Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Technical Writer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Technical Writer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 7, 2017

82 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

This was probably one of them most dignified interview experiences I've ever had with a company. The HR representative who was in contact with me kept me updated during every part of the recruitment process, and the technical writer who phone-screened me was unbelievably courteous, professional, and pleasantly relaxed. You'll know where you are every step of the way. In each email they send you, they have a header that highlights each part of the process ("application," "phone interview," "assessment," "final interview," "offer") as you go along. I found this so refreshing, so ingenious, that I came here just to give a positive review for that. I'm bummed I didn't get to the "final interview" portion, but I have to give props to them. Most employers won't even email you - not even once - to tell you they're not interested in you. Epic will tell you at least that.

Simply apply to a job with them to experience their interview process and hope you do well during the assessments. To be honest I wish the tests weren't part of the process. I know this is where I was disqualified so be ready to give them your all if you apply.

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI) in June 2017.

Interview

After getting through the initial phone screen and several online assessments, I was invited to an on-site interview. The day started at 8:30 a.m. and I was done by about 1:30 p.m. The first 45 minutes was an informal group conversation with an Epic staff member and all of the other people interviewing that day for various roles around the company. The staff member covered the basics about the company and then gave a software demo, which was kind of a waste of time since the projector stopped working and so all 10 of us had to huddle around her laptop. After that we each followed our own unique schedule that had been created for us. For me, I had a 30 minute conversation with someone from the Tech Comm department, a 45-minute case study activity, which only took about half the time so the other half was spent in informal conversation with the staff person who facilitated the activity. Then there was a campus tour with 2 other applicants, led by yet another staff member. This was a 30-minute walking tour and we barely saw any of the campus because there just wasn't enough time - but we got the general gist. After that, I had a 30 minute interview with the HR recruiter assigned to me and she reviewed my references list, application, and transcripts with me - then discussed additional roles that might be a good fit for me. Finally, another staff member came and picked up 5 of us for lunch - which was completely delicious and awesome. My last activity for the day was a 90 minute writing assessment - which took me less than an hour to complete and I was taking my time. It was easier than the writing assessment I had taken from home before the interview. All in all, it was a really great experience. Everyone was super nice.

A few tips: I know it's been said over and over, but when they say dress casually, they mean it. Folks were wearing jeans, t-shirts, shorts, even flip flops. It does absolutely nothing for you if you overdress, and you'll just be uncomfortable. I wore jeans and a nice blouse with flats, and wished I had worn tennis shoes by the end of the day.

Interview Questions

• What would your last boss say you need to improve or work on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI) in August 2016.

Interview

I had an online interview that went great. A current technical writer was the one who called me and we spoke for a good 40 minutes. The conversation (it didn't even seem like an interview since I was very comfortable) went really well where he asked me a few questions about my resume, asked me typical interview questions (Why Epic? Why this position? Where do I see myself in five years? etc). I know that I did well for this portion.

I also took a writing assessment that gave me three writing prompts and I had to answer them. This took the full two hours for me. They weren't hard at all, the only difficult part was that it was timed. I also had to take a personality test. This was really weird. I've never taken one before so the questions caught me off guard. There were also repeats of the same questions, which I think is meant to see if you respond the same for all of them.

After the first phone interview, I had to take another assessment that included writing, math, logic, coding. THIS IS WHERE I'M SURE THE COMPANY DECIDED TO PASS ME OVER. It was really difficult to say the least. For someone who doesn't have any coding experience, and the last time I did legit math was four plus years ago, it was extremely difficult. For the writing section, IT WAS THE SAME TEST I HAD TAKEN A WEEK BEFORE! So I was thrown off and pretty upset that I spent an extra two hours the week before crafting the same response. I wasn't sure if this was a mistake or not. On the plus side, I already knew the questions and how to answer them so it took me much less time answering this time around.

Two weeks later, a HR contact sent me a standard email saying I was not moving forward. Again, I'm positive it was the assessment portion since the phone interview went really well IMO.

Technical Writer and Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI) in July 2015.

