Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 20, 2018
3,538 Interview Reviews

2.9

Technical Services Problem-Solver Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

The interview is three parts: a phone interview (about 30 minutes), a skills assessment (around 2 hours for me, but the time does vary depending on what your applying for), and an onsite interview. I only did the first two parts before I was rejected. I've been told that if you're invited to the onsite interview, there is a very high chance that they will hire you.

The phone interview process was pretty easy and straight-forward. They ask you the typical interview questions, go over you resume, and tell you about the role you applying for and Epic in general. You have the opportunity to ask them questions at the end, and that's it. From what I've been told, this part doesn't hold too much sway on whether you'll be invited for an onsite interview.

The skills assessment is what will make or break you. The assessments you take vary depending on the job you apply for. I applied for the Technical Services position, so my assessment was four parts. I had some bad luck from the get-go. The assessments are administered remotely, and you are assigned and overseer who will walk you through the process, tell you about the assessments (what you can have on hand, how long they are, if there are timed or not, etc.) and will watch you through your web cam as you take the assessments to make sure you aren't cheating.

My particular session was pretty bad. For one, I had a overseer who told me conflicting information. He told me that two of my assessments were timed and two were not. Turns out all of them were timed. Secondly, when technical problems occurred, he seemed to not know what to do and it took nearly 30 minutes for him to find someone else to solve the problem. Keep in mind you're not allowed to move at all, so I had to sit there and wait.

I'm not convinced this bad luck kept me from getting an offer for the in-person interview (many people don't pass this part of the interview) but I wish I had the best circumstances to do my absolute best on them. For instance, I was completely off-guard for the first assessment, which was timed, and wasn't able to complete it, because my overseer told me it wasn't timed. The technical issue was not only annoying but made me a bit nervous for the rest of the assessments. Again, I could have easily failed them even if I had the best overseer in the world, but I just wish they made sure that these folks were on their A-game.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

A manager called me for the initial interview asked a couple of behavioral questions and asked if I had any questions. Mainly talked about the project manager position. I took skills assessment which took about 2 hours to complete. Overall average experience.

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) in November 2017.

Interview

After applying, I received an email asking me to schedule a phone interview and to take a personality test. After scheduling the interview, I was sent another email asking me to complete some online tests. I wish there would have been some kind of description about these tests because I was completely unprepared. I had read a lot of reviews on here, and knew that I would be required to take tests, but I did not realize how intense these would be and that there would be somebody watching me take the test over my webcam. If I had known what to expect, I would have been better prepared, but instead, I found myself sprawled out on the couch in my pajamas taking a test on intense math and coding while some creepy dude watched me and I had to ask permission to use the bathroom and pause my test. Not cool. I then took the phone interview a few days later, which went great. A week later I received an email saying that they would not be moving forward with me. I was so disappointed. A) I wish I could have the opportunity to retake the test because I know I would have performed way better if I had been in the correct mindset. And B) They never even got to see my writing- which is what I applied to do there. They made a judgement not to move forward with me because of how I performed on a test that was irrelevant to my position.

Interview Questions

• If you were offered multiple jobs, how would you decide what company to go with?   Answer Question

Technical Problem Solver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Ann Arbor, MI) in November 2017.

Interview

Got a phone interview, followed by a technical/logical reasoning assessment. Phone interview lasted about 40 minutes and felt very casual and low-stress. Assessments were kind of stressful, but I was contacted the following day to schedule an onsite interview (which I have yet to go to.)

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI) in November 2017.

Interview

Epic has a very professional and streamlined interview process consisting of a phone interview, skills assessment, and final onsite interview.

The first step in the process is a phone interview (approximately 30 minutes) with a Software Developer. They will ask a variety of questions regarding your education (e.g., did you attend college immediately following high school or did you enter the workforce first), work history, and reasons why you want to work for Epic.

Next, a skills assessment is conducted, facilitated by ProctorU. The skills assessment has a few sections - you'll have to answer questions regarding a scripting language (pretty easy if you've ever programmed before, just basic Boolean questions), a quick math section, and there's a coding section. Overall, it should only take an hour or so.

Finally, if you pass the skills assessment, you'll be invited for a final interview at their Madison, WI campus. You'll be given the option to stay for an additional day to explore the city after the interview (I wasn't able to due to my schedule). Upon arriving, you'll have a host take you and other applicants out to dinner and answer any questions you have regarding Madison and Epic.

Your onsite interview consists of a few different parts. First, you'll be shown a presentation of Epic's current software offerings. Afterward, you'll have to give a presentation of a previous project (in depth) to a developer, answer a hypothetical design question (personally found this to be the most difficult interview), have lunch at their main cafeteria (prepare to be amazed), be given a tour of some of the campus, and finally have an interview with HR (questions about your strengths, weaknesses, group interactions, what would your references say about you, etc.).

Overall, I had a great interview experience (better than most companies I've interviewed with).

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin).

Interview

The call consisted of around a 30 minute conversation of back and forth dialogue. She asked basic questions and then discussed her job. I was then given the opportunity to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself professionally and personally in 5 years?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

There are three parts- a phone screen, a remotely-proctored online assessment, and an on-site interview. I made it to the online assessment.

The phone screen is actually very straightforward. They just want to know why you're interested in the company, and have you walk them through a project you've done in the past to demonstrate good background.

The online assessment was the worst interview experience I've ever had but not because of the assessment itself. If you're not familiar with ProctorU, it's a remote proctoring service where you screen-share and have your room monitored for the entirety of an examination. You get one bathroom break and a fairly intrusive environment where you need to open up a port in your computer for them to view incoming/outgoing traffic. The exam involves having you solve some standard programming questions, a speed-focused logic section, and an interesting section where you learn Epic's internal language on the fly and answer some questions about it. So this assessment seems to take people 2-4 hours.

My issue had less to do with the assessment itself (which I thought was interesting and quite fair) and more to do with ProctorU. If your connection bugs out for a few seconds, your assessment is paused and you may wait anywhere between 5 to 20 minutes for a new proctor to show up, during which you aren't allowed to go and take a bathroom break. So I spent a total of about an hour dealing with technical difficulties during/between sections because my bandwidth was about average and not capable of keeping up a constant, good-quality stream to a remote location while taking an exam in real time.

Overall if they figure out some way to ensure compliance without using a program like ProctorU, or just defaulting to onsites, that'd be great. I think the online assessment was actually a pretty interesting and otherwise useful system. But the online assessment was, for me, a pretty bad experience just because of the proctoring software.

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Madison, WI).

Interview

An Epic recruiter found my resume on a job board and reached out to me through email originally for the project manager position. I also met with some recruiters at a campus recruitment career fair. I then did an online 3 assessment and had a phone interview. After the phone interview, the recruiter suggested that I actually interview for the Quality Assurance position. I was then flown to the Wisconsin location for an onsite interview where we had a behavioral HR interview, QA interview, and a small task/activity type interview(?).

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Epic?   Answer Question
    • Review an app and tell me what you think about it (from a quality assurance perspective).   Answer Question

Technical Services Problem-Solver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted soon after for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 mins (questions below) and was told I would be contacted if I made it through.

Technical Problem Solver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Telephone, TX) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and got an email a few days later that I would have a phone interview that needed to be scheduled in the next week along with an involved testing process.