Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3,321 Interview Reviews

2.9

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI) in June 2017.

Interview

After getting through the initial phone screen and several online assessments, I was invited to an on-site interview. The day started at 8:30 a.m. and I was done by about 1:30 p.m. The first 45 minutes was an informal group conversation with an Epic staff member and all of the other people interviewing that day for various roles around the company. The staff member covered the basics about the company and then gave a software demo, which was kind of a waste of time since the projector stopped working and so all 10 of us had to huddle around her laptop. After that we each followed our own unique schedule that had been created for us. For me, I had a 30 minute conversation with someone from the Tech Comm department, a 45-minute case study activity, which only took about half the time so the other half was spent in informal conversation with the staff person who facilitated the activity. Then there was a campus tour with 2 other applicants, led by yet another staff member. This was a 30-minute walking tour and we barely saw any of the campus because there just wasn't enough time - but we got the general gist. After that, I had a 30 minute interview with the HR recruiter assigned to me and she reviewed my references list, application, and transcripts with me - then discussed additional roles that might be a good fit for me. Finally, another staff member came and picked up 5 of us for lunch - which was completely delicious and awesome. My last activity for the day was a 90 minute writing assessment - which took me less than an hour to complete and I was taking my time. It was easier than the writing assessment I had taken from home before the interview. All in all, it was a really great experience. Everyone was super nice.

A few tips: I know it's been said over and over, but when they say dress casually, they mean it. Folks were wearing jeans, t-shirts, shorts, even flip flops. It does absolutely nothing for you if you overdress, and you'll just be uncomfortable. I wore jeans and a nice blouse with flats, and wished I had worn tennis shoes by the end of the day.

Interview Questions

• What would your last boss say you need to improve or work on?   Answer Question

Division Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in June 2017.

Interview

Five step process: submit resume, phone interview, complete skills assessment and personality profile, face-to-face interview, offer. Made it through skills assessment, but did not get face-to-face interview. Most communication leading up to various steps is completed via email.

Customer Training Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in June 2017.

Interview

Interview process was simple. I applied and within 24 hours I received an invitation to set up the initial phone interview. It's a short interview that took about 30 minutes. It seemed to be more about getting a feel for who I was as a person, explaining the position, and answering any of my questions. Again, within 24 hours I received an invitation to take their assessment. The assessment was similar to taking a state standardized test (think SAT, GRE, etc.) It also included a programming component that I personally found challenging, but I have no prior programming experience. That, unfortunately, is where my interview experience ended. I received an email (which, truthfully, is nice and rare in today's job hunting experience) that they were moving on with other candidates. I received this email within 2 weeks from the test.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied on the company website after getting a few emails from a recruiter. A couple days after I applied, I was contacted by another recruiter to schedule a phone interview and the infamous skills assessment---I scheduled both for the following week. I wasn't sure what to expect for the skills assessment, I just knew that most people did not get past this stage in the process. Like many before me have said, it included a quantitative, verbal, logic, and coding section. All sections were timed, some shorter than others. You can't really prepare for the skills assessment. Most of it is basic math/reading knowledge and common sense. I would suggest, however, making sure you have good internet connectivity and are mental prepared to take an "exam" for at least an hour. Please note that you CAN use scratch paper and a calculator...the people at ProctorU may tell you otherwise (although, I didn't end up needing it anyways). After the skills assessment, I had the phone interview. I spoke with a current employee. He asked me a few questions about why I had applied, what I majored in during college and why, and if I was willing to travel. Very straightforward. A few hours after my phone interview, I was invited for the onsite interview.

Epic does a great job making sure everything is organized for your onsite interview. Airfare, hotel, cab/taxi, food, etc. is all taken care of beforehand...and they even reimburse you for food bought on the way there/home. The night before the interview I was taken to a fancy-ish restaurant with one other candidate and a couple of employees. It was actually pretty fun---we mostly just talked about our backgrounds, what Epic was like, etc. Again, very fun and relaxed. Nothing to worry about here!

On the morning of the interview, a taxi will pick you and a few other candidates up from the hotel. Once you arrive at Epic, you will receive a personalized schedule. For me, I had a company overview and software demonstration first. Then I met with another current employee. This was more of a conversation and I could ask them anything I wanted about the job, traveling, Madison, life....The employee was very friendly. After this, I had a one-on-one interview with a different employee. He asked some behavioral questions (which are all over Glassdoor). It was very easy and lasted about 15 minutes. Then, I had a group 'case study' with two other candidates. We were given a scenario then had to prioritize issues and come up with a plan for one of our 'clients.' The scenario is pretty straightforward, and it was surprisingly easy to work with the other candidates. I was expecting that one of the other candidates would take lead and dominate the exercise, but it was actually a collaborative attempt. We took turns coming up with ideas and presenting our thoughts. My advice for this case study is to forget that the other people you are with are candidates. Go in with a collaborative mindset, rather than competitive. Take lead for a portion of the presentation, but also be respectful of your peers. Also, speak up when you are presenting your ideas. Answer any of their questions with confidence!

