Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Consultant Interview Questions

Updated May 31, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI).

Interview

There was an initial phone screening to make sure I wasn't a serial killer, then a barrage of incredibly annoying online skills tests which were exactly like every other company's online skills tests, but which Epic insisted be online-proctored through a third party website with crappy service and a computer-raping software package that lets them move your mouse and change your settings and sh*t. Of course, once you actually take the tests they're easy, so... Also, the ones you could theoretically cheat on are timed, so you couldn't have cheated anyway, adding insult to the proctoring injury.

I passed the skills tests and got an onsite interview in Madison. This was a great experience--they really sold the company and the role, I finally got to meet people who actually worked there (everything until then was very impersonal), and I walked away feeling good about the position. I didn't ultimately get the offer, and I have no idea why (there weren't any quantifiable things being analyzed at this stage), but the final interview did make me more upset about not getting the job than the giant nothing I would have felt after the skills test stage. Altogether, though, I'm viewing it as God's grace that I didn't end up living in Madison.

Edit: If you apply for the Implementation Consultant position, there is a good chance they'll try to convince you to do Quality Assurance instead. Don't bite; it's qualitatively worse in every way--especially compensation--and anyone who works there will tell you that straight-up if you press them (or they're just lying to you). I have a sneaking suspicion that if I had accepted the QA position I would have an offer from Epic right now, but joke's on them because now I'm an implementation consultant at a better company. ;)

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

I applied in October 2015. I accepted their offer, including a full relocation package.

The process starts out as an online application with standard resume submission. The next step in the process is a basic phone screening. It will be with a current Epic employee who has been in the role you are applying for for a few years. Standard interview questions to start. They also ask about your development and career path from high school through college. "Why did you choose your degree program?"

After the phone interview, if you pass, you are invited to take their skills assessment. It involves basic word associations and how well you can easily pick up a new coding language. You are exposed to the basic syntax of a coding language and then asked questions based upon what you've learned thus far. You are then presented with three longer questions to answer with a program designed and self-written in the coding language of your choice. You can even write in pseudocode (writing out in plain english the logic the program would have to follow) to answer the problem correctly. Each of these assessments are timed and you should do your best to answer all of them. You also fill out a personality test profile to complete the assessment. Allow yourself at least three hours to complete the assessment. You are also watched remotely while you take the assessment through a website called ProctorU. No cheating possible.

Assuming you make it past this stage, you are then invited to an onsite interview in Verona, WI. They fly you into Dane County Regional Airport just outside Madison the night before your interview (expect to connect either in O'Hare, Detroit, or Minneapolis). You are given the opportunity to go to dinner with an Epic employee the night before your interview. I highly suggest you go and meet with your host and other interviewees. They put you up in a very nice Hilton owned property in a suite in Downtown Madison. Take some time after dinner to walk around see State Street, the Capitol, and the UW campus. It's a great town and you'll want to have a good idea of where you could possibly be living.

The next day you will have a fully scheduled and planned out day. Expect a taxi to pick you and other interviewees at the hotel around 8:00am. Your day will start out at 8:30 or so with a company overview and software demonstration. The next will be an overview of your position with a new person for ~30 min where you can ask questions about the role and their daily life. The next portion will be a case study, where you will be presented with a typical problem situation and given 10 minutes to examine and prioritize how you would handle it. You will then present your findings and rationale to a group of 2 people. After this you have lunch with another employee and some other interviewees in Epic's amazing cafeteria. Lunch is free for you, so sample everything to see how good it all is! You will then take another Skills Assessment with HR that is shorter than the one you took previously. Almost to the end, you will present on a topic of your choice to four Epic employees (including 2 HR representatives). You are NOT allowed a PowerPoint for this presentation. I recommend handouts and using the whiteboard that is available to you. Present on something you are very knowledgable and can answer questions about readily. Finally, you wrap up in your HR representatives office and review your expectations for salary and the benefits package. Let them know if you have other offers on the table, it will expedite things on their end in getting back to you.

I received an offer 5 days after finishing my on-site interview and accepted a week later after some minor negotiation on salary. It is excellent for an out of school job relative to the cost of living. Full relocation package is available to you.

I hope I answered everything in this post. My interview experience may differ from yours, but this should give you the big picture. Good luck!

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in March 2016.

Interview

It starts with just submitting the online resume. Then you get contacted for a phone interview and you are asked to take a skills assessment exam (if you did well on your ACT/SAT, you will be fine) and then you may get the in-person interview. This was actually really fun! You have to just be "on" for the whole day, which can be challenging. You have small "group" interviews throughout the day with Epic staff, 1:1 interviews with both current Project Managers and Recruiters, a tour, an informal lunch, a 10 min presentation, and a case study. Just make sure you research the company a lot before coming to their campus.

Interview Questions

• What are some things you are not? What do you know about the position already? What are some of your hesitations towards Epic? What are some of the negative things you have heard about us?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in March 2016.

Interview

The initial phone interview was relatively easy, and was scheduled within a few days of submitting my initial application through their website. I spoke with someone who was a current project manager during my phone interview, which was nice because I was able to ask him specific questions about the job. After this, I took the technical evaluation online. I had a lot of issues with getting part of the test to load, but I don't think this is a typical problem

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in March 2016.

