Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 14, 2017

611 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was shortly after contacted by a representative from HR to coordinate a phone interview and two personality screenings. Strange process, the woman I spoke to on the phone was very nice and informative, she informed me she was recommending I come in to their headquarters to interview in person. Two days later, however, I got an email saying they were moving on. When I inquired where I may have been lacking they weren't able to provide any details.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about Epic and why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in May 2017.

Interview

After application online, 2 phone calls with HR, and a logic/skills assessment test online, I was requested to meet for the final interview on Epic's campus. Once there, it was an all day event with several interviews, some 1-on-1 and others in a group. First, several candidates and myself were given an overview presentation of the company. Then, we met 1-on-1 with 3 different project managers for behavior based interviews. Next, we had a group role play followed by lunch on campus. Then I gave my presentation to 3 people. Finally, I met with HR for a 1-on-1 and was shown around campus afterwards. Went from 9:30 -

Interview Questions

• Q: Why Epic?
      Q: What is your biggest pet peeve?
      Q: Which group would you be more worried to present to: 30 unknown members of a sales team, 6 project managers, or 1 vice president?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online, took skills test. Received phone call, invited to on-site interview shortly thereafter. On-site consisted of several different meetings. First was an overview of the company and the software, followed by a short explanation with someone in the current role. Followed with short, collaborative group case study (go-live situation, I had no idea what that meant but they make it pretty easy). Ate lunch with a member and then had a few more interviews with HR and a person in the current role. Also had to give a short 10 minute presentation to a panel on the subject of my choice.

Interview Questions

• If you were a project lead and were 100% sure that option A is better than B, but the 4 other team members are 100% certain that B is better, which option would you choose? What if you were one of the 4 other team members and you though option A might be detrimental to the task. How would you proceed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in April 2017.

Interview

First phone interview, then long skills assessment & skype, in person trip up to Madison. The phone interview is trivial, the online assessment is really a pain. Easy but takes a few hours of time, like they want to see if you need a job bad enough to stick it through.

Interview Questions

• Learn a fake coding language and show you can adapt to it.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online & I got a phone interview. The interview was easy pretty much the exact same question I found here in glassdoor. However, the skills assessment was not easy, I guess I didn't do well in it. I didn't make it to the final interview.

Interview Questions

• What factors do you consider if you have more than one offer?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

First took an assessment and then did the phone interview. Phone interview was after the assessment for me because my phone interview was scheduled two weeks from the date I received the email from the HR contact. The assessments were straight forward, four in total. They focused on math skills, technical skills (coding), and critical skills. The first assessment tested how fast you could answer the math skills. The next one tested your knowledge of reading a code and a brief summary of what the code operators do and then answering questions. The remainder of the tests, tested you over critical thinking and making decisions. The phone interview was simple. Asked simple questions and then shifted over to what the company does and then opened it up to questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI) in January 2017.

Interview

My interview was similar to all the other PM interviews on here and was enjoyable, until about the last 45 minutes, so I won't rehash those details. I would like to try and do two things though. First, I'm going to try and convince you to not take the job. Second, if you need the job, I'll explain how to get an offer.

My general impression of Epic is that employees are not trusted. First you have the All Efforts clause, which basically says you can't have another form of income separate from Epic. They will say this is because they may need your effort at a time that conflicts with your other responsibilities, but really it's because they don't trust you to manage your time. Along with this they have the 1 year restriction on ex-employees working for any competition or consulting. Again, no trust. Even during the interview, I was asked questions by a Project Manager that couldn't define terms within the questions or give me more information because she hadn't discussed them with anyone. Apparently, she was handed a list of questions by HR to go and ask interviewees. Current PMs trusted to come up with relevant questions to ask in interviews? Nope. Even the HR person that called with my rejection read from a script, which was obvious from the tone and cadence of his voice. Imagine getting one of those automated rejection emails in your voicemail. No trust to let them be human.

The interview also focused on things you are not, and your weaknesses, rather than your strengths. Which, if you read through a bunch of work reviews, is a theme. During the interview they ask whether you are more thick skinned or take to heart when it comes to constructive criticism. The correct answer in their eyes is thick skinned, because the negative is what they focus on. I'm all for continuous improvement, but solely focusing on the negatives makes for a brutal culture.

Now, if you're still interested, here is how you get an offer. Take the lead during the case study. At some point, you should go up to the white board and lead the meeting. I'm not saying the whole meeting, I'm just saying at some point. Share the space with another interviewee if you have to. You're not trying to run the session and close the others out, you're just looking to lead the discussion at some point and bring everyone along with you. Next, be affable. You don't need to get them to think, you need to get them to smile. If they ask a stupid question, don't ask for clarification, make a joke, and pick the more aggressive option. I'm thick skinned, I'm a talker, etc... Oh one more interesting interaction. During my HR interview we got into a short discussion about the profile typically hired as a PM. HR stated that he thought they hire both listeners and talkers as PMs. The very next question was, Do you prefer talking or listening more? In my head I'm thinking, Ummm you just said it didn't matter for the hiring decision. *The correct answer is talking, and you think listening is important.

Despite all of this I would have taken the offer had I gotten one, but wouldn't have quit my job search. You shouldn't either. Good luck.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI).

Interview

Interview process was extremely quick. I applied online after a recruiter contacted me and received a reply back for a phone interview within two days. After that, I went through the rest of the process, which included an onsite interview and presentation, and received the offer within 2 months after my initial application.

Interview Questions

• What words would you not describe yourself with? (What are you not?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI).

Interview

Phone interview, online exam to test personality, technical ability, etc, and onsite interviews. Onsite was interesting - I had a 1 on 2 interview with a real life scenario and was asked to present on a topic of choice to a few project managers. I interviewed onsite with a group of people and a current employee gave us an overview of the company.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a situation in which the CMO disagreed with the Epic recommendation?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

I have only had the phone interview. It was casual and lasted for about 25 minutes. They asked me a handful of questions, explained more about the job, and opened the floor for questions.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about Epic? Where do you see yourself in five years? If you were given offers from several companies, what factors would you use to choose which company to work for?   Answer Question