After the group case study, we went to lunch as a group; a few candidates, myself, and one employee (They aren't lying when they say the food is good). Once that was over, I gave my 10-minute presentation to HR and two other employees. I suggest picking a topic you find interesting and can answer questions about afterwards. I wouldn't recommend a narrow-minded topic (i.e. super specific technology or biological process). Pick something that is known to the public, but put a twist/different perspective on it. Most importantly, just be confident! They make it a low-stress situation. I also suggest making handouts or having some type of demonstration to keep the group engaged.

After the presentation, I met with my HR recruiter, where we discussed salary, starting date, relocation information, etc. He also asked some unusual behavioral/personality questions (5 things you are not, assertiveness, collaboration, etc.). A week or so later, I was called with the offer.

At a high level, my advice would be to just be yourself. I know it sounds cliche, but I really mean it. Focus on the assessments (mentally prepare---but honestly no need to study). Once you get past those, research the company, search through Glassdoor, and prepare for all of the questions you expect to see. Once you are onsite, be confident. It is a bit tiring because you have to be "on" for 6 or so hours. You will be by yourself for a few minutes during the day, so take that time to breathe and relax. You aren't guaranteed a job offer after the onsite (I think), but if you go in prepared (research the company) and outwardly show enthusiasm for the company, you should be just fine. Lastly, casual dress code really does mean casual. Don't look sloppy though.

Interview Questions

• Every single question I was asked can be found here on Glassdoor. Sometimes they will ask tricky behavioral questions, and you won't be sure how to answer. Just be confident, justify your answer, and take your time.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Initial phone call to setup test time. They explain the test you will take in the first phone call. If your results are good enough, then you go on site for an interview. Pretty straight forward.

Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

Applied, was invited to do assessments and a phone interview the next day. The interview was pretty easy, a lot of talking about how my plan lines up with Epic. Assessments were ok, I'm not a programmer but the other questions seemed fine.

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI).

Interview

I was contacted via email to set up a phone interview shortly after applying. The phone interview consisted of me talking about a few projects that I had done in school. All in all it took about 30 minutes. After that came a 2-3 hour test, you connect via your webcam with a third party and someone watches you the entire time you take the test. Before I started the test I had to pan around my room for the guy, and use a mirror to show him I didn't have anything to cheat with. You can't navigate outside of the window your test is in or else it freezes, and then you have ask to have it unblocked. The IQ style questions and learning the new language didn't seem too difficult, or so I thought since I didn't move past this stage, I must not have done well. The programming bit at the end was very difficult. You get 4 questions and can't compile anything. I took a shot in the dark and just wrote pseudocode.

I've taken a number of these sort of tests for potential jobs, and they always seem to weed me out. I really wish I could get the results back to see what I did wrong, as it's a bit disconcerting. I did well in school, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong on these tests.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

First stage is a 30 minute phone interview and then a skills assessment test. The phone interview was with an actual Project Manager who spent a lot of time talking about the expectations of the job, the Epic Systems campus, and the job benefits. It's a good opportunity to ask an actual employee about their experiences with Epic. The assessments are focused on skills/personality and learning capabilities (one test teaches you a made-up programming language). The final step is an in-person interview in Madison with a 10 minute presentation. A dinner with an employee is also offered, and I'd recommend you take advantage of it because it does get added to your interview consideration.

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Verona, WI) in May 2017.

Interview

Everything you need to know is pretty much already on here. To add:

Assessments: took me around two hours, coding section was strange (I have no coding experience, thought it was 6/10 in difficulty), logic/math section felt SAT-level of difficulty. Just make sure you're in the right mental space to take a an exam. It's a bit challenging but totally doable.

Phone Screen: really informal, with current Project Manager, standard interview questions (How did you hear about Epic? Why Epic? What do you like to do? Why did you choose your major?), took 25 minutes.

On-Sight: Dinner the night before was nice and it got all basic questions out of the way. The actual day wasn't hard at all. They had us do group interviews, two individual interviews, a group case-study on a go-live scenario, and a 10 minute presentation. There was one 1:1, formal interview where they asked true interview questions, but the rest of the day was more like a big conversation where Epic just wanted to get to know you. Very relaxed dress code: I wore jeans and a nice sweater but would have also felt comfortable in business casual.

All the other reviews on here said the process was much faster than my process took. I was constantly worried they had forgotten about my application. I wish HR was more prompt, it would have made this easier.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage all the work you have to do?   Answer Question
    • How assertive are you on a scale of 1 to 10? What is an example of a time that you were very assertive?   Answer Question
    • What is a good and bad thing that each of your references would say about you?   Answer Question

Technical Services Problem-Solver Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in May 2017.

Interview

One interview via phone, one skills assessment, one personality assessment. The interview went about ~10 minutes, where a recruiter asked a series of questions. The skills assessment was about a 2-4 hour process.