Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3,457 Interview Reviews

2.9

3,457 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Had a phone interview with a guy and a ridiculous assessment.

Phone interview was standard. Discussed projects and the company.

The assessment was a waste of time. Expect to spend quite a bit of time setting up software so someone can stare at you through your webcam and listen to everything that goes on in your testing environment. Expect to walk around the room to show the proctor every wall and ceiling so you can't cheat. Expect to have no bathroom breaks. Everything must be quiet.

The exam itself is not difficult but VERY long. I do not know how they expect everyone to have the mental stamina to sit through hours upon hours of questions and coding problems.

My coding solutions were correct but not optimal. I had to pee so I turned it in anyways.

Huge waste of time. Would not recommend.

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Applied online, received an email shortly thereafter to schedule a phone interview. Interview lasted about 30 mins, talked with an employee in the technical writing department. Both a few days before and a few days after the interview I took some skills/personality assessments online. Got an email a week after the interview informing me I wouldn't be advancing to the next round (in-person interview). Overall, process was thorough but fair. It was a somewhat significant time investment, but I thought this would be a good gig so I'm at peace with my decision to pursue the position.

Technical Services Interview

Application

Interview

Epic scheduled the interview and they bailed out. I was pissed of course since I never had any companies I interviewed with bailed out on a scheduled interview. I really liked Epic until I applied for them, which was completely a waste of time

Interview Questions

• Why you want to work for Epic?
      This is from my school career fair. Not really an interview tho   Answer Question

Technical Services Problem-Solver Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Note: This is an review ONLY for the initial phone screening. They sent me an email asking me to send times of the week I was available to have an over-the-phone interview. They got back to me and the next day I had an interview lined up. I was called by a current employee in the position I was applying for who had been working there for a little over a year. The interview was hardly that because really we just talked through my resume and had a couple questions which I will list below. It was all incredibly casual - we talked about football at the start of the call and for the last half of it I simply asked him about his thoughts on the position and his personal experiences with Epic. All in all the interview took about 40 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Are you looking to start working right after you graduate or do you have plans for that summer?   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose the major that you did?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about this particular item on your resume?   Answer Question
    • What all coding experiences have you had in the past (note: they said this is not a requirement but just to give them an idea of your background)?   Answer Question
    • How much would you be willing to travel for your job?   Answer Question
    • Would you be willing to relocate to Wisconsin?   Answer Question

Technical Services Problem-Solver Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

The interview is three parts: a phone interview (about 30 minutes), a skills assessment (around 2 hours for me, but the time does vary depending on what your applying for), and an onsite interview. I only did the first two parts before I was rejected. I've been told that if you're invited to the onsite interview, there is a very high chance that they will hire you.

The phone interview process was pretty easy and straight-forward. They ask you the typical interview questions, go over you resume, and tell you about the role you applying for and Epic in general. You have the opportunity to ask them questions at the end, and that's it. From what I've been told, this part doesn't hold too much sway on whether you'll be invited for an onsite interview.

The skills assessment is what will make or break you. The assessments you take vary depending on the job you apply for. I applied for the Technical Services position, so my assessment was four parts. I had some bad luck from the get-go. The assessments are administered remotely, and you are assigned and overseer who will walk you through the process, tell you about the assessments (what you can have on hand, how long they are, if there are timed or not, etc.) and will watch you through your web cam as you take the assessments to make sure you aren't cheating.

My particular session was pretty bad. For one, I had a overseer who told me conflicting information. He told me that two of my assessments were timed and two were not. Turns out all of them were timed. Secondly, when technical problems occurred, he seemed to not know what to do and it took nearly 30 minutes for him to find someone else to solve the problem. Keep in mind you're not allowed to move at all, so I had to sit there and wait.

I'm not convinced this bad luck kept me from getting an offer for the in-person interview (many people don't pass this part of the interview) but I wish I had the best circumstances to do my absolute best on them. For instance, I was completely off-guard for the first assessment, which was timed, and wasn't able to complete it, because my overseer told me it wasn't timed. The technical issue was not only annoying but made me a bit nervous for the rest of the assessments. Again, I could have easily failed them even if I had the best overseer in the world, but I just wish they made sure that these folks were on their A-game.

Technical Services Problem-Solver Interview

Interview

Proctor u test. Took about 2 hrs. Somewhat awkward testing.
    Rembrandt Portrait. Personality and thought process analysis. Took about 30 mins.
    Phone interview. Informal, and casual, definitely prepare as best you can though.

Technical Problem Solver Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Fit Interview, Logic Exam and Coding exam. The fit interview was a pretty standard discussion. The logic exam was a little tricky and the proctoring software was distracting for the test.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

They contacted me through a university recruiting site and invited me to apply for the position. You were able to mark whether you were invited to apply by a recruiter and this sent you straight to getting a phone interview and coding challenge. The coding challenge was through a proctoring website (ProctorU) but they forced you to contact the proctor every time you clicked outside of the tab, which was annoying if you don't have every single small detail of the coding language you're using memorized. The coding part was three parts, one was how many problems you can solve in 2 mins (mathematical, logic puzzles), one of learning to use their made up language with multiple choice questions, and the last part had 4 coding questions. If you have a CS background, you're only allowed to use Java or C/C++.

Interview Questions

• They say you should only need basic data structures and algorithms but their coding questions required DP knowledge.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

Interview

A manager called me for the initial interview asked a couple of behavioral questions and asked if I had any questions. Mainly talked about the project manager position. I took skills assessment which took about 2 hours to complete. Overall average experience.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

There are three parts- a phone screen, a remotely-proctored online assessment, and an on-site interview. I made it to the online assessment.

The phone screen is actually very straightforward. They just want to know why you're interested in the company, and have you walk them through a project you've done in the past to demonstrate good background.

The online assessment was the worst interview experience I've ever had but not because of the assessment itself. If you're not familiar with ProctorU, it's a remote proctoring service where you screen-share and have your room monitored for the entirety of an examination. You get one bathroom break and a fairly intrusive environment where you need to open up a port in your computer for them to view incoming/outgoing traffic. The exam involves having you solve some standard programming questions, a speed-focused logic section, and an interesting section where you learn Epic's internal language on the fly and answer some questions about it. So this assessment seems to take people 2-4 hours.

My issue had less to do with the assessment itself (which I thought was interesting and quite fair) and more to do with ProctorU. If your connection bugs out for a few seconds, your assessment is paused and you may wait anywhere between 5 to 20 minutes for a new proctor to show up, during which you aren't allowed to go and take a bathroom break. So I spent a total of about an hour dealing with technical difficulties during/between sections because my bandwidth was about average and not capable of keeping up a constant, good-quality stream to a remote location while taking an exam in real time.

Overall if they figure out some way to ensure compliance without using a program like ProctorU, or just defaulting to onsites, that'd be great. I think the online assessment was actually a pretty interesting and otherwise useful system. But the online assessment was, for me, a pretty bad experience just because of the proctoring software.