM. Next I was asked to give a 10-minute presentation on a topic of my choice to a group of 4 employees. They were a mix of HR and PMs. After that a group of candidates joined an employee for lunch at Epic's fantastic (and cheap) onsite cafeteria. Lunch was followed by two more 1:1 interviews—one with a PM and one with my recruiter. After that, I took the assessments. The first was a verbal skills assessment with a small logic component at the end. The second was presented as a logic skills test and comes in the form of learning the basics of an obscure programming language (programming is really just applied logic). The third assessment is a somewhat tricky set of math word questions. They say you have as much time as you want on the assessments, but my time was limited by the need to catch my returning flight, so I had to rush through the math portion.

I interviewed on a Monday, and I heard back with their decision not to extend and offer on the following Tuesday. I asked them for feedback on how to improve for future interviews, and I was told that their hiring decisions are confidential. I understand the need to protect themselves against accusations of discrimination, but I was turned off by the refusal to provide feedback.

Despite the high turnover rate for PMs (2-3 years), Epic seems to be looking to hire people who wish to pursue a longer career with them, so I'd shy away from talk about interest in going back to school.

Interview Questions

• How many flowers are there if all but two are roses, all but two are tulips, and all but two are daisies?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied through their online application. About a week later I got an email to do a personality assessment. The next day I scheduled a phone interview for the next wednesday. It was general overview of resume and she basically went over the role, then didn't even ask if I had questions or anything, she was in a major hurry or something. I felt that I was already screened out. Two days later I got an email to schedule a Math/Logic assessment, there happened to be one at my school so I took it Tuesday, they emailed me the next day telling me to expect to hear from them within two weeks. Two days later they called and emailed about the next step of the on site interview. I flew out to madison on a wednesday, evidently madison is a regional airport so to get anywhere you have to have connecting flights, kind of a hassle. 7 hours later I arrived in madison, walked around for a while exploring around my hotel. Met with a project manager for dinner with 3 other candidates. She took us to dinner and we walked around downtown madison for about 3 hours. Great experience with her, she answered every question we had. The next morning I arrived at Epic and then we had a tour, a brief overview of how the software works, a one on one with the position I was applying for, then I gave a 10 minute presentation, had a case study interview, had a one on one HR interview then went to lunch and had a final wrap up interview (beware you may think you are done, but this is where they catch you off guard and ask the tough questions). Then lastly, I took a verbal assessment. I feel that they weigh heavily on your assessments, so if you are generally smart, well learned in math then this might be an easy on board job for you. I am currently waiting to hear back to whether or not I get an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Epic (Verona, WI) in November 2009.

Interview

Invite me a day ahead, nice dinner. wonderful experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in November 2011.

Interview

I found out about this position from a campus recruiter. After I gave him my resume, the recruiter gave it to HR, so I was invited to have a phone interview even before i had officially applied online. About one week after the phone interview and personality/logic test online, I was invited for an on-site interview, which I had to push back because of school commitments.

Interview Questions

• What is your SAT score (everyone asked me this question!)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in October 2011.

Interview

I handed them my resume at the career fair and they considered this an application. Then I had to do an online personality/math test. After that, I had a phone interview (Skype was optional) that consisted of going through my resume and some pretty standard behavioral questions.

After that I was flown to Madison. The night before we were broken into small groups and taken to dinner by an employee. My experience was very awkward, the employee was in IT and lacked social skills and the other candidate was an older woman who brought her baby and her husband along and her baby crawled all over the table and touched my food during dinner.

The next day we began with a tour of campus - which is beautiful and impressive! A very fun place to work. We had a presentation of the software and then a small group meeting where someone in the position we were interviewing for basically broke down what we would be doing. We had a 2:1 interview where they give you a case, you have 10 minutes to read it, and you answer questions about it. It was very simple like, an older doctor is resistant to changing to electronic medical records, how would you solve this? You also have to give a 10 minute presentation on the topic of your choice, and you can't use Powerpoint. You will then have a 1:1 interview with your HR contact with more standard behaviorals (tell me five things you are not, tell me about a time you worked with a difficult colleague, etc.) After that you will have to take a verbal, math, and programming test (don't worry if you don't know how to do it). They aren't timed technically but you do have to mark down how long they take you.

A few days later I received a call that they were giving me an offer with a starting salary of $60,000. They also pay for up to $3,000 in location costs (provided you don't leave before a certain amount of time). Great health benefits and every five years you get a four-week paid sabbatical. Their cafeteria is pretty gourmet as well!

Interview Questions

I was very impressed with Epic and it was very difficult to turn down their generous offer but ultimately I decided to go with a job in Chicago, primarily for the location. Other downsides to Epic were the long hours (60+) and lots of traveling, which can be a pain especially out of Madison. Also the campus is in Verona which is 40 minutes one way from the city, and the airport is 30 minutes the other way, so you are going to end up commuting often no matter where you live.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in October 2011.

Interview

My first impressions of Epic were good, I had a phone interview with an Epic recruiter. He was enjoyable to speak with, and he excitedly described the impact he was making at Epic in his assigned projects.

I was informed the interview process would continue on-site at their campus. The campus is beautifully decorated, its easy to see that they really to do try to inspire their employees creativity with the variety of themed rooms/buildings and unique art pieces. I spent 30 minutes on a campus tour, followed by a 30 minute presentation of the Epic software (all in a small group of 4 other applicants). Then I finally had my individual one on one interview. This was extremely impersonal. I was asked a few very short questions, which seemed more like personality questions from their IQ/Personality test which I had already taken prior to my first phone interview. After, my interviewer gave me a two minute math test. Then I was put in another room to take a series of "skills tests." My instructions were to finish the tests as fast and accurately, as possible. I had another math test, an English test, and a computer programing assessment (although I have no background in computer programming this assessment taught you a series of commands/rules and asked you how to apply them).

From this on-site experience, Epic seems very results orientated. I spent 5X more time taking assessments than actually speaking with the interviewer. Although the campus is beautiful, the overall work environment seems very impersonal - not something I personally am looking for in a job.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic (Madison, WI) in November 2011.

Interview

I found out about Epic at a career fair on campus. They sent me an e-mail with a skills/IQ/personality test that I completed the following week. After that I received a phone interview with a current project manager. About a week later, they told me they were flying me out to Madison, WI for an on-campus interview. I went up there and had a great experience. I interviewed for both the IS and TS positions so my day was very full. We went on a tour, had a great lunch, I had two 3:1 interviews, two case studies, a presentation, a programming test, a math/english test and a 1:1 interview with a recruiter.

Overall, there were a lot of people there interviewing, but it was a great experience! I found out about a week after my interview that I got the job.