Interview

Started by applying online. Very simple application. Couple days later received a request to set up a phone interview. Don't stress over this. Current project manager goes through your experience, very relaxed. Next I got an email requesting a skill test assessment. This was long and not bad, but I think I bombed the coding part (Only self taught through CodeAcademy).

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in March 2016.

Interview

The first step was to apply online. Was soon contacted to set up a phone interview and to schedule an online skills assessment. The phone interview was informal - quickly went over resume and told me more about the position. This skills test was pretty difficult, particularly if you've never taken any introductory computer science courses. I was contacted a few days later and told that they were moving on with other candidates, but was offered to interview for the Software Tester role.

Interview Questions

• Did you take any time off between high school and college   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Detroit, MI) in March 2016.

Interview

First I had a 30 minute phone interview, relatively simple - they asked general questions like: "Tell me about yourself." and "Why do you want this job?". Then I had to take an online personality test. Then I had to take a 3 hour long skills based test which included logic, and a difficult coding section.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI).

Interview

There were three phases to the interview. I would recommend doing plenty of research on this website if you want to advance. I spent hours looking at reviews on this website and I can honestly say it helped me tremendously.

Phase 1) Met a recruiter at my college job fair and was contacted a week later saying they would like me to take the exam and do a phone interview.
    Phase 2) Exam and phone interview. Phone interview was very brief and was with a current PM. I could tell that it wasn't really about the interview and what mattered was how well I did on the exam. Phone interview was basic and lasted like ten minutes. Questions were things like "where do you see yourself in five years, what do you know about the role, how often are you willing to travel, why Epic?". The exam will take around two hours. It took me just under two. It's filmed and there is a virtual proctor making sure that you don't cheat. There are four sections - speed, math, comprehension/grammar, and programming. For this position, the programming part is more of a can you pick things up quickly and use logical thought. It was tough but if you do your research on here and on Google you'll come in with an idea of what the questions will be like. There's also a behavioral test that takes around 30 minutes of your time. It'll make you rank things and put what you're most like.
    Phase 3) If you make it through phase two, they'll email you and ask you to fly out within the next two weeks. That part is really fun. You can choose to get dinner with an employee the night before your actual interview and get a feel for the role. If you do this you'll meet other applicants and get to experience some of Madison's downtown cuisine. The process is pretty seamless and stress free. Epic is flying in tons of recruits so everything is very planned and orderly. If you're good with people, this is your time to shine.
    -The actual interview the next day consists of 4 interviews, one presentation, one case study, lunch, and an intro to the actual software. There's an informal interview with an actual PM where you just kinda talk about the role and ask questions. Then there's an HR interview where you'll be asked behavioral questions. Most of these center on how well you're able to work in a group --my advice is to emphasize the importance of communication and being a team player. This is where you'll need to think of your STAR format answers. After that, there's an interview with a PM where you'll be asked specific questions regarding how you'd handle things as a PM. The questions are more about how you think and how you react to things. The fourth interview is one with HR that's pretty brief. It just asks typical questions, all of which you can see on this website in someone's review. This is where the "list five things you're not" question comes in. I found this part to be the most exhausting because it was the end of the day and I was really tired. For some reason it was harder for me to think of answers during this interview than any of the others. They'll also ask you what you want your starting salary to be--and if you're just graduating college the correct answer is anywhere from the high 50's to the mid-sixties. That's the typical range for the position if you've got less than a year of professional experience. The presentation is pretty standard and you'll get to make it on anything you want. My advice is to pick something topical that the people will find interesting. There was a lady frowning at me the entire time I did mine which kind of threw me but eh. The case study is pretty basic and they're really just looking to see if you can think logically and back up your answers. You're given a scenario and ten minutes to review it before you've gotta write down the issues and their order of importance and what you'd do to solve them. Lunch is just in the cafeteria with a ton of other applicants and an employee.

I was flown out on Monday and received my offer later that week. I also had another job on the table and that expedited the process. My advice to anyone reading this would be to do your research. Come in prepared by looking through all the reviews on this website and googling epic stuff. Also, if you're not good with people, practice(?). Although, this may not be the job for you if you're not a people person. I'm a people person so I made sure to talk to every employee and applicant and try to connect. Don't go overboard though, there's a delicate balance when it comes to working a room and seeming enthusiastic about the position vs trying too hard. I immediately accepted my offer because it seems like a pretty sweet deal. The campus was amazing and the people were really, really friendly. But if you're just starting the process-- make sure you take time and do well on those tests.

Interview Questions

• list five things you are not, what are three things good and bad your employers would say about you, why Epic? If you had a project you'd been working on for a while that fell through, how would you react? In a group setting with five people, what percent of the time are you speaking? What do you expect your salary to be?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in February 2016.

Interview

The process was very straight forward; matching the applicant with their strengths. We went over my resume and spoke at length on my achievements and interests. The interviewer was very friendly. The interviewer is a project manager as well so they were able to answer job specific questions.

Interview Questions

• What are the three main criteria for evaluating a job offer you might accept?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online and had a very brief phone interview and then was given an assessment test. I felt like the person giving me the phone interview had no interest in what I was actually saying and it was just a formality.

Interview Questions

• Very basic informational interview questions. How did you hear about us? Why epic? Etc.   Answer Question