Interview

Epic is a huge company and has its interview process perfectly streamlined, and they follow up when they say they will follow up. Originally I applied solely for the Technical Writer Role. I applied online through their website, and about 2 weeks later was contacted to set up an interview and schedule the proctored exam. They also have you take a short personality profile. Technical writers have to take a 2 hour writing exam that showcases different styles of writing.
    *Proctored Exam: Three sections: coding, simple math word problems, and reading comprehension. The coding was tough; I would advise studying functions if you are unfamiliar. I am terrible at math, but I still moved on to the next phase...so just do the best you can.
    **Phone Interview: A very nice and friendly Technical Writer called and told me all about the role and the company. It was a laid-back interview. It lasted about 30 minutes. Have questions ready, and your resume in front of you, preferably with projects you completed that you can relate to job skills!
    ***On-site Interview: The recruiter contacted me to schedule a time when I could fly out to Madison for an overnight stay. I took some vacation days and the travel counselor sent me a few time options and let me choose the airport I flew out of. They cover the flight, hotel, food, cab, etc., which is incredibly generous. The shuttle will take you to the hotel...most likely either the Hyatt next to the Capitol or the Hilton on Lake Monoma...either way, you score. You will have a little time to relax before an Epic employee comes to take you to dinner! Act natural, don't order alcohol and dress casually (jeans and a t-shirt are perfect). You will probably have some time after dinner to explore Madison. Note: Please don't overdress for the interview. I highly recommend a nice blouse and black or khaki pants and flats (for women). I wore a dress and flats and felt silly. One kid in my group wore a suit---don't do it. Polo and khakis are perfect for a guy. Everyone at Epic was in shorts and flip flops. Anyways, the next day a cab will pick you up an hour before your scheduled interview begins. You will be greeted by some HR people who will offer some breakfast and give an overview of the software. You will have a little time to socialize before you break out for your mini-interviews
    My schedule was roughly like this (and I was interviewing for Technical Writer and QA)
    -3-4 half-hour sessions, including some case studies that ask about your prioritizing and time management skills, as well as informational interviews about the positions. Feel free to ask questions! -Lunch with a current employee. Please make sure you converse and ask questions.
    - Campus tour with a small group, The campus is to die for. It doesn't hurt that it was a sunny, dry 70 degrees in Verona that day. I don't want to spoil the fun for you, but you will not be disappointed!
    -2-3 more half-hour sessions. Keep up your energy and enthusiasm, be professional and ask questions! -HR interview with a recruiter. I am confident this is where I screwed up. The HR interview was only about 10 minutes which also gave me a sinking feeling in my stomach.-Last item of the day was another writing exam. I was exhausted at this point, it is a long day. While you wait for a cab, you will be taken to a lovely room and offered cookies and snacks.You will be driven to the airport, where you will likely have ample time to peruse the gift shop for Packers stuff and cheese curds before heading home. HR will follow up within the following 2 weeks.
    As you can read in my review, I really had a fantastic time with the process but messed up a little bit. *** I was not offered a job with Epic, although I would have loved to work for them.***
    Who knows, maybe I will re-apply in a few years!
    Take my advice:
    -Be outgoing and confident! I am an introvert. Epic feels like a fun college campus. While it is a great company, I am not sure I would have fit in there because of my personality. The visit is really to see if you and Epic would make a good pair, if you will.
    -Don't assume that because you are flown out, you will receive a job offer. Continue to apply to other jobs and make sure to send a thank you email to your recruiter.
    -Get the phone numbers or emails of other candidates if you get along!
    Best of luck!!!

Interview Questions

• What would your current employer say about you?   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in July 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who saw my resume online, so I submitted my resume to Epic. A few weeks later I was asked to schedule a 30 minute phone interview within a week or so. The phone interview was pleasant and brief...the interviewer basically walked through my resume and I discussed each point, starting at my education all the way through my current job and why I'm applying to Epic. She then told me a little about the technical writing position and I asked a few questions at the end. It took about 15 minutes. Several days later I received emails to schedule an online proctored test, a timed writing test and a 20 minute personality test. I just finished the proctored test and it was challenging for me. I found the most difficult parts to be some logic questions where they made 3 to 4 points about a subject and then followed with a statement. You had to determine if the statement was true, probably true, indeterminate, probably false or false. There was also a table with missing values based on percentages that you had to fill in. That was harder than it looked. I don't have a good feeling about being called back, but I'm about to start my writing test. Wish me luck!

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to discuss each school and job that you listed on your resume for the phone interview. Pretty basic stuff.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in July 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was simple. The interviewer was very nice and asked basic questions. The Writing Sample test was a bit challenging only because there was a 2hr time limit. The infamous technical assessment tests, especially the math section, was difficult. I didn't understand a lot of the programming questions because I was never exposed to that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied and completed the initial tests and writing sample within 24 hours of completing my phone interview and receiving my materials. I was told that I was a candidate that they are "extremely interested in" so I passed on other job opportunities while waiting to hear back. It's been 6 months now, and I just found out that they will not be hiring any technical writers for 2016.

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Applied online. A week later I was emailed to schedule a phone interview with someone working in the same position as the one I applied for. The phone interview was short, mostly a getting-to-know-you kind of thing. She asked a few questions, and told me more about Epic. I also had to take a writing test, which was timed.
    Two days later, I was asked to sign up for the infamous Skills Assessment test as well as a personality test with a company called Rembrandt. The personality test was frustrating. I got asked the same questions repeatedly. The Skills Assessment test had a live proctor. The most difficult part was the programming section, in which I had to answer questions about a code they had made up. My math skills were rusty and I've never done any programming, so it was difficult. People have posted a few of the questions they had online, but none of those showed up on the test. Honestly, there's no good way to prepare.
    I got asked to an onsite interview. I have that coming up, so we'll see how it goes.

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Submitted an application and was asked to submit a timed writing sample as well as a basic phone interview. Then came the skills assessment test which contained two math sections (one timed), a programming section (somewhat difficult with no programming experience at all), and a verbal reasoning section. I didn't get offered a position as a technical writer but they placed me in another position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university and received an email to do a phone interview after I sent them my college transcripts. I had to leave the country last minute so I missed the first phone call and had to reschedule. I talked to a technical writer for the first phone interview 3 weeks after applying. I was then sent a writing prompt to complete which took 2 full hours. It wasn't too hard though

I passed that and was sent an email to schedule a proctored assessment. The programming was the hardest part by far - the other sections took me less than an hour to complete. I also had to complete a Rembrandt personality exam and am waiting to hear back.